• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump to Woodward: "I have built a nuclear weapons system"

it was worth it no matter how many Japs died.

I like to explain it this way. Is there any scenario where you think it would be justifiable to lock a bunch of Japanese children in a room and burn them alive? Well, the atomic bomb burned thousands of children alive. There is no justification for using such weapons.

I like to explain it this way. Is there any scenario where you think it would be justifiable to lock a bunch of Japanese children in a room and burn them alive? Well, the atomic bomb burned thousands of children alive. There is no justification for using such weapons.

i see it quite differently
japan refused to surrender only after TWO nuclear weapons had been deployed against its people
had the government acknowledged defeat after detonation of the hiroshima device, then one could have made an argument that we utilized excessive force to extract a surrender
but it took a second device at nagasaki to convince the japanese leaders they were fighting a war they could not win
that exposes the commitment the japanese leaders had to sustain a fight against the allied forces
US forces likely would have sustained extremely heavy losses in a conventional assault on the japanese homeland - but for Little Boy and Fat Man eliminating the need to invade
during my almost 4 years among the japanese people when i was a teen, there were few who acknowledged resenting the way we ended the war. it was not an infrequent topic in the 60s

The US was looking at millions of US casualties if we ended up invading Japan's home islands.

Better a few hundred thousand or millions of them dead via ALL US bombing than 1 million+ US injured and dead.

Japan started the war. Not the US.

Don't you think the 3,000+ that died at Pearl Harbor suffered greatly?

What about the Bataan death march - tens of thousands dead because of the brutality of the Japs.

Back
Top Bottom