• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump to approve railroad permit to connect Alaska with the lower-48

The current estimate for the project is $22 billion.

While I voted for Sen. Cruz in 2016, I have to say that Trump has done a great deal for Alaska. From the Department of the Interior changing Mount McKinley back to its original name, Denali, to opening the 1002 Area of ANWR. Which is something Alaska has been striving to accomplish for decades. Now this.

it is 2020, why are we building a railroad anywhere?

View on line. Modern Marvels, engineering disasters, on History channel....or YouTUbe videos, google these words. A LOT of engineering projects fail and many engineers knew the projects were risky. Permafrost is a big issue and hardly any engineers are knowledgeable on the topic. Google Bethel, Alaska. Even St. George, Utah's airport had major problems building and then re-building one of their runways. This is no small issue. My posts are general, not personally challenging previous posters. No one will need to buy new panties.
Permafrost is indeed an issue in Alaska, and not just for major engineering projects either.

The trans-Alaska pipeline dealt with permafrost by making the supports that hold up the pipeline into a heat-exchanger called thermosyphons. It helps ensure the permafrost remains frozen by transferring the heat.

Pipeline.jpg

The entire pipeline would have been built above ground, but Congress insisted that sections be buried "in order to allow caribou to cross." Which was a complete waste of time and money. The caribou cross anywhere they please. They will also use the pipeline to warm up in the Winter, and hide from hunters in August. It is illegal to hunt within a mile of the pipeline.

I wouldn't believe a damn thing from Trump until I saw it. Then, I'd look twice. And that goes in spades heading into the election. We've heard of his wall, of Mexico paying, and of his health plan. We're still waiting ...
Dems blocked a bill in Senate today guaranteeing pre-existing condition coverage. But it's all Trump, right?

The current estimate for the project is $22 billion.

While I voted for Sen. Cruz in 2016, I have to say that Trump has done a great deal for Alaska. From the Department of the Interior changing Mount McKinley back to its original name, Denali, to opening the 1002 Area of ANWR. Which is something Alaska has been striving to accomplish for decades. Now this.
I'd buy a ticket on that train!!

Of course. I know the US and Canada have been talking about it since the 1990s. However, talks didn't get serious until 2010. The US is also talking with Russia about a railroad from Alaska to Siberia, under the Bering Sea. You might be able to travel from Miami, FL to London, England entirely by train one day.
That would be friggin' awesome.

Dems blocked a bill in Senate today guaranteeing pre-existing condition coverage. But it's all Trump, right?

The Democrats already guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions (every Republican voted against doing so). It's called the Affordable Care Act.

The GOP is asking the SCOTUS to repeal the ACA for them and bring back pre-existing conditions. Schumer forced a vote today to make Trump's DOJ withdraw from that suit. The GOP blocked the measure.

The Democrats already guaranteed coverage for pre-existing conditions (every Republican voted against doing so). It's called the Affordable Care Act.

The GOP is asking the SCOTUS to repeal the ACA for them and bring back pre-existing conditions. Schumer forced a vote today to make Trump's DOJ withdraw from that suit. The GOP blocked the measure.
So what? Schumer tried a trick and got slapped down. Under this bill pre-existing coverage continues regardless of ACA fate.

Because it is more economical than using barges.

If government pays for the rails and maintenance, sure.

It's old technology moving yesterday goods.

If government pays for the rails and maintenance, sure.

It's old technology moving yesterday goods.
I have no doubt that both the State and federal government will be involved with both funding and regulations concerning the construction of the railroad from Fairbanks to the Canadian border just east of Tok. However, after that it becomes a Canadian project and is largely privately funded.

Check out the owner/managers of the A2A: https://a2arail.com/

I know the benefit Alaska gets from such a project, but I'm not sure what Canada gets from it. They already have the ports at Vancouver and Prince Rupert. They do not need to ship anything to the Alaska port in Whittier. We also do not need to ship any oil via rail. We already have a pipeline that is currently only 25% of capacity, and we have the oil terminal in Valdez. The Alberta heavy oil sands are also considerably different from Alaska's oil with its high sulfur content. So what benefit is Canada getting from this deal?

Not only will Alaska be able to obtain bulk goods cheaper and faster by rail, we would also be able to ship our coal, lead, and zinc to Canada and the lower-48. So it is a great thing for Alaska, with benefits for the lower-48, but not much for Canada.

Have you considered providing a link?

And I guess if I wanted to argue to the nth degree, I'd point-out my latter Thursday trumps your earlier Wednesday ...
I'm trying to keep a railroad link to Alaska thread from become yet another "Trump . . ." thread. 😁

I apologize but I'm not seeing your point? The history channel used to be my favorite viewing spot and I'm quite familiar with modern marvels. I don't see what that has to do with drilling in a national wildlife refuge?
When you get enough engineers together with businessmen and politicians, they need to come up with plans to get "their share". They will turn blind eyes to potential disasters that don't affect them negatively. I worked at several engineering projects and even got challenged by some of them. I chose my battles carefully, never got in too much hot water. Makes me wonder how a guy can call himself an engineer when he knowingly uses shortcuts just to look good to bosses who aren't even engineers.

Permafrost is indeed an issue in Alaska, and not just for major engineering projects either.

The trans-Alaska pipeline dealt with permafrost by making the supports that hold up the pipeline into a heat-exchanger called thermosyphons. It helps ensure the permafrost remains frozen by transferring the heat.

View attachment 67297412

The entire pipeline would have been built above ground, but Congress insisted that sections be buried "in order to allow caribou to cross." Which was a complete waste of time and money. The caribou cross anywhere they please. They will also use the pipeline to warm up in the Winter, and hide from hunters in August. It is illegal to hunt within a mile of the pipeline.
Animals aren't stoopid..:)

When you get enough engineers together with businessmen and politicians, they need to come up with plans to get "their share". They will turn blind eyes to potential disasters that don't affect them negatively. I worked at several engineering projects and even got challenged by some of them. I chose my battles carefully, never got in too much hot water. Makes me wonder how a guy can call himself an engineer when he knowingly uses shortcuts just to look good to bosses who aren't even engineers.
To get their share. Money honey, that's what it's all about for most people. We launched the shuttle when the o rings were damaged and nasa knew it. We all know the result of that launch. Money and pressure from higher ups to meet the deadline.

There is a difference. Trump's promise of building a wall depended entirely on congressional funding. Trump's promise to sign the permit only requires his signature. Just like he signed the Keystone pipeline project, after Obama refused. Trump's past actions concerning Alaska also leads me to believe that he will sign the permit.

Trump's promise of building his "big beautiful wall" at our southern border depended upon only one thing, MEXICO paying for it, as he promised ad nauseam.

Congress had nothing to do with him getting that promise accomplished, which he has totally failed at doing.

Perhaps there has been about 16 to 20 miles of brand new wall aka bollard style steel fencing constructed where no barrier had ever existed before that Donny Dip Stick can claim as his, but still not on inch of it has been paid for by MEXICO, as he promised ad nauseam.

So he signed a piece of paper?

Woo Hoo!

He also signed the Permanent Tax Cuts for the rich which has totally failed to deliver on his promise that it would easily pay for itself. Quite the opposite is true.

Why would we need a railway from Alaska to the lower 48?

Yay! Donny Dip Stick signed off on the Keystone Pipeline!

Trump's promise of building his "big beautiful wall" at our southern border depended upon only one thing, MEXICO paying for it, as he promised ad nauseam.

Congress had nothing to do with him getting that promise accomplished, which he has totally failed at doing.

Perhaps there has been about 16 to 20 miles of brand new wall aka bollard style steel fencing constructed where no barrier had ever existed before that Donny Dip Stick can claim as his, but still not on inch of it has been paid for by MEXICO, as he promised ad nauseam.

So he signed a piece of paper?

Woo Hoo!

He also signed the Permanent Tax Cuts for the rich which has totally failed to deliver on his promise that it would easily pay for itself. Quite the opposite is true.

Why would we need a railway from Alaska to the lower 48?

Yay! Donny Dip Stick signed off on the Keystone Pipeline!

Your Trump Derangement Syndrome is noted.

Back
Top Bottom