• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump will unify the Republican Party

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Trump is a unifier...

"I'm a unifier," Trump said, easing up on his hallmark bombast and offering a more conciliatory tone. "I know people will find this hard to believe."
source

only now, not so much:

"Does it have to be unified?" Trump asked about the Republican Party.
"I'm very different than everybody else, perhaps, that's ever run for office. I actually don't think so," he told ABC's "This Week" in excerpts provided ahead of Sunday's broadcast.

source

Which Trump do you like best? There are several to choose from.

Last edited:
It's the same Trump. He would like them to unify, but he doesn't need them..

He has unified most..

Trump is doing a bang up job of party unification so far... :roll:

It's the same Trump. He would like them to unify, but he doesn't need them..

He has unified most..

So have a lot of people who turned out to be nightmares for the people who put them in power.

Trump is a unifier...

source

only now, not so much:

source

I very well see trump as a unifier, but I do not see him as a great communicator like reagan. Trump strikes me as a manipulator, a man who would get people to play along in the shadiest of ways.

I see him walking into a congress session and yelling the republicans are panzies thy won't pass it, everyone looks and he says omf paul ryan why would you say that. Then the democrats debate and he yells damn you gonna let the republicans outsmart you, then when everyone pauses he looks at harry reid and is like omfg why would you say that

I really hope Ryan does not yield to this scumbag.

To think the GOP could get worse......

The one that stayed in his lane and hosted Celebrity Apprentice.

It's pretty obvious that Trump needs to unite the party, and his support.

In fact, he needs even more support than just a unified GOP party. Just have to look at the electoral college map to figure that out, and I'm sure the Trump has, stupid he's not (in spite of what some say and what some believe).

So far, at every turn, everyone's underestimated Trump, only to be surprised. We'll have to see how this unfolds.

It's pretty obvious that Trump needs to unite the party, and his support.

In fact, he needs even more support than just a unified GOP party. Just have to look at the electoral college map to figure that out, and I'm sure the Trump has, stupid he's not (in spite of what some say and what some believe).

So far, at every turn, everyone's underestimated Trump, only to be surprised. We'll have to see how this unfolds.

Trump has divided the party like no one else.
Agreed, he's not stupid. I'm not so sure about his supporters.

Trump has divided the party like no one else.
Agreed, he's not stupid. I'm not so sure about his supporters.

Trump has divided the party, this is true, there in lies his challenge to pivot and reunite the party as best he can. It won't be the same as it was before, it'll be different, and of the establishment part of the party, many are deciding to support Trump.

We'll see. We'll see.

Trump isn't going to unify the Reps., Hillary is. This election is going to come down to who is hated the least...

I don't believe in Trump, or any of them for that matter. They all have evil intentions, whether they show them or not. That is why I think politics should just be ridden of.

Trump has divided the party, this is true, there in lies his challenge to pivot and reunite the party as best he can. It won't be the same as it was before, it'll be different, and of the establishment part of the party, many are deciding to support Trump.

We'll see. We'll see.

No, he won't unite the party, any more than the "fall in line" Republicans automatically unite at election time. But there will be less of that with Trump as the nominee. Still, Republicans fall in line and vote the party to a greater extent than Dems, no matter who the person is they're voting for. Democrats are more discriminating and vote the person as well as the party, in my view.

Trump can't un-say the things he's said. "Who would vote for THAT face?" (about a woman) "fat pig" (about a woman) "I care about veterans who WEREN'T captured. Not the ones who were" (speaking of veterans)

Trump is a joke, so that makes the ones who vote for him jokes or not very bright. He's disrespectful, uninformed, brash, vulgar, insulting, undiplomatic, and wholly unqualified to be the leader of the greatest country in the world. Such a position requires an exceptional person who is adept at diplomacy, respectful of others (at least in public), intelligent, informed, a good communicator (all leaders rely on the skill of communication).

Trump has unified the party? Yes, just as well as Barack Obama unified the parties.:roll: Is he delusional, or just plain stupid? Actually, he's neither - he's a master manipulator. He's feeding on the paranoia and ignorance of his supporters.

Trump - "I unified the party!"
Supporters - "You're so awesome! We need to be unified to reverse some of the things the left did."

Trump - "I don't give a damn about the GOP and won't unify them because the establishment is bad."
Supporters - "You're so awesome! **** them all. **** Paul Ryan. You get 'em Big Donny!"

No, he won't unite the party, any more than the "fall in line" Republicans automatically unite at election time. But there will be less of that with Trump as the nominee. Still, Republicans fall in line and vote the party to a greater extent than Dems, no matter who the person is they're voting for. Democrats are more discriminating and vote the person as well as the party, in my view.

Trump can't un-say the things he's said. "Who would vote for THAT face?" (about a woman) "fat pig" (about a woman) "I care about veterans who WEREN'T captured. Not the ones who were" (speaking of veterans)

Trump is a joke, so that makes the ones who vote for him jokes or not very bright. He's disrespectful, uninformed, brash, vulgar, insulting, undiplomatic, and wholly unqualified to be the leader of the greatest country in the world. Such a position requires an exceptional person who is adept at diplomacy, respectful of others (at least in public), intelligent, informed, a good communicator (all leaders rely on the skill of communication).

Given the continuous underestimation of Trump, I'll reserve judgement until demonstrated, but don't necessarily read that as support for Trump. The election is still quite a ways off, and there are a fair number of things which could change the landscape on which a voting decision is made.

Given the continuous underestimation of Trump, I'll reserve judgement until demonstrated, but don't necessarily read that as support for Trump. The election is still quite a ways off, and there are a fair number of things which could change the landscape on which a voting decision is made.

I can't think of many right off hand.
Maybe if the Democrats were to nominate Bernie. We'd have two anti establishment candidates running against each other then.

I can't think of many right off hand.
Maybe if the Democrats were to nominate Bernie. We'd have two anti establishment candidates running against each other then.

That might yet come to pass depending on how the FBI investigation of Hillary unfolds. She may not be able to campaign in the general, either by criminal changes (unlikely considering Obama's politicized DOJ) or FBI leaking the results of their investigation (more likely if you ask me). Of course there's always Biden parachuting in to the rescue, as a white knight as well.

That might yet come to pass depending on how the FBI investigation of Hillary unfolds. She may not be able to campaign in the general, either by criminal changes (unlikely considering Obama's politicized DOJ) or FBI leaking the results of their investigation (more likely if you ask me). Of course there's always Biden parachuting in to the rescue, as a white knight as well.

Republicans shouldn't count on the FBI investigation of Hillary's emails to ever be more than a talking point, like Obama's birth certificate or his Muslim religion.

While it's highly unlikely, the DNC could yet decide to nominate Sanders, but that' the only way Hillary won't be running in November.

And, rumors abound of prominent Republicans, many of whom won't endorse Trump, running one of their own as a third party candidate. I've heard rumors still of a Romney candidacy. I, for one, would vote for him over any of the three remaining contenders, but I don't know if enough of the other voters are fed up to the point of electing a third party candidate of any sort.

As a combat Vet, I was appalled at Trumps statement on McCain, and in our former POW's. I do hope it is played in endless loops, McCain served his country and spent years in captivity, were was the Don? Filling out his deferment paperwork. When did Trump serve his country, when did any Trump serve there country? They are only in it to serve themselves.

Republicans shouldn't count on the FBI investigation of Hillary's emails to ever be more than a talking point, like Obama's birth certificate or his Muslim religion.

I concede that the Republicans shouldn't count on Hillary's emails being any more than a talking point, as she and Bill have weaseled and connived their way out of just about everything else. What can you do when they've led a charmed life?

While it's highly unlikely, the DNC could yet decide to nominate Sanders, but that' the only way Hillary won't be running in November.

And, rumors abound of prominent Republicans, many of whom won't endorse Trump, running one of their own as a third party candidate. I've heard rumors still of a Romney candidacy. I, for one, would vote for him over any of the three remaining contenders, but I don't know if enough of the other voters are fed up to the point of electing a third party candidate of any sort.

If you notice, they are swinging over to support Trump one by one. Even Ryan's not holding to his previous position WRT Trump.

While you've heard rumors, that's all they are. Anne won't let Mitt run again. That was pretty clear a number of months ago already. Had Mitt run form the beginning he may have had a chance. This late in the game? I don't think so. I had some hope for Kasich, but that didn't pan out.

Voting for a GOP third party candidate is just as good as voting for Hillary. Same as voting for a third party Democrat candidate. The vote goes may just as well go to the opposition.

One thing for sure, it isn't going to be boring. Just wish the stakes weren't as high as they are.

I concede that the Republicans shouldn't count on Hillary's emails being any more than a talking point, as she and Bill have weaseled and connived their way out of just about everything else. What can you do when they've led a charmed life?

If you notice, they are swinging over to support Trump one by one. Even Ryan's not holding to his previous position WRT Trump.

While you've heard rumors, that's all they are. Anne won't let Mitt run again. That was pretty clear a number of months ago already. Had Mitt run form the beginning he may have had a chance. This late in the game? I don't think so. I had some hope for Kasich, but that didn't pan out.

Voting for a GOP third party candidate is just as good as voting for Hillary. Same as voting for a third party Democrat candidate. The vote goes may just as well go to the opposition.

One thing for sure, it isn't going to be boring. Just wish the stakes weren't as high as they are.

It most certainly won't be boring.

When those prominent Republicans begin holding their noses and supporting Trump, they're really just doing what they must to save the party from ruin.

As for me, I'm not prominent enough to matter, and if the Republican Party loses this time around, there's still 2020, but they'll have to come up with a candidate that isn't going to make the US a laughingstock.

Trump. May as well be Trump/Springer. We're about to run a reality show host for president. We've fallen down the rabbit hole for sure.

Trump is a unifier...

source

only now, not so much:

source

Trump is unifying the GOP, or at least a large number of them, they are unifying against him. Good for them, it is always better to stand for you own ideals and what is best for the Nation.

It most certainly won't be boring.

When those prominent Republicans begin holding their noses and supporting Trump, they're really just doing what they must to save the party from ruin.

As for me, I'm not prominent enough to matter, and if the Republican Party loses this time around, there's still 2020, but they'll have to come up with a candidate that isn't going to make the US a laughingstock.

Trump. May as well be Trump/Springer. We're about to run a reality show host for president. We've fallen down the rabbit hole for sure.

I think you may be underestimating Trump. It's OK, you are not alone, many are, and many continue to do so. Don't read this as Trump support, but I'm reserving judgement for now. Much of this landscape on which a voting decision is made could yet change.

Even if the GOP don't get the HW this time around, clearly, hopefully, the establishment GOP will have gotten he message from the electorate. Can't just keep mouthing the words for the votes and not backing it up with strong actions, leadership and principals. GOP shouldn't ever become Dem-lite, and should focus itself to resolve / address / improve the nation's problems, and above all, communicate it all in a clear manner to the electorate audience.

Last edited:
I think you may be underestimating Trump. It's OK, you are not alone, many are, and many continue to do so. Don't read this as Trump support, but I'm reserving judgement for now. Much of this landscape on which a voting decision is made could yet change.

Even if the GOP don't get the HW this time around, clearly, hopefully, the establishment GOP will have gotten he message from the electorate. Can't just keep mouthing the words for the votes and not backing it up with strong actions, leadership and principals. GOP shouldn't ever become Dem-lite, and should focus itself to resolve / address / improve the nation's problems, and above all, communicate it all in a clear manner to the electorate audience.

It would be great if at least one party were focusing itself to resolve/ address/ improve the nation's problems instead of simply playing childish partisan games.

And I have heard the "Oh, Trump really doesn't mean the crazy things he says. He'll be fine once he's elected" point of view before. All we can do, if he should be elected is hope they're right.

It would be great if at least one party were focusing itself to resolve/ address/ improve the nation's problems instead of simply playing childish partisan games.
Agreed.
And I have heard the "Oh, Trump really doesn't mean the crazy things he says. He'll be fine once he's elected" point of view before. All we can do, if he should be elected is hope they're right.
His lack of consistency and lack of depth and substance is disconcerting. I had someone else in mind as the GOP candidate. But it didn't turn out that way.

Back
Top Bottom