• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: Walls work, look at San Antonio TX ...

CEngelbrecht

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
... that doesn't have a wall.

Trump says city where there is no wall is excellent example of where the border wall worked. Yes, really | Indy 100

While commenting on the continuing partial government shutdown, the US president said on Saturday:
"Everybody knows that walls work.
You look at different places they put up a wall, no problem.
Look at San Antonio. You look at so many different places.
They go from one of the most unsafe cities in the county to one of the safest cities, immediately, immediately."

But a quick Google search will reveal that, while San Antonio is often known as one of the most welcoming and safe cities in Texas, there are no walls barring anyone.
It's also probably important to mention that the city remains 150 miles from the Mexican border, and the effectiveness of a wall surrounding it remains unclear.
And he is definitely not referring to the Alamo walls which did exist in San Antonio during the 18th century, but were torn down and burned by the Mexican army in the Battle of Alamo in 1836...

While the city's mayor Ron Nirnberg confirmed that San Antonio is one of the safest cities in the country, with a crime rate that is at a 30-year low, he made no comment about Trump's claims and the the city’s wall. Probably because there isn’t one.

Yes, this is actually happening.

C,mon, man there was that 1836 thingy with Mexicans and ladders........

Being 150 miles from the border is pretty good protection as well. Hey, that gives me an idea! Let's just have 150 mile no man's land on the border and move everything back a bit! Maybe Trump would take that as a compromise to his wall...er fence..er.. barrier...er whatever.

Also, my house has walls.

C,mon, man there was that 1836 thingy with Mexicans and ladders........

...but the walls are still standing. At least some of them.
Not much else.

:mrgreen: I am sure all those 4,000 bayonets, muskets, and some artillery might have had some bearing too.
Not to mention some of the best mounted lancers in the world.

Last edited:
Not much else.

So’s the one in China.....What’s that got to do with the price of tea in ..........Java?

So’s the one in China.....What’s that got to do with the price of tea in ..........Java?

I heard that one did not work so well either. :(
I heard a theory once, it killed more Chinese building it than it protected.

It would not matter if we had all 2,000 miles of our southern border walled up with a concrete wall 50 feet high.
If we do not kill all the benefits they get once they step foot on American soil, it will all be a waste of time.

Eliminate all the free stuff and incentives and you won't need a wall.

Ya' gotta' admit. That Trump can grab a thought. Like grabbin' *****, I guess. Random. Wrong. Let's one know where his mind is, eh?
/

Yes he can grab a thought because of the utterly stupid statements he makes, stops my train of thought dead in its tracks with astonishment. I wonder how he can fix his mouth to say some of the things he does? I don't know where his mind is, I only know where it's not...attached to his brain.

Being 150 miles from the border is pretty good protection as well. Hey, that gives me an idea! Let's just have 150 mile no man's land on the border and move everything back a bit! Maybe Trump would take that as a compromise to his wall...er fence..er.. barrier...er whatever.

Isn't that where the deadly caravan awaits???

d98.gif

Not much else.

:mrgreen: I am sure all those 4,000 bayonets, muskets, and some artillery might have had some bearing too.

Just saw your edit; those mounted lancers, how were they deployed against fortifications?

.....and where where they (lancers) at San Jacinto?

Not much else.

That was one of the things that struck me as odd when I visited. Sections of the wall are visible, preserved under glass covers set in the sidewalk outside the Alamo.

Incredibly, right beside Ripley's Believe it or Not! On the other side of the street! Alamo Plaza literally cuts through the Alamo's front yard!

i am looking forward to a time when Trump is voted out and i don't have to randomly stumble on stories about him and his cult hourly.

I heard that one did not work so well either. :(
I heard a theory once, it killed more Chinese building it than it protected.

It would not matter if we had all 2,000 miles of our southern border walled up with a concrete wall 50 feet high.
If we do not kill all the benefits they get once they step foot on American soil, it will all be a waste of time.

Eliminate all the free stuff and incentives and you won't need a wall.

Please explain what benefits illegal immigrants are eligible for.

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know what Trump was talking about with reference to San Antonio?

Just saw your edit; those mounted lancers, how were they deployed against fortifications?

.....and where where they (lancers) at San Jacinto?

They were set around the Alamo and picked off several who tried to make a break for it.
Santa Anna also deliberately left a small road open in hopes Sam Houston would arrive or at least Fannin. That way he could have gotten them all.
Once he decided to destroy the Alamo and knew no one of those two were coming, he deployed the lancers to put the cork in the bottle.

After the Alamo was destroyed he divided his army into three parts to cut off a retreat to the USA for Houston,
another to chase Houston with he at the head,
and another to deal with Fannin at Goliad and deal with any Commanche roaming through the area too.

Those lancers did not go with him to chase Houston. They stayed with Cos in the more open country where they were of better use.
Say what you may, but Santa Anna was a very good general and his tactics were solid.
His main weakness was women and his absolute power.
The "Yellow Rose of Texas" ensured he was "busy" during the Texans march across open country at San Jacinto in their attack.
Everyone knew to no bother the generalissimo when he was "busy".
Sam Houston and the Yellow Rose knew that too.
That was why she was planted in his camp.

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know what Trump was talking about with reference to San Antonio?

Since it starts with San, I figure he means San Diego. Someone else suggested he might mean El Paso.

.... The big mystery here is the lack of rightwing defense. I guess Trumpsters have gotten bored with reminding us that Obama once, in exhaustion, said "57 states".

That was one of the things that struck me as odd when I visited. Sections of the wall are visible, preserved under glass covers set in the sidewalk outside the Alamo.

Incredibly, right beside Ripley's Believe it or Not! On the other side of the street! Alamo Plaza literally cuts through the Alamo's front yard!

Yes, wierd, isn't it.
There was also an uproar when they decided to tear down the barracks in I think the 1930's, but not sure.
The barracks was where most of the fighting took place once they got inside the wall.

Now, if you would like to see something from that era that is still pretty much intact as it was, go visit the fort at Goliad. People still find musket ball after a hard rain.

Last edited:
They were set around the Alamo and picked off several who tried to make a break for it.
Santa Anna also deliberately left a small road open in hopes Sam Houston would arrive or at least Fannin. That way he could have gotten them all.
Once he decided to destroy the Alamo and knew no one of those two were coming, he deployed the lancers to put the cork in the bottle.

After the Alamo was destroyed he divided his army into three parts to cut off a retreat to the USA for Houston,
another to chase Houston with he at the head,
and another to deal with Fannin at Goliad and deal with any Commanche roaming through the area too.

Those lancers did not go with him to chase Houston. They stayed with Cos in the more open country where they were of better use.
Say what you may, but Santa Anna was a very good general and his tactics were solid.
His main weakness was women and his absolute power.
The "Yellow Rose of Texas" ensured he was "busy" during the Texans march across open country at San Jacinto in their attack.
Everyone knew to no bother the generalissimo when he was "busy".
Sam Houston and the Yellow Rose knew that too.
That was why she was planted in his camp.

Thanks for the information! (No snark)

Seguín got through, if I remember my US History, yes?

Are you geographically near San Antonio?

Thanks for the information! (No snark)

Seguín got through, if I remember my US History, yes?

Are you geographically near San Antonio?

A lot of people got through because Santa Anna wanted them to get through and he wanted the messages of help to get out.
Then he would have all of the Texicans in one box.

I am about five hours away from San Antonio, but when i used to live in Deer Park, I was right next to San Jacinto, and only 3 hours away from San Antonio.
A Hwy 225 & Hwy 1836 20 minute drive and you were there.

PS...you can snark all you like. I know there is no mean intent behind it.

Please explain what benefits illegal immigrants are eligible for.

Look it up yourself.
I am busy talking to friends, and other friends i have not made yet.
Your hostility is already known to me.

A lot of people got through because Santa Anna wanted them to get through and he wanted the messages of help to get out.
Then he would have all of the Texicans in one box.

I am about five hours away from San Antonio, but when i used to live in Deer Park, I was right next to San Jacinto, and only 3 hours away from San Antonio.
A Hwy 225 & Hwy 1836 20 minute drive and you were there.

PS...you can snark all you like. I know there is no mean intent behind it.

Wasn’t there a tree out front that was poisoned a few years back? In front of the Alamo.

Back
Top Bottom