• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump Winning Over Sanders’ upporters isn't as crazy as you think

truthatallcost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A key part of Trump's "change message" that resonates with some of Bernie's "change voters" is free trade. Sanders and Trump have sounded eerily the same about trade deals like NAFTA and the TPP for more than a year. Trade deals are usually not very exciting to talk about and carry none of the emotional cache you need to win voters.

But Trump and Sanders have both successfully made these deals emotionally charged issues, conjuring up images of millions of unemployed Americans suffering at the hands of Wall Street-controlled Washington fat cats. There are plenty of facts to separate Sanders and Trump voters forever, but this emotionally-charged issue of trade unites them in a way more powerful than dry facts.

Will Trump be able to persuade a significant number of Bernsters to his side? Comments? Thoughts?

I think it's a long shot, but this isn't a normal election by any means!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/22/

I said a year ago the only way I could support Trump was if hiLIARy got the nomination. I wanted to see Jim Webb go the distance.
this election is a race to the bottom.

Will Trump be able to persuade a significant number of Bernsters to his side? Comments? Thoughts?

It's not. Be patient. Clinton, the DNC and her supporters are getting ready to give Bernie and his supporters the biggest middle-finger in political history.
Just wait. It's coming.

It's not. Be patient. Clinton, the DNC and her supporters are getting ready to give Bernie and his supporters the biggest middle-finger in political history.
Just wait. It's coming.

I agaree with exactly what you said. Hillary and Bernie supporters are incompatible. Hillary, neocons, permanent war, Wall Street fat cats, and it appears that Dems and Repubs have swithched platforms and the millenials will be gving the single digit salute to both parties. There has never been a more opportune time and need for a third party. A party that doesn't think it has to rule the World, just take care of their constituents.

Ya Think............?

Please list the stated policies and how its goals will be accomplished that Trump promises.........

Other than building the wall as a infrastructure program to create jobs.......

HRC did exactly that today

Do you believe hiLIARy when she lays out her plans?

or

Do you like her message but think she is lying her pants off?

I think she will say all the right things to the right crowds to get votes, but once has them will do whatever makes her the most money and happily screw over anyone she can in the process.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bernie say on a number of occassions that Hillary on her worst day is infinitely better than Trump on his best (or words to that effect)? Some of his supporters may think he lied when he made those comments, but I think most--a significant majority--agree with Bernie in principle.

I consider myself a right leaning independent. when this all started I could not support any republican because I thought they all sucked. I went to Webb. He dropped out so I supported Bernie. Clinton getting the nomination pushed me to Trump. Not because I think his ideas are good, but I just think Clinton and her history of lying and stealing is the worst possible choice.

The only way I could of supported Clinton would of been a Palin nomination on the right. although I probably would have just stayed home in that scenario.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bernie say on a number of occassions that Hillary on her worst day is infinitely better than Trump on his best (or words to that effect)? Some of his supporters may think he lied when he made those comments, but I think most--a significant majority--agree with Bernie in principle.

Now that Bernie has lost the primary, he may be trying to repair relationships within his own party. It usually works that way. Considering the weight that Hillary wields, he may have no choice but to endorse her.

A CNN poll said that 40% of Bernie supporters wouldn't vote for Hillary in the general. Those votes are up for grabs.

Again, I'm not sure what percentage might consider Trump. But as a Trump supporter, I'd vote for Sanders if the only two options were Hillary or Bernie.

This Bernie supporter will never vote for Trump or Clinton. My vote is going to Jill Stein.

I said a year ago the only way I could support Trump was if hiLIARy got the nomination. I wanted to see Jim Webb go the distance.
this election is a race to the bottom.

So you were a Trump supporter from the get go then. Anyone who thought someone else but Hillary would be the Dem nominee was fooling themselves. How do you like him so far?

This Bernie supporter will never vote for Trump or Clinton. My vote is going to Jill Stein.

What about he rest of the ticket? I assume Democrats mostly. Your vote is more important in those races. The gridlock needs to be fixed and quickly or it won't matter what bills Sanders and Warren introduce. I know that Warren has said how much she is looking forward to working with Hillary. I hope you will help make that happen at least.

#1 Trump
#2 Sanders

I never thought the idea is crazy.

Same here. No way would I ever vote for Trump. Or Hillary for that matter.

And what I said to Risky goes for you too. Sanders needs your help in Congress if anything is to happen. Make sure you vote for Democrats in all Congressional races.

Psst... Trump is a secret democrat, many are saying it here on DP. He's going to give free tuition and Miley Cyrus tickets to every college student, if he gets elected. You should vote for him.

And what I said to Risky goes for you too. Sanders needs your help in Congress if anything is to happen. Make sure you vote for Democrats in all Congressional races.

Of course. I'm with you on that.

Psst... Trump is a secret democrat, many are saying it here on DP. He's going to give free tuition and Miley Cyrus tickets to every college student, if he gets elected. You should vote for him.

So tempting. Just what we all want free tuition to "Trump University" :2razz:

Of course. I'm with you on that.

Thanks. That is good to hear. I want Sanders people to stay connected. Time is running out for the middle class. I want my grandchild to have a better America.

I agaree with exactly what you said. Hillary and Bernie supporters are incompatible. Hillary, neocons, permanent war, Wall Street fat cats, and it appears that Dems and Repubs have swithched platforms and the millenials will be gving the single digit salute to both parties. There has never been a more opportune time and need for a third party. A party that doesn't think it has to rule the World, just take care of their constituents.

That certainly is the only hope for Conservatives and the GOP ever having a President again. If you can split the Democrat vote you then have a chance at the Whitehouse. Not that it is going to happen. We learned our lesson in 2000. 3rd parties are for suckers. You need 51% of the electoral votes to win anyway.

Last edited:
Now that Bernie has lost the primary, he may be trying to repair relationships within his own party. It usually works that way. Considering the weight that Hillary wields, he may have no choice but to endorse her.

A CNN poll said that 40% of Bernie supporters wouldn't vote for Hillary in the general. Those votes are up for grabs.

Again, I'm not sure what percentage might consider Trump. But as a Trump supporter, I'd vote for Sanders if the only two options were Hillary or Bernie.

Only 40%? That is nothing 50% of Hillary supporters in 2008 swore they would never vote for Obama. Guess what happened in Nov.?

Exit polls: Half of Clinton’s supporters won’t back Obama – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Just wait. It's coming.

The only thing that is "coming" is a big let down for you I'm afraid. You are going to miss the party. What a shame.

I'm willing to vote Hillary/Warren or Hillary/Sanders. Hillary/Other will not receive my vote, and instead I'll vote Jill Stein. I mean, Hillary has been pretty browbeaten this primary, she seems to finally be realizing that she is heading out to rocky waters if she doesn't begin swerving further to the Left (Hence her economics speech today). But I'm waiting to see the full impact here, in terms of concrete policies and her VP pick. I think there's a small chance, if Hillary can swallow her pride and go for Warren. Because if she does that, it's pretty much clear sailing going forward. Those 45% of Sanders supporters will by-and-large turn around and support (however tepidly) Hillary if she does what she needs to. And once they support her, Trump will receive a substantial electorate beat down. If she doesn't, I expect that it'll be a close call between Trump and Hillary, since she'll be very, very weak in two key demographics: Millennials and Left-wing Independents.

Back
Top Bottom