• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump wanted out of NATO

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The NY Times is reporting that last year President Trump floated the idea of withdrawing the USA from the NATO pact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/politics/nato-president-trump.html

WASHINGTON — There are few things that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia desires more than the weakening of NATO, the military alliance among the United States, Europe and Canada that has deterred Soviet and Russian aggression for 70 years.
Last year, President Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying NATO: the withdrawal of the United States.
Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Current and former officials who support the alliance said they feared Mr. Trump could return to his threat as allied military spending continued to lag behind the goals the president had set.
In the days around a tumultuous NATO summit meeting last summer, they said, Mr. Trump told his top national security officials that he did not see the point of the military alliance, which he presented as a drain on the United States.

At the time, Mr. Trump’s national security team, including Jim Mattis, then the defense secretary, and John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, scrambled to keep American strategy on track without mention of a withdrawal that would drastically reduce Washington’s influence in Europe and could embolden Russia for decades.
Now, the president’s repeatedly stated desire to withdraw from NATO is raising new worries among national security officials amid growing concern about Mr. Trump’s efforts to keep his meetings with Mr. Putin secret from even his own aides, and an F.B.I. investigation into the administration’s Russia ties.

This comes on the heels of two blockbuster reports over the weekend which are causing many to seriously evaluate the Trump/Russia relationship and to question where Trumps motivations - if not his loyalties - truly lie.

The NY Times is reporting that last year President Trump floated the idea of withdrawing the USA from the NATO pact.

WASHINGTON — There are few things that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia desires more than the weakening of NATO, the military alliance among the United States, Europe and Canada that has deterred Soviet and Russian aggression for 70 years.
Last year, President Trump suggested a move tantamount to destroying NATO: the withdrawal of the United States.
Senior administration officials told The New York Times that several times over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump privately said he wanted to withdraw from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Current and former officials who support the alliance said they feared Mr. Trump could return to his threat as allied military spending continued to lag behind the goals the president had set.
In the days around a tumultuous NATO summit meeting last summer, they said, Mr. Trump told his top national security officials that he did not see the point of the military alliance, which he presented as a drain on the United States.

ADVERTISEMENT

At the time, Mr. Trump’s national security team, including Jim Mattis, then the defense secretary, and John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, scrambled to keep American strategy on track without mention of a withdrawal that would drastically reduce Washington’s influence in Europe and could embolden Russia for decades.
Now, the president’s repeatedly stated desire to withdraw from NATO is raising new worries among national security officials amid growing concern about Mr. Trump’s efforts to keep his meetings with Mr. Putin secret from even his own aides, and an F.B.I. investigation into the administration’s Russia ties.

good. I hope he re-floats that idea.

good. I hope he re-floats that idea.

I do too, only in so much as I'd love to see those EU nations squirm at the very thought of it happening. That said, strategically, notwithstanding the freeloading EU, NATO is still very much a good idea. Besides, he would need congressional approval for such a move, he wouldn't find much support from congress on this one, I'm afraid.

Tim-

This comes on the heels of two blockbuster reports over the weekend which are causing many to seriously evaluate the Trump/Russia relationship and to question where Trumps motivations - if not his loyalties - truly lie.

Personally, I have always thought that NATO should have gone the same way as SEATO and CENTO once the USSR broke apart and the Warsaw Pact Disbanded. Mission accomplished.

He probably wants to create a new alliance - with Russia and North Korea. He can call it NKVD - the Nation of Kim, Vlad and Don.

The real reason we are talking about this is Trump and Russia.

Otherwise just about everyone agrees that NATO presents an issue in terms of being out of date, the original calling for the organization does not match today's concerns with Russia and thus protections for western Europe ('ish.) I am not sure we ever saw NATO pivot well enough to deal with concerns member nations face from Russia, China, various spots in the Middle East, etc.

In any other context I would be okay with walking from NATO.

As always, doing Putin's bidding. There is a cancer in the Oval Office.

... just about everyone agrees that NATO presents an issue in terms of being out of date, the original calling for the organization does not match today's concerns with Russia and thus protections for western Europe ('ish.)

You may want to double check with some folks in Ukraine ...

The Title should read: Putin Wants US out of NATO; Trump Complies

I do too, only in so much as I'd love to see those EU nations squirm at the very thought of it happening. That said, strategically, notwithstanding the freeloading EU, NATO is still very much a good idea. Besides, he would need congressional approval for such a move, he wouldn't find much support from congress on this one, I'm afraid.

Tim-
its the US who should enjoy the free ride by being a NATO member. The rest need to pick up 100% of the tab.

Banzai!

Let Trump go for it.

By all means.
once he starts ruling by dictatorial decree, you won’t know what’s happening because he will turn off the press save for the Boston Herald, the New York Post and the Washington Times. And maybe the WSJ. But maybe not.

its the US who should enjoy the free ride by being a NATO member. The rest need to pick up 100% of the tab.

Nato is principally an alliance of the leading democracies of the world.

USA benefits from it immensely.

Especially with Putin wanting to spread his maladies west joined with Beijing to the east and connected to Iran to the south. Equally out of balance, one hundred percent is the demand of an absolutist. It is extreme. It is in fact wildly radical, same as Trump is.

NATO and the presence of US missiles, weapon, and troops adjacent to Russia's botders has caused more World and Eurasian tensions and contributed to the restarting of the current Cold War. Now the profiteers/psychopaths of the MIC are in love with this scenario, the sane citizens should be aghast that it has been encouraged to occur. There is no wisdom behind NATO. Europe is not threatened by Russia, it is threatened by USA tariffs, sanctions and trade policies. Scrap NATO. Invest in Renewables and Local Infrastructure Development in USA and Europe.
/

Nato is principally an alliance of the leading democracies of the world.

USA benefits from it immensely.

Especially with Putin wanting to spread his maladies west joined with Beijing to the east and connected to Iran to the south. Equally out of balance, one hundred percent is the demand of an absolutist. It is extreme. It is in fact wildly radical, same as Trump is.

The “ US “ only benefits from it by the production jobs of the military contractors. And those are paid for by congress.

The real reason we are talking about this is Trump and Russia.

Otherwise just about everyone agrees that NATO presents an issue in terms of being out of date, the original calling for the organization does not match today's concerns with Russia and thus protections for western Europe ('ish.) I am not sure we ever saw NATO pivot well enough to deal with concerns member nations face from Russia, China, various spots in the Middle East, etc.

In any other context I would be okay with walking from NATO.

This tells me, Mueller has nothing.

of course, that's what Putin wants

It is so sad how often stuff like this that we knew a year or three ago about Trump keeps hitting the so-called journalism headlines as news. It is not new, it is not news, it is anti- Trump propaganda programed in now in the project of molding minds.

Screen grab of Russia Channel 1

Even the Russians can scarcely believe how self-destructive Donald Trump is. Tatyana Parkhalinala: "Amazingly, Trump's main slogan is "Make America Great Again"... He doesn't seem to understand that by undermining the transatlantic unity, Trump is undercutting one of the very foundations that make America great."

Underscoring the Trumpian idiocy of this, a Russian political talking head understands the importance of American alliances far better than the president of the United States.

Back
Top Bottom