• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trumpian Logic

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
How do we get to "Mexico is paying for the wall"?

The logic appears to be in the order of...

1. Mexico is stealing our money through unfair trade practices.
2. We are going to get billions of dollars back of our money through the renegotiated NAFTA deal.
3. Mexico is paying for the wall through the many billions of dollars of our own money we are saving through the new trade deal.
4. The Democrats will not make the US tax payers pay for the wall.

Am I missing something?

Such logic is flawed. No matter the revenue sources that flow into the treasury, the US Congress is the only entity with the power to designate how those revenue's are spent.

There is no Constitutional decree that any increased revenue's derived from trade with Mexico automatically transfers to equivalent increased Congressional funding for a border wall.

Such logic and assumptions are flawed and inherently false.

2. We are going to get billions of dollars back of our money through the renegotiated NAFTA deal.
3. Mexico is paying for the wall through the many billions of dollars of our own money we are saving through the new trade deal.

Am I missing something?

Yes, the fact that this claim of who would pay for the wall was merely campaign rhetoric.

I, for one, never believed Mexico would pay for anything. :shrug:

At best, changes in trade agreements (which Trump also promised and subsequently accomplished with both Mexico and Canada) might balance the costs of building it.

IMO Trump is just reacting (as usual) to the Left's incessant bleating and negativity. I think he should just ignore this complaint and move on with the simple arguments for a stronger border barrier coupled with real Immigration law reforms that would effectively deter migration efforts.

Much as he did when $25 Billion was being offered by demanding an end to the lottery, and other Immigration concessions in exchange for DACA amnesty.

Last edited:
Yes, the fact that this claim of who would pay for the wall was merely campaign rhetoric.

At best, changes in trade agreements (which Trump also promised and subsequently accomplished with both Mexico and Canada) might balance the costs of building it.

IMO Trump is just reacting (as usual) to the Left's incessant bleating and negativity. I think he should just ignore this complaint and move on with the simple arguments for a stronger boarder barrier coupled with real Immigration reforms that would effectively deter migration efforts.

The bar has dropped so low for the defenders of Trump that they think calling Trump a liar is a valid defense. :lamo

IMO Trump is just reacting (as usual) to the Left's incessant bleating and negativity. I think he should just ignore this complaint and move on with the simple arguments for a stronger border barrier coupled with real Immigration law reforms that would effectively deter migration efforts.

Much as he did when $25 Billion was being offered by demanding an end to the lottery, and other Immigration concessions in exchange for DACA amnesty.

So tell me exactly how this is any different than Obama saying, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

So tell me exactly how this is any different than Obama saying, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

Wait, is this another exception to the "whatabotism" issue I pointed out elsewhere, or just a red herring? ;) (j/k)

Hmmm, perhaps (much like tactics of a used car salesman pointing to "new" [read "cleaned"] tires on a clunker) in the deception about the long-term costs of selling a new social welfare program? :shrug:

I'll have to think on it.

Last edited:

Am I missing something?

What would have been nice is if the Congressional Elites...from both Parties...has started out implementing the effective ideas Trump presented long before he got elected. If that had happened, we would already have $50 Billion from Mexico ($25 Billion each year for two years) and we could have a LOT of the wall already built.

But, of course, the Congressional Elites have never had any intention of supporting anything Trump has wanted to do. The result is what he have now...fighting and sniping over a measly $5 Billion.

Am I missing something?

The average Trump supporter... nuff said.

Thread title is an example of an oxymoron............

Back
Top Bottom