• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump vows 'very long' government shutdown over border wall

It takes 60 votes to pass legislation in the Senate all the Republicans will vote for it. The President will sign it if it reaches his desk. Zero Democrats have voted for it in the House and no Democrat in the Senate supports it either. Therefore the Democrats are the ones that are stopping the house legislation not the Republicans. This is Schumer Shutdown II plain an simple. If this goes on the Republicans may go nuclear on the Democrats.

He is weaponizing it. He wants his wall and won't compromise for anything else. It's the art of the deal - if you don't get everything you want, have a temper tantrum and go out of business.

Read the article.
Obama shut down everything, weaponizing against the people... Trump isn't doing that. The gov. is still partially open! Again, READ the article.

Obama shut down the gov. COMPLETELY because of what he wanted and wouldn't compromise for 18 long days.
Trump is on day two of his PARTIALLY CLOSED gov. because he wants a measly 0.135% of the federal budget to fund his signature legislation. The obstructing Democrats are complicit!

You’re wrong, as usual.

You do accept NBC-DNC as a source?

Dude.. lay off the eggnog. It clearly states in your OWN ****ING QUOTE, that the Senate requires 60 votes to ADVANCE it to final passage.. that is exactly what I stated. You do understand there is a difference between advancing a bill to be able to vote on it for final passage and the actual vote for final passage right?

Amazing you dont even know your system and this is a basic one that has been talked about since forever.

Dude.. lay off the eggnog. It clearly states in your OWN ****ING QUOTE, that the Senate requires 60 votes to ADVANCE it to final passage.. that is exactly what I stated. You do understand there is a difference between advancing a bill to be able to vote on it for final passage and the actual vote for final passage right?

Amazing you dont even know your system and this is a basic one that has been talked about since forever.

You were being deceitful.

Good try though.

He is weaponizing it. He wants his wall and won't compromise for anything else. It's the art of the deal - if you don't get everything you want, have a temper tantrum and go out of business.

The American people voted for this.

The American people thrice bitch slapped Congress for trying to pass amnesty for the invaders... and Congress dropped it because of the American people rising up.

Democrats promised border security 32-years ago.

It is Democrats who are having a tantrum. It’s actually fun and funny to watch.

Good try though.

LOOL caught with your pants down not knowing your own legislative system and you go on the offensive by calling me deceitful.. what page of the Trump manual is that on?

LOOL caught with your pants down not knowing your own legislative system and you go on the offensive by calling me deceitful.. what page of the Trump manual is that on?

Probably the same page that omitted the fact that the senate had passed a spending bill that had no funding for the wall and it passed unanimously. It was the Republican House that failed to pass that spending bill.

I mean constitutionally can he do this? Im sure there is a law somewhere that validates this, and if so it has to be corrected in sometime soon to avoid it from going on as long as im sure he has planned, but will it stand as the 116th Congress gets sworn in?

Good try though.

Chuckie Schumer is a lot like Harry Reid. They are both stubborn and demonstrated they do not care if the government shuts down or if America goes bankrupt or if America suffers more massive terror attacks. They both demonstrated their intention to force Congress to do their own will or else.

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."
-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

Probably the same page that omitted the fact that the senate had passed a spending bill that had no funding for the wall and it passed unanimously. It was the Republican House that failed to pass that spending bill.

Did the GOP house not pass the spending bill at first without the funding and then went back and changed it? But yea.

Read the article.
Obama shut down everything, weaponizing against the people... Trump isn't doing that. The gov. is still partially open! Again, READ the article.

Obama shut down the gov. COMPLETELY because of what he wanted and wouldn't compromise for 18 long days.
Trump is on day two of his PARTIALLY CLOSED gov. because he wants a measly 0.135% of the federal budget to fund his signature legislation. The obstructing Democrats are complicit!

Trump is doing it. Using the shutdown as a weapon to get his precious wall. Those Damn Democrats aren't letting him be a dictator, and you cry because you want a dictatorship.

The American people voted for this.

The American people thrice bitch slapped Congress for trying to pass amnesty for the invaders... and Congress dropped it because of the American people rising up.

Democrats promised border security 32-years ago.

It is Democrats who are having a tantrum. It’s actually fun and funny to watch.

The American people just bitch slapped the Republicans. Or did you forget that there was an election?

Walls are not effective border security. But you and your God-Emperor are having a temper tantrum because Democrats won't let him do whatever he wants.

Sorry, didn't know that was her foot.

Oh no, the pictures are just generic, but yes, her toe looked a lot like that, it was pretty gnarly looking.
I told the doctor that I am terrified of messing with her feet because the least little thing can set this off.
If you cut the toe accidentally while trimming a toenail, or any kind of a cut to the toes at all you run the risk of setting off a bone infection.
It all boils down to crappy circulation in the lower extremities, and most paraplegics have lousy leg circulation.

She doesn't have a spinal cord injury, she has multiple sclerosis, but it technically makes her a paraplegic even though she still has some feeling in certain parts of her legs and feet.

Anyway, what I was getting at is, ignoring stuff like a government shutdown and thinking it doesn't do any harm is just like a paraplegic ignoring or neglecting their feet, or any able bodied person ignoring a bad infection. You think it's just minor until the infection hits your bloodstream.
Then all of a sudden you turn septic and go into toxic shock and you can be dead in a matter of hours.

The entire notion that a government shutdown, even a partial one, is benign is sheer lunacy.
I suspect that, just like the last time, the Centers for Disease Control will be shut down.
Imagine a severe epidemic suddenly hits part or all of the United States, and the CDC's network of techs and researches are all home on furlough.

Or imagine that a severe winter storm is about to hit the East Coast and the National Weather Service is closed, so no advanced forecasting is available.
Or imagine that a sudden severe epidemic hits the food supply somewhere, and the FDA is closed.

This is mass madness. It is playing Russian Roulette.

Oh no, the pictures are just generic, but yes, her toe looked a lot like that, it was pretty gnarly looking.
I told the doctor that I am terrified of messing with her feet because the least little thing can set this off.
If you cut the toe accidentally while trimming a toenail, or any kind of a cut to the toes at all you run the risk of setting off a bone infection.
It all boils down to crappy circulation in the lower extremities, and most paraplegics have lousy leg circulation.

She doesn't have a spinal cord injury, she has multiple sclerosis, but it technically makes her a paraplegic even though she still has some feeling in certain parts of her legs and feet.

Anyway, what I was getting at is, ignoring stuff like a government shutdown and thinking it doesn't do any harm is just like a paraplegic ignoring or neglecting their feet, or any able bodied person ignoring a bad infection. You think it's just minor until the infection hits your bloodstream.
Then all of a sudden you turn septic and go into toxic shock and you can be dead in a matter of hours.

The entire notion that a government shutdown, even a partial one, is benign is sheer lunacy.
I suspect that, just like the last time, the Centers for Disease Control will be shut down.
Imagine a severe epidemic suddenly hits part or all of the United States, and the CDC's network of techs and researches are all home on furlough.

Or imagine that a severe winter storm is about to hit the East Coast and the National Weather Service is closed, so no advanced forecasting is available.
Or imagine that a sudden severe epidemic hits the food supply somewhere, and the FDA is closed.

This is mass madness. It is playing Russian Roulette.

And come January 3rd, a new spending bill sans wall funding will be passed by the New Democratic majority in the House, which then goes to the senate.

Toss in the "fake media" to boot. Because Donald never said what he said. :roll:

Just wait. In a week, it will be "He never said to build a wall" and all of his acolytes will deny that they said it either.

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security... I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."
-Donald Trump to Chuck Schumer.

Literally what i said, how can anybody blame this on Chuck when the President has openly and clearly stated this would be his responsibility? :lol: (a stupid move clearly)

Shovel ready jobs are always available, and they aren't dependent on a good or bad economic situation. If you can't find any, you aren't looking. How has that GM bailout worked out? Nobody can reasonably expect that all effort will be successful, but we should've been able to expect a much higher and quicker recovery rate than we experienced under the Obama administration. As economic performance indicated, we received far too little for such enormous spending.

Bullcrap, this was a major heavy lifting shot in the arm, and you're ignoring the numbers.
How did the GM bailout work out?
Ask the Department of the Treasury.

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I take the view of Moody’s chief economist Mark Zandi, who points out that "following the bailout, auto-industry employment stabilized and then rebounded, and the companies re-emerged as profitable entities."

You appear to be taking the view of Cato Insitute's Daniel Ikenson, who says, “My concern was that the normal process of market capitalism was being disrupted,” he said. “By going in to bail out companies — not the industry, we were bailing out a couple of companies that had made bad decisions — we were shielding them from the effects of their decisions.”

But I am also thinking of 341,000 additional jobs.

AutoChart.JPG

You seem to prefer the darwinian approach, the "life is a contact sport" viewpoint.
For those who aren't vulnerable, God bless em, that appears to be the default, as part of the human condition.
Funny how to some, like myself, it seems to resemble more of an ape-like approach, not quite human.

The "Darwinian approach to everything" can and will come back to bite even the most staunch promoters, and when it does, you usually see a lot of instances where those same people are suddenly asking for a break.
"But this is different", they say.
Yeah, it's not.

And that is why I DO NOT BUY into the Darwinian Brave New World/Law of the Jungle nonsense.
I don't believe it's actually true, I just think it's a lot of swagger and false bravado.
Nine out of ten of the most hardcore darwinians couldn't hack it if they were suddenly behind the Eight Ball and they often scream the loudest when the pain hits them.
They spend their entire lives talking about Ayn Rand, and makers and takers, but when the cold reality hits, suddenly they become activists pleading their case in full castrato.

Atlas%20Shrugged%20Farce.jpg

Literally what i said, how can anybody blame this on Chuck when the President has openly and clearly stated this would be his responsibility? :lol: (a stupid move clearly)

Ever been around members of the Unification Church (The Moonies) or some Scientologists?
Very similar reactions and very similar apologetics.

Trump is a cult of personality.

I view it the same as boating, basically the rule is sail boats under sail have the right of way over power boats because the power boat is more maneuverable and can avoid a collision easier. However, the fault is laid to the vessel that had the last chance to avoid a collision but did not.

I view it the same as boating, basically the rule is sail boats under sail have the right of way over power boats because the power boat is more maneuverable and can avoid a collision easier. However, the fault is laid to the vessel that had the last chance to avoid a collision but did not.

Not quite sure of your analogy; We had a boat (power) for about ten years and sailboats got a wide berth........

So how does that translate to this situation involving the wall funding?

The senate unanimously passed a spending bill that would have kept the government funded until February but the bill contained no funding for the wall.

Back
Top Bottom