• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump tweets spiky, 'beautiful' barrier rendering as border wall funding debate rages

They protect and patrol the border now. The wall will serve to slow illegals down and funnel them to areas that they think they can make entry. The wall will still be monitored. And yes the BP will use technology to AUGMENT the wall. The wall will serve to slow illegals down and while allowing BP to capture illegals. Also I want to see an 9 month pregnant woman climb the wall to have an anchor baby in a Texas border hospital as happens now. Walls work in Israel and other countries and a wall will work here. Will it stop everyone. No but it will stop a lot of them.

Two Chinese nationals we caught after an ultralight aircraft landed and dropped them off in the US recently. The Border Patrol caught them though.

We'll agree to disagree. I'd much rather bolster more scalable border patrol methods and back that up with strict enforcement of existing laws to make it extremely difficult for businesses to continue profiting from cheap labor, thereby significantly reducing the economic opportunities for those seeking to enter the country illegally. I'd also like to see a more efficient system to allow migrant workers so the businesses which rely on them can still have access and those workers can travel back when the work is done. Considering the economic factors that have contributed to reduced immigration, it seems a much more viable option than some sedentary obstacle which you will have to pay to support ad infinitum. And again, walls work in Israel because they also made it difficult for anyone getting over it to settle and find employment.

And how long before "technology" breaks or becomes out dated. And what exactly is "technology" besides a neat buzz word? Who is going to fly the drones who is going to maintain them? When will they wear out and need to be replaced?. What about stormy weather? What about tunnels can drones stop that? What other forms of technology will you use? Technology is a neat word but how exactly is that going to work and for how long is that going to work? How much a year is this going to cost now? A wall has fewer moving parts to break. A wall can be augmented with "technology" but isn't wholly dependent on it. .

And is not worth the money when a fine/reward system is RIGHT THERE.

If nobody will hire them they will stop coming. Go home.

I'm still not sure how all those donors/voters who have kept this from happening for decades are going to allow it now.

They have grown quite dependant on cheap labor and wage depression.

Trump chose this design specifically to refute the argument a border wall would be pointless.

It interesting a few months back the Democrats were will to pony up 25 Billion for a wall and now a wall is immoral.

Just in case you did hold your breath I would not want to see you get anoxic.

Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said Schumer had promised $25 billion for the wall and other border security measures, though not all of that would have been immediate funding. He called Schumer’s withdrawal of the offer “a step backward.”

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/24/cornyn-schumer-offered-25-billion-wall-funding/

The Senate’s No. 2 Democrat, Dick Durbin, asked by a reporter whether Schumer offered Trump $25 billion for the wall in a major concession to the president, did not dispute the figure, but said: “He did it in the context of a negotiation

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-idUSKBN1FC236

Well, could you please get your facts straight, just once? Schumer offered to fund his wall request beyond the 1.6 billion Trump originally requested if he would help the Dreamers. He never offered to give him the entire estimated 25 billion in one fell swoop. But Trump wouldn't do it. In retrospect that seems like a pretty good damn deal now, doesn't it?

Get YOUR facts straight I NEVER said he would give the 25 billion in "one fell swoop" . I only said they offered to give Trump 25 billion for a wall that they now call immoral. I provided quotes from both side to back up what I said . You lose again. :lamo

Oh really? Than just what the **** was this then?

What about that do you not understand? I NEVER said they would pony it up at all in one fell swoop. I only said that they said they would pony the money up. I gave you quotes to prove I was correct. Do you think they were lying and wouldn't pony the money up? Is your comprehension that bad? Can you not read? Don't you ever get tire of losing and making yourself look dumb? :lamo

I can read plain English. Can't you? I don't know about you but what I see is that you said the the democrats were ready to "pony up 25 billion" back in January. Yes or no? Don't you ever get tired of posting dumb stuff and lying about it?

They Democrats were willing to give 25 million for DACA are you saying the Democrats aren't good for their word and are just liars. I realize you are not smart enough to quit when you have been proven wrong in black and white but you should because you are just embarrassing yourself. You just look like you have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader. :roll: Even TU Curmudgeon knew when it was time to cut and run. Seriously stop while you are behind.

And is not worth the money when a fine/reward system is RIGHT THERE.

If nobody will hire them they will stop coming. Go home.

I'm still not sure how all those donors/voters who have kept this from happening for decades are going to allow it now.

They have grown quite dependant on cheap labor and wage depression.
60,000 Americans a year are dying from opioid overdose. Most opioids are smuggled across the border from Mexico. A wall would make drug smuggling more difficult.

They Democrats were willing to give 25 million for DACA are you saying the Democrats aren't good for their word and are just liars. I realize you are not smart enough to quit when you have been proven wrong in black and white but you should because you are just embarrassing yourself. You just look like you have the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader. :roll: Even TU Curmudgeon knew when it was time to cut and run. Seriously stop while you are behind.

Thank you for the links.

However, you do realize that "If you will do X then I will do Y." is NOT the same thing as "I will do Y even if you don't do X." - don't you?

What that means is that your "It interesting a few months back the Democrats were will to pony up 25 Billion for a wall and now a wall is immoral." is only partially correct and does NOT prove the point that you appear to think it does.

If you have any doubts about why the $25Bn is "off the table", then you should probably have read far enough into your linked Reuters article (of January 2018) to have hit the

A day after the end of a government shutdown linked to wrangling over immigration, Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer said he pulled the offer because of what he said was Trump’s failure to follow through on the outlines of an agreement the two men discussed on Friday.

bit.

BTW, did you happen to notice that what was offered was an "authorization" and NOT "funding"? You do know the difference, don't you? [HINT - An "authorization" means (essentially) "You can spend $X.xx IF YOU CAN FIND IT on Y." while "funding" means (essentially) "You know that $X.xx you have approval to spend? Well here's the money.". To put that into terms that you can possibly understand an "authorization" is like your wife telling you that it's OK for you to by "Bambi Boffs the Team" when you don't have a dime in your pockets and "funding" is like your wife giving you the money to buy "Bambi Boffs the Team".

Trump chose this design specifically to refute the argument a border wall would be pointless.

:lamo

I think he should have really doubled down and gone for maximum impact:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-25-at-3.50.59-PM.jpg

If Trump is seeking to create a physical barrier across the US/Mexico border then the issue of technology and personnel costs is a very relevant one. If walls aren't surveilled and you don't have the personnel to promptly respond to potential breaches, then people have the time to get over walls; especially if assisted by people smugglers with the right equipment. In areas like San Diego, they built a fence but also ramped up the BP so they can apprehend people quickly. This is a much bigger challenge across almost 2,000 miles. This is why I've been asking about the cost because the current assumption seems to be that a wall will be enough, but in places where they have been successful one finds that its been a combination of barrier, personnel, technology, and policy change that helps keep people out. None of that I've seen mentioned by this administration with any kind of detail.
Nobody is trying to build 2,000 miles of wall. Less than half that.

60,000 Americans a year are dying from opioid overdose. Most opioids are smuggled across the border from Mexico. A wall would make drug smuggling more difficult.

Around 47% of the opioid deaths are caused by the misuse of prescribed medications (which means that they came from your friendly neighbourhood drug store).

The major point of entry for Heroin and related drugs in the US Northeast and NOT across the US/Mexican border.

The major source of fentanyl is China (at least the high quality stuff comes from there) and it is imported via the USPS and/or other commercial carriers so that it enters the US through West Coast points of entry.

LINK

Putting up a wall along the American East and West coasts will do more to stop the smuggling of opioids than a wall along the Mexican border will.

Nobody is trying to build 2,000 miles of wall. Less than half that.

I think the number Trump gave was about 1,000 and he said natural borders will take care of the rest or something like that. The entire border is almost 2,000 miles, though and one never knows what will tickle his fancy to shore up next along that border.

I think the number Trump gave was about 1,000 and he said natural borders will take care of the rest or something like that. The entire border is almost 2,000 miles, though and one never knows what will tickle his fancy to shore up next along that border.
Yes, all we know is that the party of $80 billion dollar desert trains and $800 billion dollar pork bills won't spend $5 billion to repair, replace and reinforce our border infrastructure.

Jesus. Where to start...

Never mind. You're gonna KMA before I respond to you again, you loudmouthed blowhard. Take your juvenile schoolyard crap and stick it where it won't get rained on.

That is what you get for allowing yourself to be trolled.

Back
Top Bottom