• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump supporters: Would you be his CoS?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
This is aimed primarily at Trump supporters. For the sake of this hypothetical let’s just assume that you are qualified for the job and your family situation isn’t an issue. If Trump asked you to be his Chief of Staff, would you accept? Why or why not?

This is aimed primarily at Trump supporters. For the sake of this hypothetical let’s just assume that you are qualified for the job and your family situation isn’t an issue. If Trump asked you to be his Chief of Staff, would you accept? Why or why not?

While I support and appreciate many of the things Donald Trump has done, I do not consider myself either a Trump supporter or a "Never-Trumper" for that matter. Under certain circumstances, perhaps I would, especially if I believed it would inure to the benefit of the country. However, I presently have no interest in putting my plans of starting a family on hold (or putting my legal career on hold for that matter, just as it is taking off) to be in charge of the administrative affairs of such an uncontrollably mercurial man. So, short answer, no.

Yes, because Trump would like me, and because this is a rare opportunity to both shine and to make a difference for America.

While I support and appreciate many of the things Donald Trump has done, I do not consider myself either a Trump supporter or a "Never-Trumper" for that matter. Under certain circumstances, perhaps I would, especially if I believed it would inure to the benefit of the country. However, I presently have no interest in putting my plans of starting a family on hold (or putting my legal career on hold for that matter, just as it is taking off) to be in charge of the administrative affairs of such an uncontrollably mercurial man. So, short answer, no.

Anybody who uses the word inure gets my vote. You would make a GREAT Chief of Staff.

I don't much care for some (quite a bit....most) of the stuff that comes out of his mouth but I'm generally OK with his policy and my first inclination would be to take the job. However, I've been in the labor force enough years, had enough managers and managed enough people that I'd really have to consider what the likelihood is of Trump cutting my legs out from under me if I take the job. I'm plenty used to people not taking my advice...even when they're paying for it, but I've worked for egomaniacs before and it grinds me down faster than anything else.

Anyway, having the opportunity to dig in and help make some real headway into shrinking the government would be awesome. Having that opportunity in front of me and being held back because some knucklehead farther up the ladder keeps making the job harder would just suck.

Yes, because Trump would like me, and because this is a rare opportunity to both shine and to make a difference for America.

.....no toking in the West Wing..........:2wave:

I mostly don't like the man. Some of his policies are okay with me. I doubt I qualify as the target respondent.

I would consider being CoS one of the highest possible honors and sacrifices someone can give for this country. However, there is still weight behind the phrase "I serve at the pleasure of the President". I think I would try it, but wouldn't last too long. Part of the job is enforcing policy and practices whether you believe in them or not. You get to try and change the President's mind, which could mean a lot. End of the day, though, you are sworn to stand by his final choice. I could see myself doing that with the Bushes or even Obama. I'm too scared what it would entail for Trump.

Eunuchs are encouraged to apply! This is a no teeth/no sack position..........no one who is not late in their career arc would even think about CoS given the last two years. I don’t know what Mulvaney’s fall back position is...

I don't much care for some (quite a bit....most) of the stuff that comes out of his mouth but I'm generally OK with his policy and my first inclination would be to take the job. However, I've been in the labor force enough years, had enough managers and managed enough people that I'd really have to consider what the likelihood is of Trump cutting my legs out from under me if I take the job. I'm plenty used to people not taking my advice...even when they're paying for it, but I've worked for egomaniacs before and it grinds me down faster than anything else.

I expect that your experiences above are shared by many.

Anyway, having the opportunity to dig in and help make some real headway into shrinking the government would be awesome. Having that opportunity in front of me and being held back because some knucklehead farther up the ladder keeps making the job harder would just suck.

You're a better man than I am Luther. I wouldn't take that job, ever. I wouldn't suffer the abuse that's bound to come with it. It's a middle man in management. You'd get it from all sides all day, every day.

Very little chance. Can't trust barely anyone you work with and powerful people are assigning targets on anyones back that aligns too close. Hell, I wouldn't even dare to be Trump's lawyer in the current climate. It a war. Even now to protect my businesses I keep a very tight lid on my support. it dangerous times. The other side is out for blood and I have to be very careful who I trust.

Now that I've seen "the swamp" attack.I had my eyes open. Trumps a very brave patriot in my view. That said, if in our meeting/interview he shared some-type of plan where that sacrifce would pay off [even in the longterm] with more than a few social conservative wins and a wall. I would be willing. Outside that I would have had to know him from before so as to have trust both ways.

You've got to view it as basically a short term loss and a real possiblity of perment injury - so the longterm payoff has got to be justifiable. I basically have to tell my wife this gig is worth risking our wealth, our friends and connections, our children success and our safety/security.

This civil war is in the cold stage. Trumps leading front lines. That is a very tough ask. You could call that crazy, but its really not. It very much become my experience post 2016.

I wouldn't because I have other life goals that would get in the way or otherwise not be possible if I became chief of staff.

Back
Top Bottom