• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump will attend Bush memorial but won't speak at funeral, sources say

It is reported that Bush wanted Trump there, he was by no means a great President but he was right here.

Bush was a pretty good President. I especially want to give GHWB credit for being one guy that will get Trump to sit down and shut up.

Thank you, George Bush, for one last act of service to your country! RIP.

Bush was a pretty good President. I especially want to give GHWB credit for being one guy that will get Trump to sit down and shut up.

Thank you, George Bush, for one last act of service to your country. RIP.

It is not about Trump, it is about this nation ripping ourselves apart.

Bush did not want to be a part of that I gather from the reporting.

Making it clear he wanted Trump there was decency.

We never saw that from McCain.

Best possible scenario, I think.

Bush inherited Reagan's failed policies, and at least he was smart enough to recognize voo Doo economics when he sees them.

I did not agree with some of the black ops he supported throughout his years of service but I believe be was the last Republican president that actually had Americas Best interest at heart.

From Politico:

...many of the family’s confidants said Saturday former President George H.W. Bush wished to put that all aside when it came to Trump attending his funeral.

“If anybody at anytime knew anything about the 41st president of the United States, they would completely and totally understand that he would welcome the current occupant 100 percent,” said an aide in the office of the former president. “This is the way the country says goodbye to presidents.” https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/01/bush-family-trump-funeral-1037144

Never see it from Trump either. Maybe those days are gone.

I'm sure he will still somehow do something stupid, disrespectful to make himself look like an ass

From Politico:

...many of the family’s confidants said Saturday former President George H.W. Bush wished to put that all aside when it came to Trump attending his funeral.

“If anybody at anytime knew anything about the 41st president of the United States, they would completely and totally understand that he would welcome the current occupant 100 percent,” said an aide in the office of the former president. “This is the way the country says goodbye to presidents.” https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/01/bush-family-trump-funeral-1037144

I’m thinking that is one thing that will change as well.....

You're reading way too much into my post. It was intended to be a quip.

But, since you asked, it was about Bush respecting the office of the POTUS over the man that occupies it.

There isn't really a comparison to McCain's funeral since he was never president. His not inviting Trump is much different as his was fundamentally a private service. Bush is a former President, so the protocol is much different. That all said, Trump was merely invited, but not welcome to speak, which is a bit of a slap.

McCain's family not wishing Trump to be at his funeral was hardly from pettiness. In stark contrast, Trump's treatment of McCain, a bona-fide American hero, likely from his personal jealousy of McCain (since Trump is no where near the man in stature), was very petty.

Last edited:

Fake Trump supporter talking about decency.

Yep, it’s Monday alright.

I’m thinking that is one thing that will change as well.....

I would like to think not. I like tradition, and the lying-in-state and other conventions are what we do. Other countries too, of course, honor their heads and former heads of state. The Bush family understands that the nation wishes to pay its respects, that they and this are a focus of the world's attention, and that there are protocols to follow. But I'll bet that every family member is eager to enter the doors of St. Martin's to see real friends and church-family, go to the train station--they're riding with the former President's body, I've read--and then finally and entirely privately to bury their father/grandfather, uncle or best friend.

I would like to think not. I like tradition, and the lying-in-state and other conventions are what we do. Other countries too, of course, honor their heads and former heads of state. The Bush family understands that the nation wishes to pay its respects, that they and this are a focus of the world's attention, and that there are protocols to follow. But I'll bet that every family member is eager to enter the doors of St. Martin's to see real friends and church-family, go to the train station--they're riding with the former President's body, I've read--and then finally and entirely privately to bury their father/grandfather, uncle or best friend.

There was a report this afternoon, stating that shortly after inauguration, Presidents are requested to detail the planning of their funerals......I’ll just leave you with that thought....

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/a-presidental-funeral

I disagree. If Trump spoke he would have made the speech all about himself, not about Bush.

Not knowing!? When has that stopped Trump from bloviating?

At funerals the tradition is that only those who knew the departed well speak.

Why would anyone then think that they would find Trump speaking here?

There seems to be some bad thinking taking place.

It is reported that Bush wanted Trump there, he was by no means a great President but he was right here.

H.W. is a pretty good president relatively speaking. From what I read, Bush wanted Trump at his funeral to show that we need to be at a place in this nation where we can come together instead of splitting ourselves apart.

H.W. is a pretty good president relatively speaking. From what I read, Bush wanted Trump at his funeral to show that we need to be at a place in this nation where we can come together instead of splitting ourselves apart.

It is more that Bush did not want his passing being made part of the problem.....which is to his credit.

Trump is a disgrace as a president and there is no "healing" to be done, he shouldn't be there at all. He is a mafia lackey with the backing of the Republican party. The healing will take place when he is gone and somebody not corrupt is president.

As the Scarecrow said, "people with no brains seem to do a lot of talking."

You are evading the question, likely because you know that the idea that Trump would speak is a Red Herring.

Back
Top Bottom