• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump wins CPAC conservative meeting's 2024 presidential straw poll

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
ORLANDO, Florida Feb 27 (Reuters) - A whopping 59% of attendees at the CPAC conservative conference in Florida want former Republican President Donald Trump to be the party's 2024 presidential candidate, according to a straw poll released on Sunday.

Underscoring the unparalleled sway Trump enjoys over the Republican base, his closest rival, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, garnered just 28% of votes at the Conservative Political Action Conference gathering in Orlando.

Ca. 2500 delegates attended and voted.

If Trump runs:

FMn12nxXwAg2-Jd

If Trump doesn’t run:

FMn2Q6gX0AUwVIo

Trump +31 at this stage seems like a lot, but DeSantis and his 28% RIGHT NOW ALREADY is impressive and he has room to grow because Trump has a lot of baggage.

If it makes you feel any better, the other choices are also terrible.
Yes, it looks like the clown roster of a Barum and Bailey circus. Maybe one or two serious people on that list, with neither one of them receiving more than one vote. Then again, CPAC has become a modern Barum and Bailey circus: a group of bearded ladies and fat men.

6 votes for Donny, Jr. Who ever voted for him is clearly a cultist.

Last edited:
ORLANDO, Florida Feb 27 (Reuters) - A whopping 59% of attendees at the CPAC conservative conference in Florida want former Republican President Donald Trump to be the party's 2024 presidential candidate, according to a straw poll released on Sunday.

Underscoring the unparalleled sway Trump enjoys over the Republican base, his closest rival, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, garnered just 28% of votes at the Conservative Political Action Conference gathering in Orlando.

Ca. 2500 delegates attended and voted.

If Trump runs:

FMn12nxXwAg2-Jd

If Trump doesn’t run:

FMn2Q6gX0AUwVIo
Odd. Neither one of those charts adds up to 100%.

The GOP is unsalvageable, so those who care about Democracy should leave. True, whatever new party they form will not be able to win a Congressional majority outright, but they could play a key deciding/mediating role in a split Congress, which is almost as much power. And they'd at least have some dignity, and not have to spend all their time defending authoritarians and racists.

The wheels on the Clown Kar go round and round and round.....

:poop:🤡:poop:🤡💩🤡💩🤡💩🤡

Trump +31 at this stage seems like a lot, but DeSantis and his 28% RIGHT NOW ALREADY is impressive and he has room to grow because Trump has a lot of baggage.
That was my take, too, along with DeSantis clearly being the second choice for a lot of people currently saying they would support Trump.

Frankly, given the kind of people who come to CPAC, Trump is underperforming.

The GOP picking Trump or DeSantis would be the equivalent of the Dems picking Nancy Pelosi or AOC. Even if they were able to pull off a win as a result of their electoral college advantage, election interference, and/or and the lack of balls of the 15% of their party that knows better, for a GOP president to have any kind of successful administration they need to pick someone who is not already hated by 52% of the country.

The GOP picking Trump or DeSantis would be the equivalent of the Dems picking Nancy Pelosi or AOC. Even if they were able to pull off a win as a result of their electoral college advantage, election interference, and/or and the lack of balls of the 15% of their party that knows better, for a GOP president to have any kind of successful administration they need to pick someone who is not already hated by 52% of the country.
No, Republicans fall in line. If DeSantis is the nominee, he has a great shot at winning.

If it makes you feel any better, the other choices are also terrible.
Which part of this is supposed to make me feel better

Which part of this is supposed to make me feel better

If all of the options are awful, you don't have to lament that a much less awful option didn't gain enough support.

No, Republicans fall in line. If DeSantis is the nominee, he has a great shot at winning.
I think DeSantis would be very hard to beat. I agree he'd have a great shot at winning if he became the nominee.

I've thought for some time that Trump might pick DeSantis as a running mate. As Trump maintains strong support and has maybe gained even more steam as Biden collapses (IMO), I do see the likelihood of Trump deciding to run. And there tends to be little agreement about DeSantis being a likely VP pick - but it remains on my mind as something quite possible.
I think as things in this country and abroad deteriorate - Trump stock goes up. While Trump's personality may still be highly annoying to many, I expect many also think he could hit the ground running, better and faster than others. Trump had a clumsy start in 2016 due to no political experience, but that would be VERY different this time around.
Trump would have a quick and easy time figuring out a strong team this time around.

I think this is a pretty good article about the CPAC/Trump/DeSantis/Biden scenario. It's not very long but it covers a bit about each of those in relation to the rest.

I think DeSantis would be very hard to beat. I agree he'd have a great shot at winning if he became the nominee.

I've thought for some time that Trump might pick DeSantis as a running mate. As Trump maintains strong support and has maybe gained even more steam as Biden collapses (IMO), I do see the likelihood of Trump deciding to run. And there tends to be little agreement about DeSantis being a likely VP pick - but it remains on my mind as something quite possible.
I think as things in this country and abroad deteriorate - Trump stock goes up. While Trump's personality may still be highly annoying to many, I expect many also think he could hit the ground running, better and faster than others. Trump had a clumsy start in 2016 due to no political experience, but that would be VERY different this time around.
Trump would have a quick and easy time figuring out a strong team this time around.
It’s very scary because DeSantis is an authoritarian just like Trump, but he isn’t stupid.

Don't tell me -- it's all because of "Putin Magic" :rolleyes:

The GOP will never change unless they are forced to.

And Republicans think the CPAC endorsement of a twice impeached, morally and ethically corrupt candidate who is facing multiple criminal and civil law suits is a good thing?
Yea right.

I think this is a pretty good article about the CPAC/Trump/DeSantis/Biden scenario. It's not very long but it covers a bit about each of those in relation to the rest.

Desantis is a very young man. He's got plenty of time.

Back
Top Bottom