• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Sues Deutsche Bank and Capital One to Block Compliance With Subpoenas

Congress can only demand private documents after articles of impeachment have been passed.

Everything Trump tries to do liberals sue to have it blocked. Trump does the same thing to congress and liberals lose their minds.

No they are collecting information to determine if impeachment is in order,or how many high crimes and misdemeanors he will be charged with.

They're putting the cart before the horse. It doesn't work that way.

No they are collecting information to determine if impeachment is in order,or how many high crimes and misdemeanors he will be charged with.

How would getting bank records from a bank he used as a private citizen demonstrate an impeachable offense as president?

Congress doesn't have oversight authority over the president. The president and Congress are co-equal.

Congress also doesn't have oversight authority over private documents. :lamo

Yes they do. There is a law for that.

"Neal’s request seems smart to me because, although not required by law, he gave reasons for his request and identified specific congressional functions, legislative and oversight, that are served by his request," Yin said.

He pointed to a key precedent: During Watergate, President Richard Nixon’s returns were initially given a clean bill of tax health in an IRS audit, but two subsequent audits resulted in Nixon owing almost $500,000 in additional tax and interest.

Because of the inherent conflict of interest in the IRS auditing the president, Yin said, "Congress has responsibility to double-check those situations, make sure there is no ‘funny business’ going on, as seems to have occurred with first Nixon audit."

Donald Trump’s tax returns: How Congress might — or might not — get them | PolitiFact

Trump Sues Deutsche Bank and Capital One to Block Compliance With Subpoenas -

The New York Times

Trump Sues Deutsche Bank and Capital One to Block Compliance With Subpoenas

President Trump, his three eldest children and his private company filed a federal lawsuit on Monday against Deutsche Bank and Capital One, in a bid to prevent the banks from responding to congressional subpoenas.
In the suit, filed in federal court in Manhattan, the president and his family members argue that the Democratic House committee leaders who issued the subpoenas engaged in a broad overreach.

This case involves congressional subpoenas that have no legitimate or lawful purpose, the suit alleges. The subpoenas were issued to harass President Donald J. Trump, to rummage through every aspect of his personal finances, his businesses and the private information of the president and his family, and to ferret about for any material that might be used to cause him political damage. No grounds exist to establish any purpose other than a political one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Democrats are confident that Deutsche Bank will have to comply because they claim that since he's no longer a private citizen and is now a public figure and he gets public benefits like getting to live in the White House and getting to fly on Air force One that with those benefits comes disclosure of things that would otherwise be kept private if he were a private citizen.

I am wondering what dirty secrets does he have to protect if he needs to keep everything secret, innocent people do not act as Trump does IMO.

If that's so secret, why do you know about it?

But you digress.

Because investigative journalists found out and reported it? Just a guess, based on how Trump's crap is usually exposed. Why the **** does anyone trust him?

How would getting bank records from a bank he used as a private citizen demonstrate an impeachable offense as president?

How much fun are we going to have when the next Democrat president gets elected...lol

In that case we should start with Biden now and see where it leads us ... :lol:

I think all of the Democratic candidates have disclosed tax and other financial documents. Not sure if Biden did so yet, but he did when he was on Obama's ticket in 2008.

I am wondering what dirty secrets does he have to protect if he needs to keep everything secret, innocent people do not act as Trump does IMO.

Hes not hiding anything, he is simply doing to the Resistance what the Resistance does to him--bottle everything they want up in court.

I think all of the Democratic candidates have disclosed tax and other financial documents. Not sure if Biden did so yet, but he did when he was on Obama's ticket in 2008.

No, we need a special council loaded with a team of republican prosecutors to investigate each of these dem candidates before they are elected. After all, if they have nothing to hide, why should they resist?

Sounds like something right out of mother Russia. Find me the man I'll find you a crime

Sounds like you love to cover for the ethically challenged.

Have they disclosed all of their financial records?

Are you under the impression that legislation is congress' only duty? Good grief.

Powers of the United States Congress - Wikipedia

He is not under any impression, his only job here is to ask redundant questions to get actual posters looking for Information occupied with trolls rather than research and share actual information..

There are a few here like that. They are easy to identify, they ask stupid questions over and over again...

They sure are finding lots of witches. How many people tied to Trump have been indicted and convicted for various crimes again?

And what does that have to do with anying. Are you saying if Trump has a brother and he kills someone, Trump is guilty of murder? If one of your family members are convicted of a serious felony, you are guilty as well.

He is not under any impression, his only job here is to ask redundant questions to get actual posters looking for Information occupied with trolls rather than research and share actual information..

There are a few here like that. They are easy to identify, they ask stupid questions over and over again...

Yep, and they just hate it when they get called on their endless baiting and their "playing dumb" instead of actually debating.

What ... he disclosed his and Hunter's bank loans before running for VP?!?

That isn't how our system works.

That's exactly right. Congress isn't a law enforcement agency. No where in Article 1 (that's a part of The Constitution) does it say that Congress can act as law enforcement.

Sigh ... {facepalm}

They are not acting as law enforcement. They will not indict anyone. They will not charge anyone with a crime. What they WILL do is find facts, and if those facts add up to criminal activity, they will turn those findings over to the applicable law enforcement agency.

Seriously, the ignorance from the Trump supporters on this forum regarding our own constitution is downright SCARY. I had to learn this stuff before I could even get into ****ing high school!

:doh

(I need an icon showing our flag flying upside down, because with this much ignorance on top of a lying sack of incompetent **** in the Offal Office, we are indeed a nation in distress.)

Back
Top Bottom