• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Summons Thousands Back to Work Without Pay as Shutdown Drags On

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump threatens to order tens of thousands of federal employees back to work without pay to get the government running. I don't know how many workers will return to their jobs knowing they're not being paid, I know that I wouldn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/trump-democrats-shutdown.html

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Tuesday that it would summon tens of thousands of federal employees back to work without pay to get the government running amid a partial shutdown well into its third week, as the White House and increasingly agitated lawmakers on Capitol Hill cast about for a way to end the stalemate.

Trump threatens to order tens of thousands of federal employees back to work without pay to get the government running. I don't know how many workers will return to their jobs knowing they're not being paid, I know that I wouldn't.

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Tuesday that it would summon tens of thousands of federal employees back to work without pay to get the government running amid a partial shutdown well into its third week, as the White House and increasingly agitated lawmakers on Capitol Hill cast about for a way to end the stalemate.

likely quite illegal.

This is good news for the country, and the Trump haters are still whining, Oh Trump is so evil. :twisted:

From the O/P above:
"The Federal Aviation Administration said it was bringing thousands of furloughed inspectors and other employees back to work, while the Internal Revenue Service released a plan to have 46,000 of its 80,000 employees on the job for tax-filing season, up from about 10,000."

"The Interior Department is bringing back at least 40 federal employees tasked to work on a plan to sell oil and gas drilling leases off the entire United States coastline."

Forcing people to perform work without any compensation or payment.... there is a word for that.... I know its on the tip of my tongue because I heard the term somewhere before...

Forcing people to perform work without any compensation or payment.... there is a word for that.... I know its on the tip of my tongue because I heard the term somewhere before...

Internship? Volunteer work?

When the government stays shut down for a considerable amount of time it will be interesting to see how many people have found other jobs. Considering they can't collect unemployment I know I'd be seriously looking for a job in the private sector.

BTW what happens when there is choice between gas money to get to work and food on the table?

Reminds me of a guy I knew that was dumped like yesterday's trash from the Army when the Army needed to cut people during peacetime. Then Desert Storm started up and they need his MOS badly and pleaded for him to come back. He wrote in large letters on the letter they sent him "**** you" and sent it back.

Last edited:
Well, that certainly puts the term 'public servant' in a different light.

18 U.S. Code § 1589 - Forced labor
U.S. Code
Notes

Table of Popular Names
prev | next
(a)Whoever knowingly provides or obtains the labor or services of a person by any one of, or by any combination of, the following means—
(1)by means of force, threats of force, physical restraint, or threats of physical restraint to that person or another person;
(2)by means of serious harm or threats of serious harm to that person or another person;
(3)by means of the abuse or threatened abuse of law or legal process; or
(4)by means of any scheme, plan, or pattern intended to cause the person to believe that, if that person did not perform such labor or services, that person or another person would suffer serious harm or physical restraint,
shall be punished as provided under subsection (d).
(b)Whoever knowingly benefits, financially or by receiving anything of value, from participation in a venture which has engaged in the providing or obtaining of labor or services by any of the means described in subsection (a), knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that the venture has engaged in the providing or obtaining of labor or services by any of such means, shall be punished as provided in subsection (d).
(c)In this section:
(1)The term “abuse or threatened abuse of law or legal process” means the use or threatened use of a law or legal process, whether administrative, civil, or criminal, in any manner or for any purpose for which the law was not designed, in order to exert pressure on another person to cause that person to take some action or refrain from taking some action.
(2)The term “serious harm” means any harm, whether physical or nonphysical, including psychological, financial, or reputational harm, that is sufficiently serious, under all the surrounding circumstances, to compel a reasonable person of the same background and in the same circumstances to perform or to continue performing labor or services in order to avoid incurring that harm.
(d)Whoever violates this section shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If death results from a violation of this section, or if the violation includes kidnaping, an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, the defendant shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for any term of years or life, or both.
(Added Pub. L. 106–386, div. A, § 112(a)(2), Oct. 28, 2000, 114 Stat. 1486; amended Pub. L. 110–457, title II, § 222(b)(3), Dec. 23, 2008, 122 Stat. 5068.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1589

…..Just Sayin'....

Coast Guard not getting paid for the first time in its history. Thanks Commander ChickenSpurs.

Yeah, isn't it called unemployment compensation? The news reporters are great at interviewing the people crying about how amI gonna pay my rent, but why don't they ask if they're put a claim in for UC? :lamo

Yeah, isn't it called unemployment compensation? The news reporters are great at interviewing the people crying about how amI gonna pay my rent, but why don't they ask if they're put a claim in for UC? :lamo

Unfortunately that is not available to those who need it most. Only furloughed employees are eligible to claim it. Essential personnel who are required to work without pay are ineligible, and they are the ones who will be hurting most as it is harder for them to take a temp job, and they have all the usual expenses that go along with working, like transportation costs and child care costs. At least the furloughed employees can save on those costs, and child care is no small cost.

I don't think it's right. If someone is working, they should be paid. Period.

The converse is also true -- if we are going to pay these furloughed individuals for this time period when they return to work, why the #$%@! are we sending them home!

This may be a good time to question how many of the non-critical workers are necessary.

Can't get around the NYT paywall with this device.

So which is it? Has Trump summoned people back to work? Or has he threatened to summon people back to work?

(I know "threatening" to do something and actually "doing" something are the same thing to a lot of useful idiots, but they aren't the same thing to me.)

Trump, day by day upsetting as many as he can.

In most states, they cannot. UI usually requires the employee to have had their employment terminated

In most states, they cannot. UI usually requires the employee to have had their employment terminated

..........and it doesn’t reach very far.

I'd quit. In fact, I'd start a "blue flu" and just get as many other folks to quit with me. I will never work for free, and **** anyone who thinks otherwise.

You don't have to be terminated, just layed off or furloughed. Once they get called back to work and receive backpay, they will have to pay back the UC they received. When I worked in a factory years ago we had a shutdown for a month & we all filed and were paid unemployment, then went back to work when the shutdown was over. It happens!!

If you're going to summon government people back to work, why not reopen the government?

Can't get around the NYT paywall with this device.

So which is it? Has Trump summoned people back to work? Or has he threatened to summon people back to work?

(I know "threatening" to do something and actually "doing" something are the same thing to a lot of useful idiots, but they aren't the same thing to me.)

I would have posted more substance from the article but I've been punished several times for doing that so I try to stick to a paragraph at most.

I run into the damn paywalls all the time on the WSJ and NYT websites. I'll tell you how I get around them but you need to have Firefox web browser. There may be a way with Chrome or Safari also, but I only have Firefox. If you're using Firefox, click on the drop down box at the upper right corner where the 3 little horizontal lines are. In the drop down menu select 'new private window'. It will open a new window and you can access all these sites that are behind paywalls this way.

To answer your question, here's a link to the same story from Bloomberg News

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/trump-s-selective-recalls-curb-unpopular-disruptions-tests-law

This is good news for the country, and the Trump haters are still whining, Oh Trump is so evil. :twisted:

From the O/P above:
"The Federal Aviation Administration said it was bringing thousands of furloughed inspectors and other employees back to work, while the Internal Revenue Service released a plan to have 46,000 of its 80,000 employees on the job for tax-filing season, up from about 10,000."

"The Interior Department is bringing back at least 40 federal employees tasked to work on a plan to sell oil and gas drilling leases off the entire United States coastline."

Good job again President Trump! Just wish Nancy would do the right thing and support the 5.5 billion for additional physical barriers
along our Southern border. We desperately need the funding to help our border patrol keep us safe.

You don't have to be terminated, just layed off or furloughed. Once they get called back to work and receive backpay, they will have to pay back the UC they received. When I worked in a factory years ago we had a shutdown for a month & we all filed and were paid unemployment, then went back to work when the shutdown was over. It happens!!

No, not furloughed

In the case of your shutdown, you were not working because there was a lack of work. In this shutdown, there is plenty of work. The govt just cannot pay them for the work

From the O/P above:

Yes, he is evil slave labor sound good to you?

Yeah **** up the environment for profits, great....

From the O/P above:

Greetings, trixare4kids. :2wave:

I find it interesting that of all the departments that are being called back to work, the Internal Revenue Service is listed! The money many will doubtless owe the government is apparently too important not to call those employees back to work pronto, even though they may not be paid! Not only that, but it looks like any department that makes money for the government by any means is at the top of the list also, such as those who will sell oil and gas drilling leases. This is important to whom???

I guess this means that all the employees that serve as guides for the national parks and the many monuments, memorials, museums, and especially the White House, among other interesting places people who visit Washington want to see, are not included so those employees will just have to continue to wait to get called back to work? Ridiculous!?! :yes:

Yes, he is evil slave labor sound good to you?

Yeah **** up the environment for profits, great....

Remember, elections have consequences. :)

Back
Top Bottom