• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump will unify the Republican Party

It would be great if at least one party were focusing itself to resolve/ address/ improve the nation's problems instead of simply playing childish partisan games.

And I have heard the "Oh, Trump really doesn't mean the crazy things he says. He'll be fine once he's elected" point of view before. All we can do, if he should be elected is hope they're right.

You are correct, Dittohead.

But Eo is correct on one thing. NONE OF US ought to underestimate him.

MY MOTTO: NEVER underestimate an opponent...or someone you are betting against.

You are correct, Dittohead.

But Eo is correct on one thing. NONE OF US ought to underestimate him.

MY MOTTO: NEVER underestimate an opponent...or someone you are betting against.

You have a good point there. A few months ago, I'd have given his odds of conning enough voters to get the nomination as slim to none. It appears I was wrong. Now, I can't see how people will actually elect him president, but then, I may be wrong again.

If I am, then let's hope to heaven that his crazy rhetoric is just that, and he doesn't mean it.

It's pretty obvious that Trump needs to unite the party, and his support.

In fact, he needs even more support than just a unified GOP party. Just have to look at the electoral college map to figure that out, and I'm sure the Trump has, stupid he's not (in spite of what some say and what some believe).

So far, at every turn, everyone's underestimated Trump, only to be surprised. We'll have to see how this unfolds.

I don't think it's so much of underestimating drumph. It's more like over estimating conservative voters.a candidate don't be able to say what trump has said and still be contender, yet here we are.

That might yet come to pass depending on how the FBI investigation of Hillary unfolds. She may not be able to campaign in the general, either by criminal changes (unlikely considering Obama's politicized DOJ) or FBI leaking the results of their investigation (more likely if you ask me). Of course there's always Biden parachuting in to the rescue, as a white knight as well.

All the "leaks" that I have heard say that Hillary is in the clear. Why would they leak that if it was not true? Do you think Hillary will incriminate herself or something? She is going to be the last to testify it seems.

Some of Clinton's closest aides, including her longtime adviser Huma Abedin, have provided interviews to federal investigators as the FBI probe into the security of her private email server nears completion, U.S. officials briefed on the investigation told CNN last week. But so far investigators haven't found evidence to prove that Clinton willfully violated the law, the officials say.
Clinton on FBI: 'No one has reached out to me yet' - CNNPolitics.com

Last edited:
I don't think it's so much of underestimating drumph. It's more like over estimating conservative voters.a candidate don't be able to say what trump has said and still be contender, yet here we are.

Lol damn swipe texting...dont ->shouldn't

All the "leaks" that I have heard say that Hillary is in the clear. Why would they leak that if it was not true? Do you think Hillary will incriminate herself or something? She is going to be the last to testify it seems.

Clinton on FBI: 'No one has reached out to me yet' - CNNPolitics.com
What does "willfully violating the law" have to do with anything? Good heavens this is becoming maddening. It's like they're admitting that she broke the law but are trying to give her a pass for creating the impression that she did it accidentally. There are lots of people in jail right now who "never willingly broke the law". Ugh, I don't see how the FBI doesn't recommend indictment.

What does "willfully violating the law" have to do with anything? Good heavens this is becoming maddening. It's like they're admitting that she broke the law but are trying to give her a pass for creating the impression that she did it accidentally. There are lots of people in jail right now who "never willingly broke the law". Ugh, I don't see how the FBI doesn't recommend indictment.

Thankfully your "ughs" have nothing to do with this and yes you are right Hillary will beat Trump in a cakewalk.

Trump will unify the Republican Party

eventually, but not in the way that it sounds. assuming that he loses the general, the GOP will have a strong chance with a legitimate candidate in 2020, as Democratic fatigue will be at code red by that point, and Clinton is not a likable public figure. that is, unless the Republicans decide to go bat**** insane again. i never thought i'd see them blow a golden opportunity like the 2016 race against an unappealing legacy candidate, but i was wrong.

eventually, but not in the way that it sounds. assuming that he loses the general, the GOP will have a strong chance with a legitimate candidate in 2020, as Democratic fatigue will be at code red by that point, and Clinton is not a likable public figure. that is, unless the Republicans decide to go bat**** insane again. i never thought i'd see them blow a golden opportunity like the 2016 race against an unappealing legacy candidate, but i was wrong.

I'm hoping the Republicans will actually go with a far right conservative...a Ted Cruz....because I think the American public will bury them if they do.

Americans are not going to buy into a far left liberal right now...that is for sure. If Bernie Sanders got the nomination...he would have been buried by Trump. But just as certainly, Americans are not ready for the far right either. In fact, my guess is they would choose far left over far right...if it ever came to that.

So...bring on another Barry Goldwater. I am sure Democrats will be delighted...just as Independents with a progressive bent will be.

I'm hoping the Republicans will actually go with a far right conservative...a Ted Cruz....because I think the American public will bury them if they do.

Americans are not going to buy into a far left liberal right now...that is for sure. If Bernie Sanders got the nomination...he would have been buried by Trump. But just as certainly, Americans are not ready for the far right either. In fact, my guess is they would choose far left over far right...if it ever came to that.

So...bring on another Barry Goldwater. I am sure Democrats will be delighted...just as Independents with a progressive bent will be.

my guess is that they get it right the next time. however, if Trump wins, that's probably the worst thing that can happen to the Republican party. we'll risk two years of serious damage before voters finally wake up and take away his congress. if Clinton wins, it's probably four more years of gridlock, and then a Republican contender with a real chance.

my guess is that they get it right the next time. however, if Trump wins, that's probably the worst thing that can happen to the Republican party. we'll risk two years of serious damage before voters finally wake up and take away his congress. if Clinton wins, it's probably four more years of gridlock, and then a Republican contender with a real chance.

We NEED a strong Republican Party...although I conceive of the GOP as the loyal opposition rather than as the leaders. No organization with as much enmity toward government...can truly ever govern.

But we do NEED a strong opposition...and the Republican Party is the only viable opposition.

We NEED a strong Republican Party...although I conceive of the GOP as the loyal opposition rather than as the leaders. No organization with as much enmity toward government...can truly ever govern.

But we do NEED a strong opposition...and the Republican Party is the only viable opposition.

yeah, pretty much. we need several viable opposition parties. my preference is to ban political parties entirely, but let's face it : that's not going to happen anytime soon.

With William "always fails" Kristol at the helm, the "nevertrump" movement is doomed to failure.

With William "always fails" Kristol at the helm, the "nevertrump" movement is doomed to failure.

You may well be right. For me, though, the interesting bit it not WHO, precisely, but rather that prominent R's are not only meeting about such a move, but are publicly talking about it. Quite the soap opera. I begin to wonder if Trump's motive in running was to set up the production of a new reality tv show - based upon the madcap dysfunction of various Republicans election campaigns.

Trump has divided the party like no one else.

He sure did. For what anecdotal evidence is worth, I can count a dozen of friends just here in Boston who say tey had never voted Democratic in their lives, but now, incredibly, Hillary is the lesser evil.

(On the other hand, the local blue collar Irish "Bulger Democrats" love him. Who knows how the balance will change in the end)

It's the same Trump. He would like them to unify, but he doesn't need them..

Is that why he suddenly realized that he needs to rely on their fundraising apparatus if he has any chance of competing in a national election, and even then is probably WAY too late to raise the amount he claims necessary?

Donald J. Trump took steps to appropriate much of the Republican National Committee’s financial and political infrastructure for his presidential campaign on Monday, amid signs that he and the party would lag dangerously behind the Democrats in raising money for the general election. Mr. Trump, who by the end of March had spent around $40 million of his fortune on the primaries, has said that he may need as much as $1.5 billion for the fall campaign, but that he will seek to raise it from donors rather than continue to self-finance.

But Mr. Trump has no fund-raising apparatus to resort to, no network of prolific bundlers to call upon, and little known experience with the type of marathon, one-on-one serial salesmanship and solicitousness that raising so much money is likely to require — even if individuals can contribute up to the current limit of $334,000 at a time to the party. And he has to do it all in six months, with a deeply divided party that is still absorbing the fact that Mr. Trump is its standard-bearer.

[continues]

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/us/politics/donald-trump-campaign.html

Of course, the rest of us knew that he was playing his supporters when he pretended to be some kind of unpurchasable maverick outsider....

Eric Trump, the son of Republican presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump, said on Wednesday that he doesn’t think the campaign needs the backing of House Speaker Paul Ryan.

In an interview with Fox News’s “The Kelly File” Wednesday, Trump was asked whether he thinks Ryan’s endorsement is essential for his father.
“Listen, I don’t think so,” he said. “He’s got tens and tens of millions of votes, I mean he’s really run away with this. He has more votes than any Republican in any primary ever. I mean, the guy’s done an incredible job. He really has grown the party, he has brought the party together, for whatever that’s worth.

"And listen, if he doesn’t have the Speaker’s vote, if he doesn’t have his will or whatever it may be, we’ll go on, right, and those people will continue to march behind my father. Would it be nice? Yes. Is the ultimate goal to beat Hillary Clinton? Yes, that’s everybody’s goal."

“If he doesn’t have it will life go on? Absolutely,” he added

Eric Trump: We don't need Ryan's endorsement | TheHill

Hopefully Ryan has figured out that being the squeaky wheel does not help him, because he is part of the establishment that the rebellion has risen up against.

Paul Ryan...and anyone else in the Republican Party with a sense of decency and loyalty to country...

...ought to disavow the candidacy of Donald Trump as a danger to our nation and the world.

Donald Trump would serve this country best by returning to host Reality TV...and even there opting for early retirement.

Paul Ryan...and anyone else in the Republican Party with a sense of decency and loyalty to country...

...ought to disavow the candidacy of Donald Trump as a danger to our nation and the world.

Donald Trump would serve this country best by returning to host Reality TV...and even there opting for early retirement.

He could continue hosting reality TV until he drops dead for all I care. I've got a remote.

Here's another solution to Trump:

a00ed25eb3167bf7519c14dd6ae3de75.jpg

Reconciliation is a long shot. It seems clear that the division within the Republican Party is vast and will not be repaired until, at the very earliest, after the election. Trump unifying the GOP is as likely as my going on a date with Jennifer Lawrence.

Here?s the Best Way to Stop Trump?and Save Republicans in the Senate and House - The Daily Beast

I think that is right, I think we are at the front end of everything changing, there will be no peace anytime soon.

In the political parties and in the nation at large.

Seriously.

Back
Top Bottom