• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump was trying to build a tower in Moscow while campaigning

SonOfDaedalus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
So, while campaigning and saying we should be friends with Russia, Trump was working on a deal to build a tower in Russia which would have required Putin's approval.

Cohen lied about how long they were working on this deal to Congress. He pleaded guilty to lying. He lied to cover for Trump. The same Trump who said he had NOTHING to do with Russia.

Let the Trump cult members spin this.

The former Trump Organization official previously told Congress that negotiations to build a Trump Tower in Moscow ended in January 2016, but emails showed that he continued to talk with a Russian developer about the project into the summer of 2016 and kept Trump informed of the talks.

While Trump accused Cohen of lying about the Trump Tower Moscow project, the president defended his pursuit of the deal.

Even if he was right, it doesn't matter because I was allowed to do whatever I wanted during the campaign. I was running my business,” he said.

But at the same time, Trump downplayed the significance of the incident because he “decided not to do the project.”

Cohen's plea is significant because it deepens his cooperation with Mueller's probe into Russia's interference in the 2016 campaign and suggests the Trump Organization was more involved with Moscow than previously believed.

Before taking office in January 2017, Trump insisted he had no business relationships with Russia.

“Russia has never tried to use leverage over me. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA - NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!,” he tweeted.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/418881-trump-blasts-cohen-as-weak-person-for-guilty-plea

Trump should be impeached. He advocated pro-Russia policies while pursuing deals with Russia. He directed his lawyer, Cohen, to lie to Congress about his clear conflict of interest.

Moreover, his interest in deals in Russia perfectly explains his pro-Russia policies that even his own White House disagree with.

He should be impeached for directing Cohen to lie and for his conflict of interest regarding Russia.

So, while campaigning and saying we should be friends with Russia, Trump was working on a deal to build a tower in Russia which would have required Putin's approval.

Cohen lied about how long they were working on this deal to Congress. He pleaded guilty to lying. He lied to cover for Trump. The same Trump who said he had NOTHING to do with Russia.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/418881-trump-blasts-cohen-as-weak-person-for-guilty-plea

Trump should be impeached. He advocated pro-Russia policies while pursuing deals with Russia. He directed his lawyer, Cohen, to lie to Congress about his clear conflict of interest.

Moreover, his interest in deals in Russia perfectly explains his pro-Russia policies that even his own White House disagree with.

He should be impeached for directing Cohen to lie and for his conflict of interest regarding Russia.
You want to impeach a real estate developer for looking into building something?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cohen said the plans for a Trump tower in Russia had noting to do with the campaign. Trump blew it off because he was running for POTUS.

You want to impeach a real estate developer for looking into building something?
7mPP.gif

I want to impeach a president who was promoting pro-Russia policies while trying to do business with Russia and lying to hide this from the public.

Isn't this what corruption is all about? If a politician is pushing policies for personal financial gain, isn't that corruption?

If that's not corruption, what is corruption?

Trump campaigned on draining the swamp. What is the swamp other than politicians pretending to serve the public while secretly advancing policies to enrich themselves? Trump is the biggest swamp rat we have ever seen.

For lying about it to Mueller? YES. Republicans supported Impeaching Clinton for lying about a blowjob and called it "Obstruction of Justice".

No... but you should impeach when that real estate developer is looking into building something in a different country... after that real estate developer got elected as President of the United States.

Uh, they were negotiating with Russian government officials.

Neal Katyal
‏Verified account @neal_katyal

Folks need to remember when Michael Cohen was negotiating the deal with "Russia" for Trump, he was not negotiating like a regular business transaction. The plea agreement says he was negotiating with Kremlin *OFFICIALS* -- not private businesspersons. This is no ordinary biz.

https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/status/1068179209263169537?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1068179209263169537&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Flittlegreenfootballs.com%2Farticle%2F48641_Michael_Cohens_Plea_Deal_Shows

The best part is he is worried about spin

Trump said no one he was aware of had any contact with Russia during the campaign. He said "I have nothing to do with Russia." "No person that I deal with [had anything to do with Russia]"

No... but you should impeach when that real estate developer is looking into building something in a different country... after that real estate developer got elected as President of the United States.
Am I mistaken in thinking this was before he was elected?

Trump said no one he was aware of had any contact with Russia during the campaign. He said "I have nothing to do with Russia." "No person that I deal with [had anything to do with Russia]"

That's a fair criticism. Might of been poorly worded by him as he was speaking in the context of collusion, maybe he didn't remember, maybe he lied. You choose to assume the worst scenario but you raise a fair point. However even if he did lie, he did not commit a crime.

Am I mistaken in thinking this was before he was elected?

No, you're correct about that.

But Cohen LIED TO CONGRESS about this. Why? Cohen was Trump's personal attorney. Cohen says he lied so as not to contradict Trump's lies.

Now you want to believe they lied to Congress about something that doesn't matter.

It does matter. It matters because he was running for president, talking pro-Russia policies, while trying to make a deal that would require Putin's approval.

Impeached for what crime? Be specific.

That's a fair criticism. Might of been poorly worded by him as he was speaking in the context of collusion, maybe he didn't remember, maybe he lied. You choose to assume the worst scenario but you raise a fair point. However even if he did lie, he did not commit a crime.

It seems you're starting to accept that he lied. Here's more for you.

Impeached for what crime? Be specific.

For lying to Congress through his lawyer Michael Cohen. What Cohen did is a crime. He pleaded guilty for it. He did this on behalf of Trump.

For lying to Congress through his lawyer Michael Cohen. What Cohen did is a crime. He pleaded guilty for it. He did this on behalf of Trump.

When did President Trump testify before Congress?

No, you're correct about that.

But Cohen LIED TO CONGRESS about this. Why? Cohen was Trump's personal attorney. Cohen says he lied so as not to contradict Trump's lies.

Now you want to believe they lied to Congress about something that doesn't matter.

It does matter. It matters because he was running for president, talking pro-Russia policies, while trying to make a deal that would require Putin's approval.
I understand where you're coming from. Its suspicious. It's fair to raise questions. I dont know why Cohen does the things he does.

Bottom line is there isn't evidence of any crime.

The plan was scrubbed Jan. 2016

The plan was scrubbed Jan. 2016
Oh, then you clearly haven't kept up with the news today.
At a surprise federal court hearing in Manhattan, Mr. Cohen admitted that he had minimized Mr. Trump’s role in efforts to build a Trump Tower in Moscow and gave the false impression to Congress that the negotiations had ended in January 2016, just before the Iowa caucuses.

In fact, Mr. Cohen admitted, the negotiations continued for at least another five months, until June, which was just after Mr. Trump had clinched the Republican nomination. Mr. Cohen also admitted that he agreed in early May to travel to Russia for meetings on the project and that he spoke to Mr. Trump about Mr. Trump, himself, making a trip, despite telling congressional investigators that he had not done so. The trips never happened.

Mr. Cohen concluded his statement in court by saying that he made the false statements to Congress out of “loyalty” to the president and so that he would not contradict Mr. Trump’s “political messaging.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/nyregion/michael-cohen-trump-russia-mueller.html

That's okay, with the rampant corruption in this administration, it is hard to keep up. Luckily for you, I'm here today to help. :)

I dont know why Cohen does the things he does.

Cohen was being loyal to Trump. Trump lied. His personal attorney could not contradict Trump before Congress.

Do you seriously expect Cohen to have said before Congress, "The President lied"?

Trump is complicit in Cohen's lie. If your lawyer is lying for you, you're just as guilty. If Cohen was lying without Trump's knowledge, then you could say it was Cohen fault. But if Cohen is just backing up what Trump is saying, that's a conspiracy to lie to Congress.

Back
Top Bottom