• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump's Attitude Toward Members of the Armed Forces

So if you are concerned about support for the military how does this sit with you?

You conflate supporting the military with supporting war. I don't see protesting a war as anti-military. I support taking care of our troops, recognizing and respecting their sacrifices, and not needlessly throwing their lives away to make money for war profiteers and to score political points.

I see trying to get disabled veteran entrepreneurs kicked off 5th Ave because you think it lowers your property value as disrespectful to our military.

You conflate supporting the military with supporting war. I don't see protesting a war as anti-military. I support taking care of our troops, recognizing and respecting their sacrifices, and not needlessly throwing their lives away to make money for war profiteers and to score political points.

I see trying to get disabled veteran entrepreneurs kicked off 5th Ave because you think it lowers your property value as disrespectful to our military.

When at war any American protesting the war on foreign soil is committing treason IMO. Totally stunning comments as apparently your biased partisan point of view ignores this OP and actual pictures of Hanoi Jane on an anti aircraft battery

When at war any American protesting the war on foreign soil is committing treason IMO. Totally stunning comments as apparently your biased partisan point of view ignores this OP and actual pictures of Hanoi Jane on an anti aircraft battery

You can have any opinion you want.

A lot of brave people died to protect Jane Fonda's right to protest the war. The President thinks those people are losers and suckers. I think they are heroes. What do you think of them?

It's never a soldier's personal failures that he is captured, injured or killed. That's the bad luck of the draw. A plan is drawn up and executed with changes on the fly and sometimes something goes wrong and a position is overrun. That position, and the people in it, didn't do anything wrong. It's just plans don't work perfectly and in war there is human cost to imperfection.

The guy who got overrun took one for the team. He just happened to be in a bad spot and paid the ultimate price for our country.

That is why we, the military, hold those who pay the ultimate price in the highest regard. It could have just as well have been us. It has nothing to do with skill. Others get to go home and they did not. They are our heroes. They are the people for which we fight. They will not be forgotten.

That our Commander in Chief does not understand this is a horrible shame upon America and the free world.

It's never a soldier's personal failures that he is captured, injured or killed. That's the bad luck of the draw. A plan is drawn up and executed with changes on the fly and sometimes something goes wrong and a position is overrun. That position, and the people in it, didn't do anything wrong. It's just plans don't work perfectly and in war there is human cost to imperfection.

The guy who got overrun took one for the team. He just happened to be in a bad spot and paid the ultimate price for our country.

That is why we, the military, hold those who pay the ultimate price in the highest regard. It could have just as well have been us. It has nothing to do with skill. Others get to go home and they did not. They are our heroes. They are the people for which we fight. They will not be forgotten.

That our Commander in Chief does not understand this is a horrible shame upon America and the free world.

Well said, and thank you for your service.

You can have any opinion you want.

A lot of brave people died to protect Jane Fonda's right to protest the war. The President thinks those people are losers and suckers. I think they are heroes. What do you think of them?

Jane Fonda's right to protest the war isn't the issue, where she protested is. Also this is 2020 and not 2016 and yet you want to use campaign issues that didn't sell in 2016 now. Yours is purely an anti Trump vote and not a pro Biden vote. How can anyone vote against anything and not something positive to vote for? What will Biden/Harris do that makes this country stronger and safer? Read the issues and then tell us which of those issues you truly support. Also better check results because Biden has been in public office for over 45 years and one has to question why he didn't solve those issues with influence over other Presidents and in particular the last 8 years of Obama

Well...let's see...I can support your psychobabble explanation of what Trump REALLY means when he says stuff...or I can support his actions in regard to the members of our military.

Hmmm...which one is based on reality, I wonder?

Yeah...this is a no-brainer question.

/thread dismissed

Agreed. As a veteran, I care about what a president does or does not do in office. That includes policies in regards to active duty military and veterans. I have been enrolled in the VA Healthcare system since 2013. Under President Trump, VA healthcare has improved to the point that is in my opinion superior to Medicare and costs me much less. I have no premiums and very low copayments. Based on that, I declined Medicare Part B,C, D, etc and only have Part A for hospital coverage. I really do not give a damn about his spat with Former Senator John McCain or what he said about a gold star family the democrats exploited in the 2016 campaign.

There has been much debate around whether President Trump called Marines buried in Aisne-Marne American Cemetery "losers and suckers." The crux of this issue for most people seems to center around the reliability of anonymous sources, whether Fox news confirmed key aspects of the story, how many firsthand accounts there are of people hearing the President NOT say those things, etc.

None of that is what this post is about. I'm not terribly interested in whether or not President Trump said those particular things on that particular occasion. If it is a lie, it is a believable one because of the kernal of truth behind it.

What I do know is that he said this: "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I like people who weren't captured ok?"

Many would like to pretend that this is an insult specifically and exclusively to John McCain, but it is not. It is an insult to every US POW that the Commander in Chief only likes the people who weren't captured.

It is not hard to understand his reasoning here. As he says elsewhere on this same occasion, "I don't like losers." This is telling of his winners/losers worldview, and consistent with what he has said and done long before becoming president, and continuing through his presidency.

He likes the soldiers that go to the place, kill the bad guys, and then come home safe and sound. That's how you win at Call of Duty. You complete all the mission objectives and survive all the levels in order to win, and that makes you a 'winner.' You don't win if you get captured halfway through the level. You lose. That makes you a 'loser.'

So what if you get killed halfway through the level? What does that make you according to this winners/losers worldview lens?

Regardless of whether he actually said it or not in regards to the Marines buried in Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, it does not stretch the imagination at all to imagine Trump saying "He's not a war hero. He's a war hero 'cause he got himself killed. I like people who weren't killed ok?"
So I grew up in the Vietnam era and watched liberals throw things at veterans coming home, curse them, call them horrible names and accuse them of horrible crimes. Not some soldiers, they accused all of them. So lets hear you defense of the left attacking our soldiers.

So I grew up in the Vietnam era and watched liberals throw things at veterans coming home, curse them, call them horrible names and accuse them of horrible crimes. Not some soldiers, they accused all of them. So lets hear you defense of the left attacking our soldiers.

Yep. It's amazing how the left respects the military only when they think they can gain from it. I was on active duty during the last couple years of the Vietnam War. While I never went to Vietnam, I still faced some of the disrespect from the left that you are citing. All it took was the uniform or an obvious military haircut.

Agreed. As a veteran, I care about what a president does or does not do in office. That includes policies in regards to active duty military and veterans. I have been enrolled in the VA Healthcare system since 2013. Under President Trump, VA healthcare has improved to the point that is in my opinion superior to Medicare and costs me much less. I have no premiums and very low copayments. Based on that, I declined Medicare Part B,C, D, etc and only have Part A for hospital coverage. I really do not give a damn about his spat with Former Senator John McCain or what he said about a gold star family the democrats exploited in the 2016 campaign.

Thank you for your service.

I am glad that you have medical care available with no premiums and low copayments. Which of President Trump's bills do you attribute that coverage to, and what do you like better about it than the Veteran's Choice program?

I don't defend anyone throwing things at soldiers, cursing them or calling them names.

I do think you are painting the left with a broad brush. I know for a fact that there were people on the left who served in Vietnam, and that there were friends and family on the left who welcomed their sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, husbands and wives back home with tears of joy, and without any curses or name-calling.

Yep. It's amazing how the left respects the military only when they think they can gain from it. I was on active duty during the last couple years of the Vietnam War. While I never went to Vietnam, I still faced some of the disrespect from the left that you are citing. All it took was the uniform or an obvious military haircut.

I am sorry for what you went through. You shouldn't have been treated that way.

That wasn't it.

I am glad that you have medical care available with no premiums and low copayments. Which of President Trump's bills do you attribute that coverage to, and what do you like better about it than the Veteran's Choice program?

Thanks. The Veterans Choice program was a start, however it did little to nothing as far as fixing the bureaucratic issues that were causing so many veterans to get sicker or die on waiting lists. And the VA Mission Act signed into law in 2018 by Trump has added many more choices. Some of which I have benefited from.

Thanks. The Veterans Choice program was a start, however it did little to nothing as far as fixing the bureaucratic issues that were causing so many veterans to get sicker or die on waiting lists. And the VA Mission Act signed into law in 2018 by Trump has added many more choices. Some of which I have benefited from.

President Trump didn't really have anything to do with the Mission Act though. It passed both the House and the Senate with an overwhelming supermajority, so the President couldn't have stopped it even if he wanted to. Signing the bill was an expedient formality that benefitted him politically. He had no hand in writing it. He took no action to fight on behalf of veterans. All he did with regard to the Mission Act was to sign a bill that was already going to become law no matter what he did. How does that tell you anything about his character?

An action that does tell you something about his character is that he told the American people that Mexico would pay for the wall but then stole 3.6 Billion dollars from the military to pay for it instead.

Another indication of his character with regard to the military is the scores of Retired military leaders that renounced him.

Context?

Context?

You really expect these brain dead mocha latte liberals to use the actual context? ;)

The context is that he was talking about members of the US armed forces. Some people think that POWs like John McCain are heroes because of the sacrifices they made for their Country. Trump says that doesn't make them heroes. He likes people who don't get captured. That is the context.

I could give a shit when liberals pretend to care about military people.

They only care when they get one that reinforces there agendas.

Yeup, lived through the same thing, hence when Now when we are Supporting Our Troops and people try thanking me for my service I only think, ya where were you back in the days we were despised, I usually just nod and walk away.

I could give a shit when liberals pretend to care about military people.

They only care when they get one that reinforces there agendas.
Projection at it's finest.

Yeup, lived through the same thing, hence when Now when we are Supporting Our Troops and people try thanking me for my service I only think, ya where were you back in the days we were despised, I usually just nod and walk away.

Liberals can go screw themselves with anything concerning the well being of the military.

Fakes......every one of them.

They fell right in line with Kerry's demonizing of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan here on DP.

Liberals can go screw themselves with anything concerning the well being of the military.

Fakes......every one of them.

They fell right in line with Kerry's demonizing of our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan here on DP.

Does that include liberals in the military? Can they go screw themselves with anything concerning their own well being?

Back
Top Bottom