• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump to nominate former coal lobbyist Andrew Wheeler as next EPA administrator

Natural gas. Extremely effective as a cleaner alternative for Mass transit buses and a lot cheaper.

Interesting, I didn't even mention buses. Many cities have already gone to Natural Gas buses - probably a lot of those on those pollution lists. But since you're saying that's where the problem lies, cite your evidence.

I say that the problem, in order are 1. Diesel Trucks, 2. Cars. BTW - I have researched this recently. But if you tell me I'm wrong, I'll accept the challenge, and do the study again.

Really. https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_current_mayors_of_the_top_100_cities_in_the_United_States

Top 100 by population, 26 R. Extrapolate. Your need for me to back up something that is easy to examine is stupid and designed to waste my time, quit trying to waste my damn time.

You're right - I don't really care. Party means much less at the Mayoral level. As a matter-of-fact, I glanced at your list, and I saw the word STRONG behind many mayors from both Parties.

To be fair to Trump he didn't know this clown from a bar of soap a week ago: he nominates whoever the GOP put forward at the time and at the moment it's the kind of indctry lobbyists who they're paid to submit by the donors. He doesn't believe in Big Coal, but it'll do for now. That the left doesn't like it will be icing on the cake for him, but he doesn't really know whey it has to be this guy now.

To be fair to Trump he didn't know this clown from a bar of soap a week ago: he nominates whoever the GOP put forward at the time and at the moment it's the kind of indctry lobbyists who they're paid to submit by the donors. He doesn't believe in Big Coal, but it'll do for now. That the left doesn't like it will be icing on the cake for him, but he doesn't really know whey it has to be this guy now.

"Doesn't believe in big coal" --- Is that why Trump paraded all the Coal executives, and employees in front of the EPA Administrators, and publicly admonished the EPA for "taking away their jobs".

Interesting, I didn't even mention buses. Many cities have already gone to Natural Gas buses - probably a lot of those on those pollution lists. But since you're saying that's where the problem lies, cite your evidence.

I say that the problem, in order are 1. Diesel Trucks, 2. Cars. BTW - I have researched this recently. But if you tell me I'm wrong, I'll accept the challenge, and do the study again.

You reduce car pollution through mass transit. The only way to reduce diesel traffic is isolate industrial areas away from the city center and even that isn't effective unless there is only one direction into the industrial zone.

Dying coal industry............ like President Trump getting the Chinese to loose their middle man statues and giving their profits to the Ukraine and the Lackawanna coal mines.

A freakin' coal lobbyist. More billionaire & corporate take-over of our government!

:doh

You mean to say that he's in favor of mining 'big beautiful clean coal' that doesn't contaminate our atmosphere and add to global warming? Why am I not surprised? Well, I guess they figure that as long as they're committed to corporate greed over the contamination of air, water and the ecology, they may as well do it to the max and finish us off entirely as a result.

You fine the cities for not meeting EPA standards and link it to a mass transit action plan to lower emissions.

John Coequyt, global climate policy director for the Sierra Club."The only thing that’s ‘totally wrong’ with common sense limits on toxic air pollution is that Donald Trump, Bill Wehrum, and Andrew Wheeler don’t believe they should exist."

* In December, then-EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt issued a memo reducing the chances an energy plant will have to abide by stricter air quality standards if it initially miscalculates its future pollutant emissions.

* In January, Pruitt issued a memo in January repealing a Clinton-era policy known as “once in, always in." The change means industrial facilities deemed "major" sources of air pollution can once again be reclassified as "minor" polluters and, therefor, able to escape tough clean air regulations.

* In April, President Trump issued a directive, instructing the EPA to work with states that have metro areas which fail to attain clean air standards by giving them additional "flexibility" to meet them. The president's primary aim, the directive states, is "promoting domestic manufacturing and job creation."

* And within days, the administration is expected to formally lay out a plan revisiting strict fuel-economy standards for American light trucks and cars that had been set in motion under President Barack Obama. Environmentalists believe the plan will call at the very least for a lowering of the standard, which calls for yearly increases in fuel efficiency until it hits 54.5 mpg by the end of 2025.

p.s. Coal is NOT clean. Ask any family member in Pennsylvania or W. Virginia how many men in their families have died of black lung disease.

Another snake for the Trump swamp.

I do think its good, however, that the government is stepping up to help transition workers from a dying industry with no future to other meaningful jobs. ;)

Well since Trump is eliminating regulation the industry is no longer “dying” in fact it was only dying because of usurped authority by the EPA, so that’s a bad argument.

You reduce car pollution through mass transit. The only way to reduce diesel traffic is isolate industrial areas away from the city center and even that isn't effective unless there is only one direction into the industrial zone.

Agree with statements, with some additions. You can also reduce car pollution with electric cars. If the electricity is generated from renewables or natural gas, there is very little pollution. If coal, there is more pollution, but power plants usually aren't located near the cities.

Diverting diesel from city centers is a good idea, but often impractical. Truckers spend nights in motels, which are often in city centers. Deliveries are required in city centers, where most shopping takes place.

Diesel technology is improving drastically. Here is a very detailed EPA article, with just a very small portion snipped:

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe...ackDesc=Results page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=5

diesel_emissions_EPA.JPG

One other thing to note about diesel. When efficient diesel trucks are being driven on the highway, they emit much less particulate pollution. In the city, just the opposite is true. And I already mentioned some of the inpracticalities of diversion of diesel vehicles from cities.

I believe a "Mass Retrofit" is the best solution. The politics of implementing that - I'm not a politician, so I'll leave that to others...

"Doesn't believe in big coal" --- Is that why Trump paraded all the Coal executives, and employees in front of the EPA Administrators, and publicly admonished the EPA for "taking away their jobs".

Frankly I don't think he believes in anything - except winning. The GOP donors are big coal; saving the mines and miners' jobs plays well with the rural and blue-collar base and he doesn't care about the environment, so it made for a convenient prop. But being a believer in coal? He barely knows what it does.

Well since Trump is eliminating regulation the industry is no longer “dying” in fact it was only dying because of usurped authority by the EPA, so that’s a bad argument.

There are a number of reasons behind the demise of the U.S. coal industry, but the biggest factor is displacement of coal by natural gas in the power generation sector, it is not because of 'usurped authority by the EPA', that's just not true. By turning the clock back on American energy policy by reversing the Clean Power Plan will end up making electricity for everyday Americans more expensive. And as power bills rise so will the coal industry’s harmful impacts on public health and the environment. The transition from the age of oil to the age of renewables has been hijacked by an obsession over coal.

The problem is that "clean coal" does not and never has existed. Yet this falsehood is part of a larger and even more pernicious myth: That coal jobs can return.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...ing-epa-chief-wheeler-for-senate-confirmation

President Trump said he plans to nominate Andrew Wheeler, acting head of the Environmental Protection Agency, to be the EPA's Senate-confirmed administrator.

Trump made the announcement Friday during a White House ceremony for Medal of Honor recipients.

He said Wheeler “is going to be made permanent,” adding that “he’s done a fantastic job and I want to congratulate him.”
==========================================
At least this guy is familiar with the dying coal industry.

Good for Trump. What a breath of fresh air after having to endure so many years of corruption in the EPA, like that of its global warming head, John Beale.

There are a number of reasons behind the demise of the U.S. coal industry, but the biggest factor is displacement of coal by natural gas in the power generation sector, it is not because of 'usurped authority by the EPA', that's just not true. By turning the clock back on American energy policy by reversing the Clean Power Plan will end up making electricity for everyday Americans more expensive. And as power bills rise so will the coal industry’s harmful impacts on public health and the environment. The transition from the age of oil to the age of renewables has been hijacked by an obsession over coal.

The problem is that "clean coal" does not and never has existed. Yet this falsehood is part of a larger and even more pernicious myth: That coal jobs can return.

If coal is dying anyway then no regulation or clean energy standards are necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-e...ing-epa-chief-wheeler-for-senate-confirmation

President Trump said he plans to nominate Andrew Wheeler, acting head of the Environmental Protection Agency, to be the EPA's Senate-confirmed administrator.

Trump made the announcement Friday during a White House ceremony for Medal of Honor recipients.

He said Wheeler “is going to be made permanent,” adding that “he’s done a fantastic job and I want to congratulate him.”
==========================================
At least this guy is familiar with the dying coal industry.

This is nothing.
I am waiting for him to appoint Joe Arpio as ICE director.
The political brawls would be worth the price of admission.

A freakin' coal lobbyist. More billionaire & corporate take-over of our government!

:doh

When were they ever NOT in power and controlling everything?
I can't think of even once when billionaires were not picking who would be president and paying candidates to vote the way they want.
Maybe in the first 50 years of the country.

Trump making these "middle finger" gestures to the left is one of his redeeming qualities.

It’s not at all surprising that republicans will support literally anything as long as liberals are against it. Bone cancer in babies? I hear liberals are mad about that. Let’s make sure as many babies get bone cancer as possible.

Good for Trump. What a breath of fresh air after having to endure so many years of corruption in the EPA, like that of its global warming head, John Beale.

Breath of coal-polluted air, actually.

If coal is dying anyway then no regulation or clean energy standards are necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be true if coal was completely dead which it won't be.

And the other cities have Republican mayors. So they should ALL be fined.
I know this doesn't make sense to you, but it doesn't matter who is running the city. Neither side is living up to its stewardship according to current EPA guidelines. So it doesn't much matter who is running the show, they both suck at it.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Breath of coal-polluted air, actually.

Leftists don't care that green energy is so expensive and inefficient, they want poor people to pay the extra costs associated with satisfying liberal dreams of a future environment without the waste products that come from industrialization.

Back
Top Bottom