• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump voters now blame him for the government shutdown

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

mymexico.jpg

No, Mexico isn't cutting a check for your wall. Get it from your taxpayers.

1/21/19
Two years ago, Jeff Daudert was fed up with politics. He wanted to shake up the status quo. He didn’t mind sending a message to the establishment — and, frankly, he liked the idea of a disruptive president. But the 49-year-old retired Navy reservist has had some second thoughts. “What the [expletive] were we thinking?” he asked the other night inside a Walmart here, in an area of blue-collar suburban Detroit that helped deliver Trump the presidency. While Trump’s relationship with much of his base remains strong, two years after his inauguration his ties are fraying with voters like Daudert, the kind who voted in droves for Trump in 2016 in key pockets throughout the industrial Midwest and flipped previously Democratic states to him. The shutdown fight, as it has played out over the past month, is further eroding his support among voters who like the idea of beefing up border security, but not enough to close the government. Many here, even those who still support Trump, say they hold him most responsible. They recite his comment from the Oval Office that he would be “proud to shut down the government.” When he said it, they listened. “It’s silly. It’s destructive,” Daudert said, adding that all he knows about 2020 is that he won’t be supporting Trump. “I was certainly for the anti-status quo. … I’ll be more status quo next time.” Recent polling indicates that the government shutdown has caused skittishness among parts of Trump’s base, which has been one of the most enduring strengths of his presidency.

A new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll, conducted Jan. 10 to Jan. 13, found his net approval rating had dropped 7 points since December. One of the biggest drops came from suburban men, whose approval rating of Trump fell a net change of 18 percentage points, while evangelicals and Republicans also dipped by smaller margins. Among men without a college degree, the downward change was 7 points. As Jeremiah Wilburn, a 45-year-old operating engineer, browsed the aisles at Walmart for a new pair of coveralls, he reflected on some of those shifts. “I was doing fine with him up until this government shutdown,” he said. “It’s ridiculous. You’re not getting the wall built for $5 billion. And Mexico is not paying for it, we all know that, too. To him, the shutdown standoff has also poked holes in Trump’s ability to say that he cares for the working class, given that 800,000 federal employees and additional contractors going without a paycheck. Near the pharmacy, Erica McQueen, a 38-year-old from St. Clair Shores, voted for Trump and also has liked a lot of what he’s done. “But it gets overshadowed by the stunts he pulls,” she said. The shutdown, she said, was one of them. “The wall is getting out of hand,” she said. “It’s too much. It’s ridiculous. I’m sick of seeing it, I’m sick of hearing about it.” Like other onetime Trump supporters, she’s now openly wondering if she can back him again. “Something miraculous has to happen,” she said, “for me to vote for him again.”

The longer Trumps government shutdown goes on, the deeper the wooden stake penetrates Trumps reelection plans for 2020. The Republican Party will also pay a hefty price in the next election cycle.

I hope it's true, but I have big doubts about how many working class voters are moving away. I have some anecdotal evidence supporting the idea based on a slow down in far right posts from my dad and uncles on Facebook but that's about it.

mymexico.jpg

The longer Trumps government shutdown goes on, the deeper the wooden stake penetrates Trumps reelection plans for 2020. The Republican Party will also pay a hefty price in the next election cycle.

Trump is counting on both sides being covered with enough filthy crap that they both reek and offend the public. He does not care if his personal layer of feces is three times as thick or that he started it and kept it going. All he cares is that, in the end, enough people will say a pox on both your houses, and then he wins. That is his strategy in pursuing a long shutdown that angers the American people.

mymexico.jpg

Wake me if the bottom falls out of Trumps approval rating...so far that has not happened.

Hasn’t dampened the supporters here, as far as I can tell......

mymexico.jpg

A few people tried to flee from Guyana with Congressman Leo Ryan when they realized what a POS Jim Jones was, too. It didn't help the 900 idiots who were too brainwashed to see it.

No different than this situation. Trump has still managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the less educated who think he's a self made man who actually cares about them.

A small number of Trump's voters, most likely the ones that thought cutting off their nose to spite D.C.'s face was a good idea. I suppose I'm glad they've finally woken up but holy **** was that the wrong 'outsider' to send in.

Trump can't afford to lose 1% of his vote from 2016 in the former blue wall states.

With such things as using Wisconsin farmers as pawns in his trade war, I suspect that before he proudly shut down the government he had already lost that vital 1% here. This is making things worse.

A few people tried to flee from Guyana with Congressman Leo Ryan when they realized what a POS Jim Jones was, too. It didn't help the 900 idiots who were too brainwashed to see it.

No different than this situation. Trump has still managed to pull the wool over the eyes of the less educated who think he's a self made man who actually cares about them.

But it was those few escapees that caused him jones to send armed hitmen to kill the people trying to flee with the Congressman.

"Blame" Trump or credit Trump, it seems that we have plenty of Trump supporters that are okay with what is happening with another set of supporters buying into the hype that this is somehow all Democrats fault.

Fiasco for the history books (and SNL writers) to have fun with.

Recent polling numbers tend to support the notion that Trump has lost most independents, and also the uneducated white males of his base are falling away.

Two years of Trump is a lifetime politically. But Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. As the election window shrinks and Mueller closes in, Trumps behavior can only grow more antagonistic.

As time passes, more and more Americans detect that Trump cares for himself far more than he cares for this country. This will amplify in the months to come.

mymexico.jpg

A few factors affecting Trumps Cult:

1. The gov't shutdown is affecting them in ways they never knew could happen or was possible.
2. People in Trump world do not understand what Rudy Ghouliani is doing or how he's helping
3. Chris Christie is one of the few Republican (RINOS) that everybody respects and he backs up what everybody else was saying about what it's like working for Trump in his book. The book seems to be resonating within certain circles of Trump World.
4. There is deep divide and in-fighting within the cult. (Mike Huckabee better known as Sarah's Dad, Suggested Ann Coulter primary against Trump).
5. Trump is not making good deals/deals conservatives were told they should want for the past 30 years. He is resoundingly NOT making "conservative" deals.
6. Democrats have optimism and energy. Trump has tweets, name-calling, bully tactics, and hate (very predictable at this point)
7. The deep state has not been exposed despite many of Qs promises.
8. His poll numbers are terrible.

mymexico.jpg

I am sure they are all really worried? :lamo
MSM just bloviating again. It means absolutely nothing.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 44% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance.

Next story.... maybe something about a kid smirking at someone?

Uh--------------------no we dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We blame the pig headed egotistical old bag Hillary. She refuses to compromise.

A small number of Trump's voters, most likely the ones that thought cutting off their nose to spite D.C.'s face was a good idea. I suppose I'm glad they've finally woken up but holy **** was that the wrong 'outsider' to send in.

He is the only one who has offered, and beggars cant be choosers.

Mostly this was due to his money, he had the ability to defy the establishment that almost no one else has.

Wake me if the bottom falls out of Trumps approval rating...so far that has not happened.

I know. They just want the liberals to be upset. And Trump is delivering that in spades. So what's there to not approve of? At this point what actually happens to the country or their fellow citizens is a very distant consideration. It's like the little kid that likes to streak across the dining room naked after his bath, just to get a rise out of his parents.

haha.jpg

mymexico.jpg

Why are liberals and moderates concerned with what these people think anymore?

These people fell for Trump and then stood by him through his lies, stood by him through his corruption, stood by through his abusive rhetoric, stood by him through Russia gate and Helsinki, stood by him through his trade war, and on and on its gone.

They've stood by him through all his dysfunction, chaos, incompetence, and debauchery, so I'm not one to care too much at this point what they think anymore. If they vote to undo their damage that's great, but it doesn't change my view of them as being (frankly) weak minded and reckless.

Uh--------------------no we dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We blame the pig headed egotistical old bag Hillary. She refuses to compromise.

Wait, is this supposed to be satire? It's hard to tell anymore.

No, but if the Jim Jones example is anything to go by, those who try to leave the cult often are not exactly treated well by their former cult members

We already know this in the case of the Trump lovers. Look how they attack me because I was too smart to support Trump, just because I was a Republican. Leave the cult and you're persona non grata.

I know. They just want the liberals to be upset. And Trump is delivering that in spades. So what's there to not approve of? At this point what actually happens to the country or their fellow citizens is a very distant consideration. It's like the little kid that likes to streak across the dining room naked after his bath, just to get a rise out of his parents.

View attachment 67248466

The propagandizers are are full of Hubris, even the poorly educated consumers fast get to "Hey, if the story you are telling is true then surely it is represented in Trumps approval rating" , and then they will go check it out.

Sloppy poor quality work is what the FAILED INTELLIGENTSIA! tend to provide however.

View attachment 67248466

Theres only one problem with that dumb theory, other than it being dumb, of course. The country is doing very, very well under Trump. As for your cartoon, the only fires burning are the hair fires on the top of liberals empty heads.

Back
Top Bottom