• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump, suggests turning off Acosta's camera, reveals Obama's private guidance

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX News

Trump, in exclusive interview, suggests turning off Acosta's camera, reveals Obama's private guidance on greatest threat to the US

President Trump, speaking exclusively to Fox News' Chris Wallace in a wide-ranging interview, revealed what President Obama told him was the biggest challenge facing the U.S., discussed potential high-level departures from his administration and admitted that he occasionally enjoys calling on CNN reporter Jim Acosta.

"Actually I like to do it, but in many cases I don’t," Trump acknowledged. In ruling that the administration temporarily has to restore Acosta's White House access pass on Fifth Amendment due process grounds, federal judge Timothy J. Kelly noted that Trump could simply choose to ignore Acosta. (The judge, in his preliminary decision, did not rule on CNN's First Amendment claim.)

But Trump, speaking to Wallace, floated another idea for handling Acosta.

"I think one of the things we’ll do is maybe turn the camera off that faces them, because then they don’t have any air time, although I’ll probably be sued for that and maybe, you know, win or lose it, who knows," Trump mused. "I mean, with this stuff you never know what’s going to happen."
(emphasis added)

"I think I’m doing a great job. We have the best economy we’ve ever had," the president said. "We’re doing really well. We would have been at war with North Korea if, let’s say, that administration continued forward."
(emphasis added)

COMMENT:-

"Petty" is a word that springs instantly to mind with respect to the first C&P

"Delusional" is a word that springs instantly to mind with respect to the second.​

From FOX News

Trump, in exclusive interview, suggests turning off Acosta's camera, reveals Obama's private guidance on greatest threat to the US

President Trump, speaking exclusively to Fox News' Chris Wallace in a wide-ranging interview, revealed what President Obama told him was the biggest challenge facing the U.S., discussed potential high-level departures from his administration and admitted that he occasionally enjoys calling on CNN reporter Jim Acosta.

"Actually I like to do it, but in many cases I don’t," Trump acknowledged. In ruling that the administration temporarily has to restore Acosta's White House access pass on Fifth Amendment due process grounds, federal judge Timothy J. Kelly noted that Trump could simply choose to ignore Acosta. (The judge, in his preliminary decision, did not rule on CNN's First Amendment claim.)

But Trump, speaking to Wallace, floated another idea for handling Acosta.

"I think one of the things we’ll do is maybe turn the camera off that faces them, because then they don’t have any air time, although I’ll probably be sued for that and maybe, you know, win or lose it, who knows," Trump mused. "I mean, with this stuff you never know what’s going to happen."
(emphasis added)

"I think I’m doing a great job. We have the best economy we’ve ever had," the president said. "We’re doing really well. We would have been at war with North Korea if, let’s say, that administration continued forward."
(emphasis added)

COMMENT:-

"Petty" is a word that springs instantly to mind with respect to the first C&P

"Delusional" is a word that springs instantly to mind with respect to the second.​

The country is going to hell and Trump spends his time thinking about camera angels. :roll:

Trump has achieved more than Obama could ever dream of achieving* (Obama was implementing fundamentally bad ideas)... and that excludes gutting Obama’s legacy in 14-months.

The press is awful, and their grandstanding adds to their awfulness. I’d have hoped he’d just cancel the presidential press briefings and conferences until Acosta is removed.

* I wonder if Obama has figured Trump’s “Magic Wand” yet... why Trump has been massively successful getting the economy going and bringing in jobs... whereas Obama admitted it couldn;t be done. And Obama couldn’t with his hostile mentality to business.

That's what he needs camera angels.

Sorry, couldn't resist - I know that it was a finger fumble.

Arsehole! I couldn't have resisted that either. Problem is I'm a victim of Southern education. Sometimes wrong **** makes sense to me. :roll:

Trump has achieved more than Obama could ever dream of achieving* (Obama was implementing fundamentally bad ideas)... and that excludes gutting Obama’s legacy in 14-months.

The press is awful, and their grandstanding adds to their awfulness. I’d have hoped he’d just cancel the presidential press briefings and conferences until Acosta is removed.

* I wonder if Obama has figured Trump’s “Magic Wand” yet... why Trump has been massively successful getting the economy going and bringing in jobs... whereas Obama admitted it couldn;t be done. And Obama couldn’t with his hostile mentality to business.

I do so love comments from people who either

• do not know that history and/or statistics exist;
  • do not know what history and/or statistics show;
  • do not care what history and/or statistics show;
  • do not understand what history and/or statistics show;
  • believe implicitly whatever the latest version of the officially approved, government sanctioned, currently operative, 'Truth-of-the-Day' is;
  • have no contact with reality; or
  • a combination of two or more of the above.

Weird. I don't remember any other president taking to twitter and calling another leader childish names. I'm not sure why he thinks the US would have been at war already, but then again he puts out all sorts of questionable statements.

Carl Bernstein ("Woodward & Bernstein") thinks these press conferences shouldn't go "live":
Veteran journalist Carl Bernstein on Sunday argued that cable news networks should stop airing full White House press briefings because they are "propagandist exercises."

Bernstein argued the media should consider editing and fact-checking the press briefings instead of treating them as a publicity opportunity for the White House.

"I also think because of Trump’s lying and his conduct in the presidency, which is so different than anything we’ve ever seen, we need to start thinking of a different way to cover his press conferences and briefings," Bernstein said on CNN's "Reliable Sources."

The legendary Watergate reporter is a political analyst for CNN. He frequently speaks out against the Trump administration, calling out the president's conduct as abnormal.

"For instance, I don’t think we should be taping them live all the time and just pasting them up on the air because they’re basically propagandist exercises," Bernstein continued. "They are overwhelmed by his dishonesty and lying."

Bernstein laid out a plan for how he thinks news networks can responsibly cover the briefings.

"Maybe we should be there, edit, decide as reporters what is news, and after the press conference or briefing is over, then go with that story with clips," he said. He added he believes the press briefings should be posted in full on news websites because "it’s a matter of record."

Bernstein's comments come after a week in which CNN sued the White House for revoking the press credentials of the network's chief White House correspondent, Jim Acosta. A federal judge on Friday ordered the Trump administration to reinstate Acosta's press credentials.

"We need to start editing," Bernstein said on CNN. "Not just give him a microphone when we know that his methodology is to engage and manipulate us on the basis of lying, propaganda and agitprop." https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday...the-media-shouldnt-air-full-white-house-press
What a good idea, instead of showboating Trump with one's views on whatever one finds objectionable, analyze the press conference, verify statements there made and offer intelligent conclusions thereupon. Inform rather than entertain, after all it is news.

Last edited:
Carl Bernstein ("Woodward & Bernstein") thinks these press conferences shouldn't go "live":

What a good idea, instead of showboating Trump with one's views on whatever one finds objectionable, analyze the press conference, verify statements there made and offer intelligent conclusions thereupon. Inform rather than entertain, after all it is news.

Not to worry, Mr. Trump is "doubling down" on this story by announcing that he is looking for ways to use (his newly invented and retroactively applied) "due process".

Not to worry, Mr. Trump is "doubling down" on this story by announcing that he is looking for ways to use (his newly invented and retroactively applied) "due process".
I don't think Trump is looking for "new ways" to apply due process, in fact it seems the White House is applying said process exactly as required by the judge following a very conventional approach; they've properly taken the first step and provided written notice of their intent to revoke the pass.

I don't think Trump is looking for "new ways" to apply due process, in fact it seems the White House is applying said process exactly as required by the judge following a very conventional approach; they've properly taken the first step and provided written notice of their intent to revoke the pass.

Which they backed down on as soon as CNN made it clear that it was going to challenge the action.

Which they backed down on as soon as CNN made it clear that it was going to challenge the action.
Not sure they "backed down" once they realized CNN would challenge:
The White House backed down Monday in its battle over CNN correspondent Jim Acosta, deciding not to pursue its November 7 decision to ban him from the building.

In a letter to Acosta, the White House told him: 'Having received a formal reply from your counsel to our letter of November 16, we have made a final determination in this process: your hard pass is restored.'

The White House's apparent stand-down came after CNN petitioned Judge Kelly for an expedited hearing, hoping to win a more permanent injunction before that order expired.

'There's the sense that we made our point and it's time to make this go away,' a White House official said Monday morning, while declining to speak on specifics surrounding the case.

According to CNN, the letter Acosta received Monday describes new rules that will be put into place, including a limit of 'a single question' from each journalist during presidential press conferences, and follow-ups only 'at the discretion of the President or other White House officials.'

'Should you refuse to follow these rules in the future, we will take action in accordance with the rules set forth above. The President is aware of this decision and concurs,' the letter continues. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-backs-DROPS-plan-Jim-Acosta-White-House.html
The new rules:
(1) A journalist called upon to ask a question will ask a single question and then will yield the floor to other journalists;
(2) At the discretion of the President or other White House official taking questions, a follow-up question or questions may be permitted; and where a follow up has been allowed and asked, the questioner will then yield the floor;
(3) "Yielding the floor" includes, when applicable, physically surrendering the microphone to White House staff for use by the next questioner;
(4) Failure to abide by any of rules (1)-(3) may result in suspension or revocation of the journalist's hard pass.
These are simple, clear and easy to understand, they provide an adequate basis to revoke a pass.

Even a child knows a tiger can't change its stripes, I expect Acosta will breach and lose his pass, but this time with full due process of law.

These intellectually lazy outbursts are the reason the GOP lost the election, Zimmer.

Do more of them.

[emoji1]

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Weird. I don't remember any other president taking to twitter and calling another leader childish names. I'm not sure why he thinks the US would have been at war already, but then again he puts out all sorts of questionable statements.

Twitter is a pretty new thing...

And numerous lies everyday that are proven by the fake press.

These intellectually lazy outbursts are the reason the GOP lost the election, Zimmer.

Do more of them.

[emoji1]

And why did they gain in the Senate?

Didn't Obama lose 62 House seats and 7 Senate seats in 2010? I guess he made a lot of lazy outbursts.

And why did they gain in the Senate?

Didn't Obama lose 62 House seats and 7 Senate seats in 2010? I guess he made a lot of lazy outbursts.
Lmao, they gained a single seat in an election where they were outvoted by 12 million, which surpasses popular vote totals for the next 3-4 elections combined.

It's almost like you live in an alternative world where the GOPs voting base is growing, and you think the majority of the country is represented by the party with the least voters.

That's nuts.

I'm not going to list all of President Obama's ACHIEVEMENTS because deplorables like you still refuse to accept the FACTS. But one thing that trump beats President Obama for sure is the days he has played golf. trump has played golf and gone on vacation MORE than President Obama, dubya and Clinton COMBINED. Even after he promised he wouldn't have time to go on vacation and play golf - he went on vacation the MINUTE after his inauguration.

Back
Top Bottom