• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trumpism is American fascism

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

tagreuters.com2021binary_LYNXMPEH0R1RZ-BASEIMAGE-346x188.jpg

2/1/21
It is revealing how a political movement that claims to be dedicated to the recovery of national greatness has so readily and completely abandoned many defining national ideals. Donald Trump’s promise of American strength has involved the betrayal of American identity. A just society must be consciously constructed by citizens possessing certain virtues. A democracy in particular depends on people who take responsibility for their communities, show an active concern for the welfare of their neighbors, demand integrity from public officials, defend the rule of law, and respect the rights and dignity of others. Without these moral commitments, a majority is merely a mob. What type of citizen has Trump — and his supportive partisan media — produced? Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) still holds her job in Congress because she is representative of ascendant MAGA radicalism. Those who reflect her overt racism, her unhinged conspiracy thinking and her endorsement of violence against public figures are now treated as a serious political constituency within the Republican Party. Trump has come down firmly on Greene’s side. Call this civic barbarism. Instead of promoting the values of responsible citizenship, Trump and his media enablers are elevating and blessing the very worst among us. They are making many Americans less suited for self-government and more dangerous to their neighbors.

How can anyone view the trashing of our founding tradition as evidence of patriotism? Because some have adopted a very different political philosophy than the Founders held. This approach to government promises the recovery of a mythical past. It feeds a sense of White victimhood. It emphasizes emotion over reason. It denigrates experts and expertise. It slanders outsiders and blames them for social and economic ills. It warns of global plots by Jews and shadowy elites. It accepts the lies of a leader as a deeper form of political truth. It revels in anger and dehumanization. It praises law and order while reserving the right to disobey the law and overturn the political order through violence. This is a reality that I have resisted naming. The 45th president and a significant portion of his supporters have embraced American fascism. Though he probably cannot name the political theory he has embraced, his own recklessness, vanity and authoritarian instincts have led him down fascist grooves. He displays an intuitive affinity for leaders such as Russia’s Vladimir Putin, Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Hungary’s Viktor Orban. And Trump would have subverted the legitimate result of the 2020 presidential election if he could have, which would have broken a constitutional continuity that has endured over two centuries.

One does not relish traveling this path, but the hard reality is that Trump is creating a neo-fascist movement that will aggrandize power by any means available. Especially via violent and divisive means.

The Trump Insurrection of 6 January 2021 was but a preview.

You need to move on, buddy.

One does not relish traveling this path, but the hard reality is that Trump is creating a neo-fascist movement that will aggrandize power by any means available. Especially via violent and divisive means.

Power?

You mean like almost 50 EO's in less than two week?

Fascidiocy: the practice of referring to anything the left doesnt like as fascism.

Fascidiocy: the practice of referring to anything the left doesnt like as fascism.
I guess you are okay with the rioting at the Capital incited by Trump and others to overthrow an election because yo udo not like the results of that election. And please, do not try and deflect by saying that the riot at the capital was in any way the same as the BLM protest. I will just have to point out that a vast majority of those arrested at those rallies were not BLm members but members of white supremacy groups. And please do not diminish your IQ to the others on this board by trying to say that Trump did not incite the riot.

No, sometimes you don’t. This whole Jewish space laser/Obama’s birth certificate/stolen elections nonsense is really getting out of hand. We can’t move on unless we address the root issues underlying this level of out-of-control fever so much of the country is suffering from. What we need to move on from is Trumpism. It is truly a dangerous sickness.

I agree, and it's very disturbing. I apologize if this is a little off-topic, but I just watched this last week on TV and it rings true to what is happening under Trumpism. A little reminder for some of the Trump base who are slow to learn from history.

Rick Steves' Europe

In this one-hour special, Rick travels back a century to learn how fascism rose and then fell in Europe — taking millions of people with it.

We'll trace fascism's history from its roots in the turbulent aftermath of World War I, when masses of angry people rose up, to the rise of charismatic leaders who manipulated that anger, the totalitarian societies they built, and the brutal measures they used to enforce their ideology.

We'll see the horrific consequences: genocide and total war. And we'll be inspired by the stories of those who resisted. Along the way, we'll visit poignant sights throughout Europe relating to fascism, and talk with Europeans whose families lived through those times. Our goal: to learn from the hard lessons of 20th-century Europe, and to recognize that ideology in the 21st century

I look at her as an opposite reaction to this kind of ridiculousness:

swarajya%2F2019-07%2F90a3422e-805f-44fa-a98e-5d2530a39405%2Fsquad.png

and this:

maxine-waters-rdx-jef-180626_hpMain_31x13_992.jpg

Meanwhile the Dimocrats are ready to crucify Joe Manchin for being moderate and seeking bipartisanship with Republican leaders. But AOC and Waters are celebrated for being hateful radicals of he left.
Over on the Republican side, Marjorie Taylor Green is being soundly refuted by nearly all Republicans in Washington.

Dems need to fix their own house. Republicans are perfectly willing and capable of fixing their house.

Fascism is what is happening now. Govt, media and tech giants collaborating to crush the opposition. Now the use of domestic terrorist to brand your opponents. Show of force with military power to provide a safe space against an alleged threat. Ban free speech , threat of "reeducation" Now use of every tactic to increased power at elections; statehood, illegals granted citizenship, , ending safeguards to voting HR1. Use of law enforcement and intelligence agencies to spy on opponents. two tier justice, Clinesmith gets a wrist slap with a velvet glove, Stone gets a SWAT raid.

You libs like to imply that all Republican Trump voters are like Greene. Well, those kind of tactics may make you feel special, but in reality are nothing but a load of bullshit.
Just like the fake Russia thing- a big load of bullshit.
Stop propagating lies.

You know he's not President anymore, right?

You libs like to imply that all Republican Trump voters are like Greene. Well, those kind of tactics may make you feel special, but in reality are nothing but a load of bullshit.
Just like the fake Russia thing- a big load of bullshit.
Stop propagating lies.
The New GOP —> Gohmert, Gaetz, Gosar, Greene — Brooks, Boebert, Biggs — Cruz and Hawley

Not only that, it's also pure projection.

Positively Soviet, McCarthyistic and Orwellian when someone believes that everyone in the political opposition party is in need of 'demogramming'. Very tyrannical as well.

Jewish Laser Beam Greene -
Not only that, it's also pure projection.

Positively Soviet and McCarthyistic when someone believes that everyone in the political opposition party is in need of 'demogramming'. Very tyrannical as well.
Pure, pathetic, projection

Not according to the ‘45th’ president.
I'm serious. He's not President anymore. Perhaps if you took up a job or a hobby or something, it might take your mind off the man?

Jewish Laser Beam Greene -

Pure, pathetic, projection
Oh? Are there some Republicans calling for the 'de-programming' of Democrats? If so, please cite then.

As to Greene's comments (not that I believe any of them), have to ever listened to AOC? (Not that I believe any of them either)
I think they are the two sides of the same coin.

and this:

Meanwhile the Dimocrats are ready to crucify Joe Manchin for being moderate and seeking bipartisanship with Republican leaders. But AOC and Waters are celebrated for being hateful radicals of he left.
Over on the Republican side, Marjorie Taylor Green is being soundly refuted by nearly all Republicans in Washington.

Dems need to fix their own house. Republicans are perfectly willing and capable of fixing their house.
Exactly.

I'm serious. He's not President anymore. Perhaps if you took up a job or a hobby or something, it might take your mind off the man?
Your ilk includes GOP Greene who wears ‘trump won’ masks.
Oh? Are there some Republicans calling for the 'de-programming' of Democrats? If so, please cite then.

As to Greene's comments (not that I believe any of them), have to ever listened to AOC? (Not that I believe any of them either)
I think they are the two sides of the same coin.
Republicans skip all the way to the Burmese approach.

original.jpg

American Bund, 1937, New Jersey

They say Hitler wasn't impressed.

and this:

Have DEMs approved of EXECUTING GOPs with ‘a bullet to the head’?

Enjoy the GOP civil war between the Senate and House and within the House.

You mean like how you quit wasting your time on Hillary Clinton after the first 5 investigations cleared her of all wrongdoing? Oh no, that's right you were desperate for 6, 7 and 8.
Unlike you we can actually prove what we say is true.

Back
Top Bottom