• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump's Best Press Conference

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The Media Finally Figured Out How to Rattle Donald Trump

Donald Trump, to his credit, makes himself readily available to the press. This does not always mean that the press always makes the most of Trump’s availabilities or that Trump uses the time to offer thoughtful responses. At his not-infrequent press conferences, Trump typically babbles about his greatness and the weakness of his opponents, and the press laughs along with the shtick, gets its quotes, and moves along.

Tuesday’s conference was different. It was contentious and uncomfortable, which is to say it was the best Trump press conference yet.

At issue during this Press Conference was the Republican Presidential Candidate's often-repeated and very public boast about raising six million dollars for Veterans instead of attending the last debate in Iowa, hosted by Fox. A subsequent investigation by the Washington Post tried to track down the money, but could only account for roughly half of the money. The Trump campaign responded by stonewalling reporters, offering a lower estimate of the amount raised, and Trump only cut the one million that he promised to donate himself just this last week (along with about a dozen other checks that same day).

The Press Conference initially consisted of Donald Trump reading off the 41 veterans groups which received donations for a total 5.6 million - still shy of the 6 million claim, but close enough. The "official" Trump story (at least as of today) is full of inaccuracies and pants-on-fire lies, but the most important thing is that the Veterans got their money.

So kudos to the media for holding his feet to the fire. When you try to use the veterans as a political prop for your campaign by claiming to raise money for them, then you had better damn well send them the money.

But then, the Press Conference took a fairly typical turn when Donald Trump started to attack the media. And normally, when Trump attacks the media, he does so from a dais surrounded by thousands of supporters where the reporters are unable to respond. Tuesday was different because when Trump attacked them this time, they were standing right there and could fire back.

Jim Acosta [whom Trump mocked as a "real beauty"], of CNN, asked, "You seem to be resistant to this kind of scrutiny, the kind of scrutiny that comes with running for President of the United States."

Tom Llamas [whom Trump referred to as a "real sleeze"], of ABC, asked, "You said you had raised $6 million. Clearly you had not. Your critics say you tend to exaggerate and have a problem with the truth. Is this a prime example?"

Carl Cameron, of Fox News, wanted to know why Trump was treating questions as attacks and another reporter wanted to know if Trump would need thicker skin as president

Kudos to the Media.

At issue during this Press Conference was the Republican Presidential Candidate's often-repeated and very public boast about raising six million dollars for Veterans instead of attending the last debate in Iowa, hosted by Fox. A subsequent investigation by the Washington Post tried to track down the money, but could only account for roughly half of the money. The Trump campaign responded by stonewalling reporters, offering a lower estimate of the amount raised, and Trump only cut the one million that he promised to donate himself just this last week (along with about a dozen other checks that same day).

The Press Conference initially consisted of Donald Trump reading off the 41 veterans groups which received donations for a total 5.6 million - still shy of the 6 million claim, but close enough. The "official" Trump story (at least as of today) is full of inaccuracies and pants-on-fire lies, but the most important thing is that the Veterans got their money.

So kudos to the media for holding his feet to the fire. When you try to use the veterans as a political prop for your campaign by claiming to raise money for them, then you had better damn well send them the money.

But then, the Press Conference took a fairly typical turn when Donald Trump started to attack the media. And normally, when Trump attacks the media, he does so from a dais surrounded by thousands of supporters where the reporters are unable to respond. Tuesday was different because when Trump attacked them this time, they were standing right there and could fire back.

Kudos to the Media.

I think the MSM ranks up there with used car salesmen, ambulance chasing lawyers, and snake oil traveling salesmen. They just aren't credible anymore, if they ever were. This, no doubt will garner more support for DJT.

I think the MSM ranks up there with used car salesmen, ambulance chasing lawyers, and snake oil traveling salesmen. They just aren't credible anymore, if they ever were. This, no doubt will garner more support for DJT.

:eek: I thought you weren't allowed to initial them until they actually become POTUS?

Forcing The Drumpf to actually keep to his promise of giving money to charity groups makes the media more discredited?

And yes, I suppose that individuals who support The Drumpf will only be more enamored by his lying and manipulation of veteran's groups.

Forcing The Drumpf to actually keep to his promise of giving money to charity groups makes the media more discredited?

And yes, I suppose that individuals who support The Drumpf will only be more enamored by his lying and manipulation of veteran's groups.

Hadn't half the committed money already been distributed.
And they said the rest of the groups were being vetted.
Do you know that's not true?

Gotta admit ... with Trump reaming the media while they're sitting there I'm thinking maybe he's not that bad after all.

Yes - with the other half coming two weeks AFTER a Washington Post published investigation into the whereabouts of the money. And four months after he supposedly raised the money.

Yes, I do know that isn't true because they said - at the time - that they already had the groups lined up. And to the extent that they did vet some other groups, they did not do a very good job.

Tell me something bubba.

Did Trump lie about raising six million dollars? Did he lie about making the donations before two weeks ago? Did he lie yesterday when he said that he wanted to keep the donations a private situation?

Kudos to the Media.

Greetings, MrT. :2wave:

I have no love for The Donald, but fair is fair. These were pledges received, not people contributing on the spot. It takes time, and sometimes follow-up, to receive pledged money, and it can take months. He did honor his own pledge of $One million dollars, which I was glad to hear. The veterans would never have to worry about Trump keeping his word to them, IMO. Have the other two candidates been willing to step up to the plate and do something similar for any group who needs our help? If so, I haven't heard about it...

The only thing that has less credibility than the 'MSM', used car salesmen, ambulance chasing lawyers or traveling snake oil sellers is Trump!

Go Trump!

Yes - with the other half coming two weeks AFTER a Washington Post published investigation into the whereabouts of the money. And four months after he supposedly raised the money.

Yes, I do know that isn't true because they said - at the time - that they already had the groups lined up. And to the extent that they did vet some other groups, they did not do a very good job.

Actually having commitments to contribute and having the actual money contributed aren't the same, no.
And I guess having groups lined up isn't the same as having groups vetted.
Hillary said Trump didn't distribute anything until the WAPO story. Was that true?

Tell me something bubba.

Did Trump lie about raising six million dollars? Did he lie about making the donations before two weeks ago? Did he lie yesterday when he said that he wanted to keep the donations a private situation?

He raised what, 5.6 million?
I don't know.
I don't know.
Did Hillary lie?

Actually having commitments to contribute and having the actual money contributed aren't the same, no.
And I guess having groups lined up isn't the same as having groups vetted.
Hillary said Trump didn't distribute anything until the WAPO story. Was that true?

Got a source for that claim? Here is the closest that I found:

You know, he's bragged for months about raising $6 million dollars for veterans, and donating a million dollars himself, but it took a reporter to shame him into actually making his contribution, and getting money to veterans’ groups.

Considering that he personally did not make the one million donation until two weeks ago (and four months after he promised to make the donation...or wait, four months after he "made the commitment to contribute"...guess he needed to raise the "actual money?"), then she made an accurate statement.

He raised what, 5.6 million?

Is that 6 million, yes or no?

I don't know.

You don't know if it's a lie to claim that you made six million in donations when, in fact, you had only made three million in donations before two weeks ago?

I don't know.

You don't know if it's a lie to claim that you wanted to keep the donations private while simultaneously making multiple statements, in public and on your website, about said donations?

Kudos to the Media.

Now if the media can finally figure out how to equally rattle Hillary, at least it'd be even handed.
Of course I don't realistically expect any of that. :roll:

Now if the media can finally figure out how to equally rattle Hillary, at least it'd be even handed.
Of course I don't realistically expect any of that. :roll:

And that is because of the differences in the individual being interviewed.

Hillary spent 11 hours being grilled by a Republican lead Congressional Committee without being rattled. I simultaneously believe that the media is unlikely to be able to approach that level of intense questioning and I tend to believe that the Drumpf would not have faired so well.

Hillary spent 11 hours being grilled by a Republican lead Congressional Committee without being rattled. I simultaneously believe that the media is unlikely to be able to approach that level of intense questioning and I tend to believe that the Drumpf would not have faired so well.

You must have forgotten "What difference, at this point, does it make?".

You must have forgotten "What difference, at this point, does it make?".

Setting aside that you are referencing a completely separate congressional hearing that she also endured on this very topic, that is a weak, but valid, example of her being rattled.

OK, so the same level of vetting that Obama went through (hardly any at all) is the same level of vetting that Hillary is going to go through. Got it.

Drive-By Media Mission: Protect Hillary

Seems to be a good bit of truth to this position. The media does appear to be protecting Hillary. They let he skate on far too many of her lies.

And if you dislike the Lumbaugh citation, which I suspect, which is fine, he is a buffoon, here are many others that have come to the same conclusion.

Sure, you can dismiss one, or even two of these citations, but all of them? That's not really credible. The only conclusion that I come to is that the media really is protecting Hillary from herself and her misdeeds.

She did?
Which Democrats would you say "grilled" her?
How many hours did she spend answering tough questions.
Very sloppy of you.

She did?
Which Democrats would you say "grilled" her?
How many hours did she spend answering tough questions.
Very sloppy of you.

And that's a very weak defense by you.

Would you prefer that I say she subjected herself to 6 hours of grilling by Republican Congressmen without being rattled?

Is that 6 million, yes or no?

You don't know if it's a lie to claim that you made six million in donations when, in fact, you had only made three million in donations before two weeks ago?

You don't know if it's a lie to claim that you wanted to keep the donations private while simultaneously making multiple statements, in public and on your website, about said donations?

Already addressed that. Stay focused and stop being so sloppy with word choice.

And that's a very weak defense by you.

Would you prefer that I say she subjected herself to 6 hours of grilling by Republican Congressmen without being rattled?

That would be wrong too.

But as long as we're on the tangent, have her public comments about her damn emails accurate?
Or how about Benghazi?

Kudos to the Media.

I can only note that the last of the money, Trump's, only arrived AFTER the media started pressing.

That suggests dishonesty. I'm happy for the Veterans, but there were just used as pawns in a free grab at publicity of which Trump will only ver note is that he raised the money.......

Did you miss the part where the MSM used evidence to prove that it is Trump who is not credible?

Of course, as you note, this will "garner more support" for him, because he's borrowed the malicious tactic employed by conservative candidates for many years now: convince their duped followers that if a conservative is criticized in any way - by anyone, not just the MSM - that is proof that the conservative is awesome and that the attacker is part of a vast liberal conspiracy to victimize conservatives.

Back
Top Bottom