• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump v Nixon and impeachment.

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Watching a show about impeachment in america and how it's been used. The similarities between Nixon and Trump are eerily alike. Once the story of Watergate began to gain traction, because most people at first laughed it off, Nixon started to attack the press as the enemy. The GOP was up in arms standing behind Nixon these were false allegations, fake news so to speak. Sound familiar? As the investigation by the washington post continued into watergate Nixon told his staff nobody from the post is allowed into the white house, sorta' like Acosta with CNN, sound familiar? Nixon under more and more pressure again blaming the press for making the whole story up called it a witch hunt. Once John Dean talked and of course the president denied what he said, good old butterfield stepped forward and admitted there were tapes and the rest is history.

If an impeachment proceeding were to get started would president trump fight the inevitable subpoenas to come like nixon did?

Yeah I haven't watched anything but I did listen to the bag man by Rachel Maddow podcast and some of the criminality is eerily similar. The defense is eerily similar.
I don't know what Trump will do more so because Trump is not a typical politician. Nixon and Agnew were crooks but I believe they had more respect for the system. I don't see Trump in that light.

Nixon decided "**** it, I will walk away for the good of the nation".

Dont expect that from Trump, but then again unlike Nixon Trump was not allowed so much as one day on the job to prove himself.

Dont expect that from Trump, but then again unlike Nixon Trump was not allowed so much as one day on the job to prove himself.

Trump could have proved himself pretty easily. Too bad he only knows to play to his base who are seemingly gerbils in search of an authoritarian figure to submit to.
Kind of funny since Trump submits to both Coulter and "Nancy". That's gonna leave a mark/scar and a stain.

Trump could have proved himself pretty easily. Too bad he only knows to play to his base who are seemingly gerbils in search of an authoritarian figure to submit to.
Kind of funny since Trump submits to both Coulter and "Nancy". That's gonna leave a mark/scar and a stain.

The opinion on Trump was decided the day after the election for far too many Modern Morons, as you should both know and be willing to be honest about.

The opinion on Trump was decided the day after the election for far too many Modern Morons, as you should both know and be willing to be honest about.

We all decided he was an asshole during the campaign. Most of us actually before that.

We all decided he was an asshole during the campaign. Most of us actually before that.

That Trump was not to be afforded what was till then part of the code of the decent people that once selected a guy is given a chance to do the job, that they will not be failed before trying because that would not be right under the Golden Rule, was decided Nov 9 2016.

As you should know.

That Trump was not to be afforded what was till then part of the code of the decent people that once selected a guy is given a chance to do the job, that they will not be failed before trying because that would not be right under the Golden Rule, was decided Nov 9 2016.

As you should know.

Yes, the lifelong incompetent buffoon just needed a chance...

Watching a show about impeachment in america and how it's been used. The similarities between Nixon and Trump are eerily alike. Once the story of Watergate began to gain traction, because most people at first laughed it off, Nixon started to attack the press as the enemy. The GOP was up in arms standing behind Nixon these were false allegations, fake news so to speak. Sound familiar? As the investigation by the washington post continued into watergate Nixon told his staff nobody from the post is allowed into the white house, sorta' like Acosta with CNN, sound familiar? Nixon under more and more pressure again blaming the press for making the whole story up called it a witch hunt. Once John Dean talked and of course the president denied what he said, good old butterfield stepped forward and admitted there were tapes and the rest is history.

If an impeachment proceeding were to get started would president trump fight the inevitable subpoenas to come like nixon did?

Never mind the fact that Trump attacked the press long before any story of collusion was made or even thought of. :shrug:

There were many of us that said okay we don't like him but he's the president we'll give him a chance to be everyone's president. He chose otherwise.
If he was a good human being you would think he would have thought okay I have to do better and be better I will shock all the naysayers and be a president for the entire country. There are many things he could have done to bring the nation together you know like not get involved in social issues at all, infrastructure, real reform on healthcare, actually doing something about the opioid issue, not just declaring an emergency and forgetting about it.
A lot of stuff.

I cannot believe that so many of you good people are ignoring the fact that MILLIONS of people knew as far back as the 1990's that Trump was a crook with debased morals and an addled mind who had dreams of being a king.

Then, when reality TV came along, and he became a master of the genre, it became crystal clear that the man did not even have the remotest connection to reality at all, at any time, in his personal life or in his political aspirations.
The fatal mistake was the fact that the overwhelming majority of those millions never realized that Trump's powers of distraction were actually strong enough to put an electorate on a dope trip toward a collective hallucination powerful enough to detach them from real life and sober perception.

Sorry, I just cannot let all of that pass.

Yeah I haven't watched anything but I did listen to the bag man by Rachel Maddow podcast and some of the criminality is eerily similar. The defense is eerily similar.
I don't know what Trump will do more so because Trump is not a typical politician. Nixon and Agnew were crooks but I believe they had more respect for the system. I don't see Trump in that light.

I don't either. He will go kicking and screaming. He doesn't care about "the good of the country".

whomp whomp

Red:
LOL Have you in mind some Donald Trump other than the one who's currently POTUS? LOL

H to the E to the LL yes, he would challenge the subpoenas!

tenor.gif

If you really believe Nixon walked away "for the good of the nation," you're intensely gullible.

Nixon walked away because he was caught dead to rights.

If you really believe Nixon walked away "for the good of the nation," you're intensely gullible.

Nixon walked away because he was caught dead to rights.
... and was offered a pardon.

I don't think I've seen a poster unanimously destroy their credibility that quickly, in a very long time.

There were many of us that said okay we don't like him but he's the president we'll give him a chance to be everyone's president. He chose otherwise.
If he was a good human being you would think he would have thought okay I have to do better and be better I will shock all the naysayers and be a president for the entire country. There are many things he could have done to bring the nation together you know like not get involved in social issues at all, infrastructure, real reform on healthcare, actually doing something about the opioid issue, not just declaring an emergency and forgetting about it.
A lot of stuff.

His inability to either personally broker a deal or facilitate an agreement between the House and Senate is as plain as the nose on our faces. I believe what you mentioned above, his failure to bring, or even try to bring the nation together is, the single biggest reason Trump's failing.

No other president that I've ever heard or read about has ever continued his campaign rallies once elected. His, 'make the base happy at all costs, screw everyone' else approach to governing is why his administration is so ineffective.

The Repubs may get a few of their judges confirmed and our allies noses tweaked, but in the long run they'll learn that it's never a good idea to knowingly place an immoral person with no understanding of the world or its history into the most powerful position in the world. Their lesson will cost us all a heavy price...

Never mind the fact that Trump attacked the press long before any story of collusion was made or even thought of. :shrug:

Agreed. Unlike Nixon Trump started immediately. The election is rigged was his first I'm a victim like you stance and then it just progressed from there. Now if anything negative is said about the president his base is right there to defend him.

Back
Top Bottom