• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: 'We have reached a deal' [to end the shutdown]

He'll get at least $5.7B...maybe even more and whatever fixed structure that comes out of this WON'T be referred to as a wall. Border fencing, border panels, border thickets...whatever, but it won't be framed as a wall. Believe that!

Trump's new friend showed all those scary-ass Republicans who either ran from Trump by not running for re-election or who got their butts handed to them in their re-election bid how it's done! You go, girl!! :lamo :july_4th:

What leverage will Trump use to make this happen? He shut down the government for a month over this, and somehow we're to believe that opening up government again will improve the odds of getting his way?

Seems to me if they were just going to give it up in exchange for not calling it a wall, that could have happened a long time ago.

What leverage will Trump use to make this happen? He shut down the government for a month over this, and somehow we're to believe that opening up government again will improve the odds of getting his way?

Seems to me if they were just going to give it up in exchange for not calling it a wall, that could have happened a long time ago.

True, but you forget what the condition was from Nancy: "Open up government first!"

Now that Pres. Trump has done that, she'll work with him.

WE DON'T GIVE IN TO TERRORIST OR HOSTAGE TAKERS IN AMERICA EVEN WITH AMERICANS!

There's no way he's trying this again in three weeks. He saw his ratings tank and backed off. He's talking tough to save face, like a whipped schoolyard bully shouting, "I'll get you next time," as he tucks tail and runs. He will not stake his presidency on another such disaster.

The wall ended here today.

That's quite an imagination you have there. You should try to write for a living, eh?

Anyway, the wall will be built.

:lamo :lamo at all you people thinking that Trump has "caved".....

Now, the government is open again, so let's see if Pelosi invites him to give the televised SOTU address... I'm willing to bet that is at least part of the reason why he accepted the 3 week deal...

Another part of it is likely Pelosi's position of "open up gov't FIRST, THEN we'll talk"... Well, now government is oven... Let's see IF she talks...

I doubt it...

True, but you forget what the condition was from Nancy: "Open up government first!"

Since Trump gave her a deadline, there is a slight possibility that she'll work with him...but I won't hold my breath.

theres no logical or rational scenario i can think of where if the government closes again over this issue that the majority of blame isnt still on trump. :shrug:

of course i think they all play a role and "share" blame but the majority falls on trump. A a person may convince themselves its equal blame even if that cant really be supported logically but theres no honest rational that moves the blame to the dems, none LMAO

Prior to the election, illegal immigration the majority of voters polled said illegal Immigration was the number one issue facing the Nation
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JV31K

Trump's campaign promises to secure our Southern border played a large part in his getting elected, and since his election the situation on the border has grown progressively worse

Americans may be on the fence when it comes to a wall, but the majority of Americans want our border secure. That's his leverage, plus he still has the option of declaring National Emergency if the Democrats back out of their agreement to secure the border.

Ann Coulter seems a bit perturbed, wouldn't you say?

8335edcc-d3a0-4988-867a-89720122a65f.png

Whoa. Of all people, I didnt expect Ann Coulter to turn on Trump. :shock:

theres no logical or rational scenario i can think of where if the government closes again over this issue that the majority of blame isnt still on trump. :shrug:

of course i think they all play a role and "share" blame but the majority falls on trump. A a person may convince themselves its equal blame even if that cant really be supported logically but theres no honest rational that moves the blame to the dems, none LMAO

The balls in the Democrats court. Trump made that clear when he said the Democrats had agreed to work on out a deal.

If the Democrats don't honor their commitment, how is that on Trump ?

1.)The balls in the Democrats court. Trump made that clear when he said the Democrats had agreed to work on out a deal.
2.) If the Democrats don't honor their commitment, how is that on Trump ?

1.) nope its still on trump. Trump can SAY whatever he likes its meaningless to reality.
2.) what commitment? factually define it.

It's open for another 3 weeks while he and the Democrats work out a deal on border security

What this did was put the ball back in the Democrats be court while taking the pressure of the shutdown off of Trump

If Democrats refuse to follow through then that's on them

You're not a fast learner. There will be no wall.

Whoa. Of all people, I didnt expect Ann Coulter to turn on Trump. :shock:

She's always been half/half on him. She's not one of the die-hard, he-can-do-nothing-wrong Trumpers.

Yes, he will. Trump caved, and he's going to have to cave again. He doesn't have the votes, and he has nothing to offer Democrats that would even kind of be worth it.

I still say full, permanent protections and a pathway to citizenship for DACA would be worth it. But I don’t know if the Republican Senators would agree.

She will work with her caucus and the republicans across the isle, and they will work with Trump. The dems have a winning hand and more chips to play, as long as they are willing to put a few on the table but they still have to put a few out there.

Prior to the election, illegal immigration the majority of voters polled said illegal Immigration was the number one issue facing the Nation
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1JV31K

Trump's campaign promises to secure our Southern border played a large part in his getting elected, and since his election the situation on the border has grown progressively worse

Americans may be on the fence when it comes to a wall, but the majority of Americans want our border secure. That's his leverage, plus he still has the option of declaring National Emergency if the Democrats back out of their agreement to secure the border.

So today we're believing the election polls? I thought polls were rejected by Trump Fan Nation.

I can't keep up.

1.) nope its still on trump. Trump can SAY whatever he likes its meaningless to reality.
2.) what commitment? factually define it.

If this was always going to be on Trump no matter what he did, then why did the Democrats agree to negotiate ??

If this was always going to be on Trump no matter what he did, then why did the Democrats agree to negotiate ??

i notice you didnt answer my question, ill ask you AGAIN
what commitment? factually define it.

you answer my question then ill gladly answer yours

Well, you don't reward a terrorist with exactly what they want just for releasing their hostages, either. That's the same as negotiating with them, isn't it? You don't reward them, you lighten the punishment.

Anything's possible, but they've been negotiating nonstop for weeks already, and "working with him" might entail nothing more than explaining to him he's pushing a bad position.

The most I can see him getting is a bump in non-wall border spending to save face and speed things along. Absent larger incentives than he's offered so far, I don't see any reason for the Democrats to give him much of anything.

She won the battle but might not win the war.

This puts it squarely back on the Dems. Though it is kind of crappy he tried harder yhan anyone else.

And if no funding they own the next shut down and he can use national security emergency and potentially make the Dems look a lot worse

I'm not sure that acting like a tyrant will make the Democrats look worse.

Americans overwhelmingly do not want the government shut down for a wall.

Democrat support for a wall is at about 8% and they control the House.

They will offer trump a deal, and they might throw him a bone, but also include permanent status for Dreamers, which will make him wretch.

But I think he'll take it. He's a beaten man.

He better squeeze in that SOTUS while he can.

Back
Top Bottom