• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Wants to Deliver Prime Time Address on Government Shutdown and Will Visit the Border

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
President Trump wants to address the nation about the government shutdown on Tuesday night, and later in the week plans to travel to the southern border as part of his effort to persuade Americans of the need for a border wall — the sticking point in negotiations with Democrats who are eager to reopen shuttered agencies.

The White House did not immediately respond to questions about a request to television networks to carve out time for an Oval Office address. A person familiar with the request said the White House had asked to interrupt prime time programming on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-address-border-visit.html

Tuesday night 9 pm eastern time. This announcement imo will be the end of the shutdown and to declare a national emergency.

Last edited:
Here comes the "National Emergency" declaration.

What's next, the Enabling Act?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/trump-address-border-visit.html

Tuesday night 9 pm eastern time. This announcement imo will be the end of the shutdown and to declare a national emergency.

Christ, as if the USA isn't a big enough laughing stock internationally, the world is going to watch the leader of the USA declare a national emergency in order to get a monument to himself built. And the truly hilarious part is that about 1/3 of all Americans will support this behaviour.

Buckle up.... MSM will be going into hysterics with out having a clue what is going on!
I understood president was visiting the border this Thursday?

Buckle up.... MSM will be going into hysterics with out having a clue what is going on!
I understood president was visiting the border this Thursday?

With Trump, it's a very safe bet it will be a clown show. He's literally the biggest laughing stock in the world.

Declaring a national emergency so a wall can get built after the legislation your own party voted for... did not include it...

If that's what ends up happening, it sounds like a reasonable thing to do that will have absolutely no political blowback.

:)

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

I would declare the emergency but keep the shutdown. We know that the liberals will disregard the rule of law right until they need to claim they’re defenders of the constitution. So Trump should declare the emergency but he should only agree to reopen the government once the wall is actually being constructed otherwise the left will get their donors being paid once more and no wall to show for it

I would declare the emergency but keep the shutdown. We know that the liberals will disregard the rule of law right until they need to claim they’re defenders of the constitution. So Trump should declare the emergency but he should only agree to reopen the government once the wall is actually being constructed otherwise the left will get their donors being paid once more and no wall to show for it

By legality, if you declare a national emergency you are ending the shutdown.

Good. Get the wall built then point to how much the wall system has helped decrease illegal immigration and crime by the time 2020 comes around. Dems will look like the pathetic, partisan hacks they really are.

Good. Get the wall built then point to how much the wall system has helped decrease illegal immigration and crime by the time 2020 comes around. Dems will look like the pathetic, partisan hacks they really are.
I hope Trump listens to you.

There is no way for your plan to fail. I mean, it didn't fail in 2018. It's why Republicans still control the house, and can pass any bill they want in the Senate.

Trump should listen to seasoned scholars like yourself.

By legality, if you declare a national emergency you are ending the shutdown.

That's going to hurt Dems. It will be Trump taking matters into his own hands and ending the shutdown before another paycheck is missed.
This is going to backfire in Dems, bigly. It will highlight the fact that they don't really care about the cost of illegals, human trafficking, crime and drugs coming across our border.

I hope Trump listens to you.

There is no way for your plan to fail. I mean, it didn't fail in 2018. It's why Republicans still control the house, and can pass any bill they want in the Senate.

Trump should listen to seasoned scholars like yourself.

Aw, look at you ad hom'ing! Trump already listens to the right people and primarily, it's the people who work the border every single day. Dems act like they don't matter.

The fiasco over the wall continues...

Aw, look at you ad hom'ing! Trump already listens to the right people and primarily, it's the people who work the border every single day. Dems act like they don't matter.
I really hope Trump listens to people like yourself. There is absolutely no way for your plan to fail or have blowback. It'll decimate Democrats for sure, just like it did in 2018. How can Trump possibly go wrong with well educated folks like yourself backing him.

I really, really hope he follows through with your idea.

Maybe America is about to discover just how vulnerable they are.
If a man who was elected President by a minority can shut down the government and arbitrarily declare a national emergency to give himself powers that the elected Congress won't, you might be about to learn a hard lesson.

Last edited:
That's going to hurt Dems. It will be Trump taking matters into his own hands and ending the shutdown before another paycheck is missed.
This is going to backfire in Dems, bigly. It will highlight the fact that they don't really care about the cost of illegals, human trafficking, crime and drugs coming across our border.

You don't suppose that anyone will draw attention to previous administrations enabling drug and gun flows from Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama with the assistance of the CIA and that includes the Sinaloa Cartel, Mena, Arkansas, etc. Just follow the cookie crumbs, realistically.
/

Maybe he ought to listen instead to the voters. They rejected his wall, twice. He's looking at declaring this emergency so he can get powers that the elected Congress won't give him. Does that sound to you how your government should work?

Maybe America is about to discover just how vulnerable they are.
If a man who was elected President by a minority can shut down the government and arbitrarily declare a national emergency to give himself powers that the Congress won't, you might be about to learn a hard lesson.
I really hope Trump listens to legalese speakers on the internet. They've worked out wonderfully for Manafort, Flynn, and Cohen.

I mean, if he just listened to more people on the internet, he'd have a [emoji817]% approval rating.

I hope he decides to declare a national emergency so he can arbitrarily decide to build the wall in spite of what his party voted. It'll ensure Republican victories for 1000 years.

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom