• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms after Twitter labels his tweets

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms after Twitter labels his tweets - CNNPolitics

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump on Wednesday threatened to "strongly regulate" or even shut down social media platforms after Twitter applied a fact-check to two of his tweets this week.

Trump did not elaborate on what actions he could take. But the threat is Trump's clearest expression of intent to use the power of government to target his perceived political enemies in the private sector -- businesses that already enjoy wide latitude under the law to moderate their platforms as they see fit. And it raises the stakes for Twitter and Facebook as they grapple with Trump's misleading claims about mail-in voting and his baseless insinuations that a cable TV news host had a hand in an aide's death decades ago.

It all started a week ago with Trump's tweet:

W9OO0EO.png

Now, there are things here objectively wrong.
1) Trump's original tweet claimed absentee ballots were sent. It was actually ballot applications. He since corrected that.
2) It was not illegal to do so.
3) No authorization from the president is required to do this.

Later, we run into this:
U8KzdfQ.png

Twitter put a fact check link on his mail-in ballot claims. Here, he's claiming everyone living in the state gets one. That's false. The ballots are being sent to registered voters.

Furthermore, the idea that this leads to "massive voter fraud" is completely false. Absentee ballots have been around for ages. Trump himself voted by mail, but wants to deny you the opportunity to do so.

Trump has lost his **** at being fact-checked by Twitter. So much so that he's gone on an unhinged rant about censorship, the first amendment, etc. He's even threatened to "regulate or even shut down" social media sites. Naturally, we'll see conservatives in this thread defend this.

7ucGttO.png

DhMmtM9.png

The man is psychotic. I challenge any conservative here to go to Trump's twitter feed and read just one week of Trump's tweets. (in getting these screenshots, the sheer volume of the deranged posting left me shocked. I normally only see bits and pieces because I don't go to twitter directly)
DhMmtM9.png

That's right folks. You're stifling free speech if you post a fact-check link that disagrees with the president!

How can Trump expect to win in November if he can't spread disinformation?

Trump threatens to crack down on social media platforms after Twitter labels his tweets - CNNPolitics

W9OO0EO.png

1) Trump's original tweet claimed absentee ballots were sent. It was actually ballot applications. He since corrected that.
3) No authorization from the president is required to do this.

Later, we run into this:
U8KzdfQ.png

Twitter put a fact check link on his mail-in ballot claims. Here, he's claiming everyone living in the state gets one. That's false. The ballots are being sent to registered voters.

Furthermore, the idea that this leads to "massive voter fraud" is completely false. Absentee ballots have been around for ages. Trump himself voted by mail, but wants to deny you the opportunity to do so.

Trump has lost his **** at being fact-checked by Twitter. So much so that he's gone on an unhinged rant about censorship, the first amendment, etc. He's even threatened to "regulate or even shut down" social media sites. Naturally, we'll see conservatives in this thread defend this.

7ucGttO.png

DhMmtM9.png

The man is psychotic. I challenge any conservative here to go to Trump's twitter feed and read just one week of Trump's tweets. (in getting these screenshots, the sheer volume of the deranged posting left me shocked. I normally only see bits and pieces because I don't go to twitter directly)
DhMmtM9.png

That's right folks. You're stifling free speech if you post a fact-check link that disagrees with the president!

He should be careful, Twitter does not actually have to give a reason to cancel your account. He has threatened this before but did not push it, if he does they Will cancel his account and rightly so.

Twitter is a private company, this has nothing to do with 'free speech'.. The government getting involved against Twitter would be against anything and everything Conservatives USE to stand for and care about..

But the idiot in chief and his deplorables no longer care anymore because the Republican Party has become the party of fascists and racists. They hate Democracy and the Free Market.

knowing that there are so many people who can be so easily duped by a waterhead is unnerving to say the least. that will be hard to get past in coming years. i hope that we as a nation finally realize how important it is to educate kids as much as possible so that they are better able to say "man, that dude is a ****ing waterhead. get the **** out of here with that stupid bull****."

Please, Mr. President, keep this up, have your twitter account shut down, and then lose the election.

Twitter is a private company, this has nothing to do with 'free speech'.. The government getting involved against Twitter would be against anything and everything Conservatives USE to stand for and care about..

But the idiot in chief and his deplorables no longer care anymore because the Republican Party has become the party of fascists and racists. They hate Democracy and the Free Market.

You beat me to it!

His supporters will defend him right to the ground, even though once upon a time they would have lost their collective marbles if another President (particularly one named Obama or Clinton) even thought about a threat like this, let alone actually had the indecency and ignorance to say it out loud.

You beat me to it!

His supporters will defend him right to the ground, even though once upon a time they would have lost their collective marbles if another President (particularly one named Obama or Clinton) even thought about a threat like this, let alone actually had the indecency and ignorance to say it out loud.

There was a Reddit "Ask Trump Supporters" thread that had one post just hit the nail on the head harder than I've ever seen. From a Trump supporter:

"I think what most liberals are missing is that this isn't about right and wrong, it's about winning and losing. I've attached my entire worldview to this man and I am going down with the ship. Not one of you is going to convince me otherwise."

Naturally, we'll see conservatives in this thread defend this.

I wouldn't dream of defending it. Defense implies that the thing being defended was wrong or unseemly in some way. Which Trump's threat was not.

I unambiguously support Presidential action against Twitter. Though I doubt it could actually happen.

There was a Reddit "Ask Trump Supporters" thread that had one post just hit the nail on the head harder than I've ever seen. From a Trump supporter:

"I think what most liberals are missing is that this isn't about right and wrong, it's about winning and losing. I've attached my entire worldview to this man and I am going down with the ship. Not one of you is going to convince me otherwise."

Yup, that's absolutely what Trump supporters think. It's all about beating the libruls. Forget the Constitution. Forget the United States. Just win at all costs, and Trump troll the libruls, so he's awesome.

I can not believe I didn't realize how sick and corrupt the right was all those pre-Trump years that I was a Republican.

President man-baby wants to be a dictator and shut down any dissent.

Conservatives...all for the free market and free speech......until they aren't.

What a *****.

I love it! (sound familiar?)

Trump just put himself into a position that he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If he tries to interfere with Twitter by shutting it down, he's going to lose the one venue he has besides Fox to spread his filthy lies. If he doesn't, then he's going to have to be more careful about spreading conspiracy theories as he had recently against Joe Scarborough. So he's either going to have to deal with projecting things that can be fact-checked, or, he's going to have no social platform to use as his private megaphone.

Yep, that's it.. They love the fact that Trump is not only signing EO's that Dems and Libs don't like, AND he's trying to erase Obama's 8 years, but they REALLY LOVE the fact he rubs the Dems noses in what he is doing. Republicans only know how to govern with hate, vengeance and revenge. The whole party needs to be destroyed and started over.. Hopefully Trump is destroying it.

And as long as he keeps doing that they don't care if Trump burns down the country and wipes his ass with the Constitution..

Yup, that's absolutely what Trump supporters think. It's all about beating the libruls. Forget the Constitution. Forget the United States. Just win at all costs, and Trump troll the libruls, so he's awesome.

I can not believe I didn't realize how sick and corrupt the right was all those pre-Trump years that I was a Republican.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump

It's a constant **** show butthurt parade.

"Be Best" :lamo

HAHAHA! That fat fool is losing it and the entire world sees it. This is one of my favorites from today's public meltdown:

OBAMAGATE MAKES WATERGATE LOOK LIKE SMALL POTATOES!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1265608389905784834

Does he think everyone is as stupid as his fan base is? We all know he thinks they're stupid. Too bad for him that the rest of the world isn't stupid.

What a pathetic spectacle. How the right has crashed and burned, supporting this petulant moron.

He can't do much to stifle speech but even Zuckerberg says social media should be regulated. Trump is probably going after twitter financially by trying to damage its stock price.

HAHAHA! That fat fool is losing it and the entire world sees it. This is one of my favorites from today's public meltdown:

Does he think everyone is as stupid as his fan base is? We all know he thinks they're stupid. Too bad for him that the rest of the world isn't stupid.

What a pathetic spectacle. How the right has crashed and burned, supporting this petulant moron.

You notice that the usual group of cult-propagandists haven't flooded the thread with their stalwart defense of the madman?

Non Compos Mentis

You notice that the usual group of cult-propagandists haven't flooded the thread with their stalwart defense of the madman?

Non Compos Mentis

They would support Trump if he told them to get castrated and send their wives to him going forward.

Nobody in their right mind would think what Trump said here was acceptable. Nobody in their right mind. So that does exclude most of Trump Fan Nation.

I'm sure Melania appreciates he has Obama on his mind at 4:30am instead of trying to feed her mushrooms.

Or you know worry about the national pandemic going on.

W9OO0EO.png

And yet, as Ohio discovered, there isn’t adequate screening of those applications to reject those submitted by people who are not eligible to vote. In 2018, at least 77 illegal absentee ballots were found in Ohio ultimately because legal residents who aren’t eligible to vote were automatically sent ballot applications anyway and those applications were submitted and somehow approved.

I'm sure Melania appreciates he has Obama on his mind at 4:30am instead of trying to feed her mushrooms.

Or you know worry about the national pandemic going on.

#BeBest

I guarantee she's glad he isn't prowling around near her room at 4:30 am trying to grab her by the *****, which I'm sure revolts her. But yeah, why worry about a pandemic that already killed 100,000 of your constituents and destroyed your economy when you can worry about Obama?

I wouldn't dream of defending it. Defense implies that the thing being defended was wrong or unseemly in some way. Which Trump's threat was not.

I unambiguously support Presidential action against Twitter. Though I doubt it could actually happen.

So, to clarify:

On what grounds would you want action taken against Twitter? What law have they broken? What have they done that is morally wrong? Why is it a problem to provide a link to fact-checking?

You want the government to take over or destroy a privately-owned platform because of something they posted on the platform they own?

And yet, as Ohio discovered, there isn’t adequate screening of those applications to reject those submitted by people who are not eligible to vote. In 2018, at least 77 illegal absentee ballots were found in Ohio ultimately because legal residents who aren’t eligible to vote were automatically sent ballot applications anyway and those applications were submitted and somehow approved.

Um, the screening caught those 77 votes.

Back
Top Bottom