• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump tweets spiky, 'beautiful' barrier rendering as border wall funding debate rages

It interesting a few months back the Democrats were will to pony up 25 Billion for a wall and now a wall is immoral.

The most recent numbers indicate 42% of illegal aliens are visa overstays.

Back in the days of migrant labor we didn’t have a massive central welfare state, we didn’t have mandates that emergency rooms provide uncompensated care, etc. They’re bringing their families in part because of generous social welfare policies that benefit the family members and because there’s family links in many cases in the US and a lack of political will to enforce the law.

Mexicans can get on a plane and fly to Canada or the UK or Spain and can enter without a visa, why don’t they overstay and live illegally there? Because those countries would remove them and exclude them from benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should know, we should have systems in place so that we know when visa holders come and we know when they go, and when they dont go we need to be able to go find them which should not be hard because most of them are working. This is another case of our systems being of low quality, though in this case it is not because of neglect it is because power does not want to know.....and does not want us to know.

The most recent numbers indicate 42% of illegal aliens are visa overstays.

Back in the days of migrant labor we didn’t have a massive central welfare state, we didn’t have mandates that emergency rooms provide uncompensated care, etc. They’re bringing their families in part because of generous social welfare policies that benefit the family members and because there’s family links in many cases in the US and a lack of political will to enforce the law.

Mexicans can get on a plane and fly to Canada or the UK or Spain and can enter without a visa, why don’t they overstay and live illegally there? Because those countries would remove them and exclude them from benefits.

I'm outa here for awhile.
I've read that illegal border crossing apprehensions have plummeted dramatically in the past decade. If illegal immigration is still such a big problem they must be coming another route.
Later.

Only if they are really stupid. You do realize that about 400 people a year die illegally crossing now.

If stupidity necessitated a death sentence, 30% of our population would be insta-gibbed. Please.

It's a stupid idea for a "wall", and the wall itself is a stupid idea. Which is consistent with president-Stupid.

someone brought up a bill related to this topic as an argument against the wall, catch up!

Since I brought up the topic, I will make this as simple as I can. My point wasn't about the wall itself or the Vietnam war itself. It was about priorities THIS YEAR. It was about wanting to shell out 5 billion bucks to satisfy someone's ego, while not being willing to spend ONE TENTH OF ONE PERCENT of that amount to support our troops. This doesn't exist in the past. The vote to build a wall that won't work, as well as the vote to kick our veterans to the curb, happened in the here and now.

It interesting a few months back the Democrats were will to pony up 25 Billion for a wall and now a wall is immoral.

Now that's really interesting.

I trust that you are going to post the link to that astounding fact that you accidentally forgot to include in Post #76.

I'm not going to be holding my breath.

I'm outa here for awhile.
I've read that illegal border crossing apprehensions have plummeted dramatically in the past decade. If illegal immigration is still such a big problem they must be coming another route.
Later.
62,000 were apprehended in November 2018 most were on the Mexico border. And we have to think many must have got in without detection.

Now that's really interesting.

I trust that you are going to post the link to that astounding fact that you accidentally forgot to include in Post #76.

I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Just in case you did hold your breath I would not want to see you get anoxic.

Cornyn, the No. 2 Senate Republican, said Schumer had promised $25 billion for the wall and other border security measures, though not all of that would have been immediate funding. He called Schumer’s withdrawal of the offer “a step backward.”

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/24/cornyn-schumer-offered-25-billion-wall-funding/

The Senate’s No. 2 Democrat, Dick Durbin, asked by a reporter whether Schumer offered Trump $25 billion for the wall in a major concession to the president, did not dispute the figure, but said: “He did it in the context of a negotiation.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-idUSKBN1FC236

:lamo

When I first saw this I thought it was something from The Onion. Based on that image it just looks like a bunch of long metal spikes. Is it me, or am I the only one not finding the beauty in that? Oh, and seriously folks....how are you going to let the POTUS tweet something that looks like a 5th grade project in Paint? Come on guys, I know most folks have left the WH but aim higher!

Two words:

Disc grinder.

I'm sure you "think" you could. Why don't you try it. Then you can write us from prison and let us know how it work out for you. :lol:

All those bodies, all those cameras constantly monitored.

How much per year is THAT gonna coat?

And how much would a fine/reward system for employers cost again? Oh yeah. Next to nothing.

How many years before your "barrier" is complete enough to do any good?

How many days before the aforementioned fine/reward system could be started?

Your boy got you pumped up about a wall. As Bannon knew he would. The deep state and drain the swamp thing too.

Playing y'all like a fiddle.

Schumer is a complete phony, a demagogue.

Brace yourself... Chuckie the clown was for the border before he became against it. How does that happen? :lol:

Schumer reminds me of Ebenezer Scrooge :lol:

Hot air .com. ? :lamo How appropriate. Right up you alley!
That's the best you can do? :lol: Reuters was the second citation. I just wanted to show the Republicans and the Democrats had the same story.

That's the best you can do? :lol: Reuters was the second citation. I just wanted to show the Republicans and the Democrats had the same story.

Yep, the same :bs story!

It's all politics...None of them care a lick about what's best for the country. It's all about keeping or attaining power.

All those bodies, all those cameras constantly monitored.

How much per year is THAT gonna coat?

And how much would a fine/reward system for employers cost again? Oh yeah. Next to nothing.

How many years before your "barrier" is complete enough to do any good?

How many days before the aforementioned fine/reward system could be started?

Your boy got you pumped up about a wall. As Bannon knew he would. The deep state and drain the swamp thing too.

Playing y'all like a fiddle.
And how long before "technology" breaks or becomes out dated. And what exactly is "technology" besides a neat buzz word? Who is going to fly the drones who is going to maintain them? When will they wear out and need to be replaced?. What about stormy weather? What about tunnels can drones stop that? What other forms of technology will you use? Technology is a neat word but how exactly is that going to work and for how long is that going to work? How much a year is this going to cost now? A wall has fewer moving parts to break. A wall can be augmented with "technology" but isn't wholly dependent on it. .

Last edited:

Well, could you please get your facts straight, just once? Schumer offered to fund his wall request beyond the 1.6 billion Trump originally requested if he would help the Dreamers. He never offered to give him the entire estimated 25 billion in one fell swoop. But Trump wouldn't do it. In retrospect that seems like a pretty good damn deal now, doesn't it?

Well, could you please get your facts straight, just once? Schumer offered to fund his wall request beyond the 1.6 billion Trump originally requested if he would help the Dreamers. He never offered to give him the entire estimated 25 billion in one fell swoop. But Trump wouldn't do it. In retrospect that seems like a pretty good damn deal now, doesn't it?
Get YOUR facts straight I NEVER said he would give the 25 billion in "one fell swoop" . I only said they offered to give Trump 25 billion for a wall that they now call immoral. I provided quotes from both side to back up what I said . You lose again. :lamo

And how long before "technology" breaks or becomes out dated. And what exactly is "technology" besides a neat buzz word? Who is going to fly the drones who is going to maintain them? When will they wear out and need to be replaced?. What about stormy weather? What about tunnels can drones stop that? What other forms of technology will you use? Technology is a neat word but how exactly is that going to work and for how long is that going to work? How much a year is this going to cost now? A wall has fewer moving parts to break. A wall can be augmented with "technology" but isn't wholly dependent on it. .

If Trump is seeking to create a physical barrier across the US/Mexico border then the issue of technology and personnel costs is a very relevant one. If walls aren't surveilled and you don't have the personnel to promptly respond to potential breaches, then people have the time to get over walls; especially if assisted by people smugglers with the right equipment. In areas like San Diego, they built a fence but also ramped up the BP so they can apprehend people quickly. This is a much bigger challenge across almost 2,000 miles. This is why I've been asking about the cost because the current assumption seems to be that a wall will be enough, but in places where they have been successful one finds that its been a combination of barrier, personnel, technology, and policy change that helps keep people out. None of that I've seen mentioned by this administration with any kind of detail.

:lamo

When I first saw this I thought it was something from The Onion. Based on that image it just looks like a bunch of long metal spikes. Is it me, or am I the only one not finding the beauty in that? Oh, and seriously folks....how are you going to let the POTUS tweet something that looks like a 5th grade project in Paint? Come on guys, I know most folks have left the WH but aim higher!

From Twitter:

Du-XBIiWkAEFvc1.jpg

Get YOUR facts straight I NEVER said he would give the 25 billion in "one fell swoop" . I only said they offered to give Trump 25 billion for a wall that they now call immoral. I provided quotes from both side to back up what I said . You lose again. :lamo

Oh really? Than just what the **** was this then?

If Trump is seeking to create a physical barrier across the US/Mexico border then the issue of technology and personnel costs is a very relevant one. If walls aren't surveilled and you don't have the personnel to promptly respond to potential breaches, then people have the time to get over walls; especially if assisted by people smugglers with the right equipment. In areas like San Diego, they built a fence but also ramped up the BP so they can apprehend people quickly. This is a much bigger challenge across almost 2,000 miles. This is why I've been asking about the cost because the current assumption seems to be that a wall will be enough, but in places where they have been successful one finds that its been a combination of barrier, personnel, technology, and policy change that helps keep people out. None of that I've seen mentioned by this administration with any kind of detail.
They protect and patrol the border now. The wall will serve to slow illegals down and funnel them to areas that they think they can make entry. The wall will still be monitored. And yes the BP will use technology to AUGMENT the wall. The wall will serve to slow illegals down and while allowing BP to capture illegals. Also I want to see an 9 month pregnant woman climb the wall to have an anchor baby in a Texas border hospital as happens now. Walls work in Israel and other countries and a wall will work here. Will it stop everyone. No but it will stop a lot of them.

Two Chinese nationals we caught after an ultralight aircraft landed and dropped them off in the US recently. The Border Patrol caught them though.

Last edited:
Oh really? Than just what the **** was this then?
What about that do you not understand? I NEVER said they would pony it up at all in one fell swoop. I only said that they said they would pony the money up. I gave you quotes to prove I was correct. Do you think they were lying and wouldn't pony the money up? Is your comprehension that bad? Can you not read? Don't you ever get tire of losing and making yourself look dumb? :lamo

What about that do you not understand? I NEVER said they would pony it up at all in one fell swoop. I only said that they said they would pony the money up. I gave you quotes to prove I was correct. Do you think they were lying and wouldn't pony the money up? Is your comprehension that bad? Can you not read? Don't you ever get tire of losing and making yourself look dumb? :lamo

I can read plain English. Can't you? I don't know about you but what I see is that you said the the democrats were ready to "pony up 25 billion" back in January. Yes or no? Don't you ever get tired of posting dumb stuff and lying about it?

Back
Top Bottom