• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump signs order prioritizing job skills over college degree in government hiring

So you're neither a corporate hiring manager nor a college graduate. No experience in those areas. Lots of opinions.
What qualifications do you have for your opinions, and which are necessary?

Sounds like a good idea. Help people avoid crushing college loan debt by having jobs that require experience and not just a degree. Cool.

Small fine but i can guarandamntee many more people would be if der trumpengroper didnt make a huge fuss about it.
You feel that the American culture is the same as the South Korean culture and that the American people would be okay with the federally funded mask police? Sure.

I spent 30 years working for a Federal Agency. I can agree that some federal jobs do not require a college degree. Some do. It was by experience that the OPM job classification series was pretty much spot on. It did go through updates during my work time. The OP linked article did state, ""The government is not eliminating the college requirement entirely but instead will stress skills in jobs where having a degree is less important. ".

imo, Trump is trying to dummy down the federal workforce.

Classifying General Schedule Positions
In fact it is higher learning that has been dumbed down. https://www.amazon.com/Breakdown-Higher-Education-Happened-Damage/dp/1641770880

You feel that the American culture is the same as the South Korean culture and that the American people would be okay with the federally funded mask police? Sure.

:lamo culture is irrelevant. Police just distributed masks to help people, hardly heavy handed compared to our police. Suppose you have a point though, US police is worse. I suggested learning from more successful countries.

cool thing about opinions we can dismiss them.
i will gladly take a guy that can code without a degree or a guy that has been in construction for years without a degree over someone that has a degree and thinks he can do those things without ever proving himself.

Don't disagree for jobs you described.

I would expect college education to be a positive in natural resource management, the effects of toxic spills on wildlife, fire impact on soils, etc.

Perhaps other qualifications apart from a college degree is desirable. Lois Lerner Takes the Fifth at Tax Hearing

I should have been more clear. I worked for one of the federal land management agencies in natural resource / fire work. My comments are more about the natural resource agencies.
Yes, there are jobs where no college education is required. Yes, there are some that a college education would highly beneficial.

Don't disagree for jobs you described.

I would expect college education to be a positive in natural resource management, the effects of toxic spills on wildlife, fire impact on soils, etc.

cool so show us where that still wouldn't occur.

It also prioritizes those who have sat around for years with less skills and knowledge to be hired before a college graduate, dis-incentivizing getting a college degree. It puts a priority on nepotism and who you know over hard work and years of investing in education. The overall effect is regressive and decreases competency and progress. Anyone could look at Covid-19 results vs. the rest of the world, and see that something is terribly wrong with the results of the wealthiest nation. I don't think this step will mitigate that problem much.
If the bill prioritizes those things, how can the bold be true????

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

cool so show us where that still wouldn't occur.

All depends how OPM takes Trumps EO to make changes to the classification series. If OPM leaves the more professional series alone, it won't be a problem.

Since Trump's EO has not been implemented yet, can't do it. :lamo

Your talking the liberal arts area. I don't see it in the Natural Science fields. (Forestry, Wildland Fire, Range, Soils, Wildlife, etc).

Exactly. Data is data. Cause and effect. Systems and natural processes.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

You've just got to hand it to President of the United States of America Donald Trump. He wants to prioritize job experience for federal hires, and has busily stocked the swamp with appointees sadly lacking in same so that he can get rid of them and claim victory!

What a man! MAGA!

Sent from my old PC, using a cheap keyboard.

We won't know exactly how the new classifications prioritize what, until the precise modifications come out. But it opens the door for such abuses. What we do know is that it significantly reduces the scope and requirements of objective classifications that were previously put in place for years. Same could be said for experience. At best, we had some anecdotal comments made from industry execs that publicly spoke with Trump about the new classifications, one raved about how a long time truck driver who lost his job was able to get a new career after just a year of online programming. If that example is any illustration, I don't really see how 'years' of relevant experience would supercede and replace a qualified degree with this new system. How do we know that this experience based criteria can objectively field candidates any better than an education based criteria? One thing about an accredited college education is you can pretty much believe that candidates from that pool have a pretty objective and rigorous vetting before they even get put in a position.

I really can't understand all the whining from those on here that argue that they employ college idiots. I can only imagine that they never hired from accredited colleges (maybe Trump university, which wouldn't qualify), and never took the time to interview college graduates before hiring, or were not qualified to interview to begin with. Of the hundreds of candidates I've interviewed, very few hires could not perform competently on the job.

All these new college graduates who worked hard for years and likely gambled their entire future on the promise of hard work pays off, are being marginalized by the Trump admin. Sadly, Trump is doing everything he can to minimize their chances, right as we are facing the biggest unemployment crisis in history. And there's a history of Trump administration hiring people that made up college educations (like mina chang) and got put in high paying jobs. This just makes those types of hires, easier to slip through the cracks. There's not a lot to suggest he really cares about improving objective hiring standards or improving quality of living wages, but I can see how it sounds good on the surface (like lots of his specious statements).

Last edited:
Right Wingers don't value education. I'd say that is the most obvious thing ever.

Right Wingers believe that everyone is equal.

We're not fans of buying your way from caste to caste by memorizing BS spewed out by liberal professors, and then using your degree to act like you're on a different level than everyone else

Liberals are obsessed with working their way up the social ladder, because they have no other goals in life - it comes with atheism, and lack of a romantic interest in anybody or anything

Idk, been a blue collar worker for the last 19 years, but I do have a 4 yr college degree. Think there's different kinds of intelligence and we need to embrace this diversity and create paths for all. We need a diverse work force so traditional, trade and technical schools are needed. Just don't get why we have to look up or down on those who choose what's best for them.

Have to say I'm abit disappointed in some the liberal minded posts. Does seem to be kind of elitist. Also, understand Trump motives should be questioned.

Agreed on both parts, I think some jobs do need a degree but there are also some that you just need the knowledge and if that's through work experience instead of school (or through a trade school) that's fine. I'd even say some cases work experience trumps college for the knowledge needed. I also agree in the disappointment that liberal minded posts seem to be so against this idea.

Then again me being liberal yet disagreeing with liberals is becoming pretty common these days =/.

FYI, if you are getting a liberal arts degree, you don't even need to take 1 math class.

When I studied for a business degree, all I had to take was a statistics class, which makes sense but yeah.

Original source: USA today. Trump signs order prioritizing job skills over college degree in government hiring

Basically, a slap in the face to anyone that worked hard and invested in a college degree. Trump supports who you know over what you know... now we all have to follow that.

“This will ensure that we’re able to hire based on talent and expand our universe to qualified candidates and ensure a more equitable hiring process,” Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter and senior advisor, told reporters on Friday."

Anyone see the irony there?

Aren't the skill necessary to do the job the most important thing? And this isn't a slap in the face to college graduates. I'm sure they learned the necessary skills at college.

Aren't the skill necessary to do the job the most important thing? And this isn't a slap in the face to college graduates. I'm sure they learned the necessary skills at college.

IF you graduated from Harvard or Yale, they probably will hire you despite not having the necessary skills

We won't know exactly how the new classifications prioritize what, until the precise modifications come out. But it opens the door for such abuses. What we do know is that it significantly reduces the scope and requirements of objective classifications that were previously put in place for years. Same could be said for experience. At best, we had some anecdotal comments made from industry execs that publicly spoke with Trump about the new classifications, one raved about how a long time truck driver who lost his job was able to get a new career after just a year of online programming. If that example is any illustration, I don't really see how 'years' of relevant experience would supercede and replace a qualified degree with this new system. How do we know that this experience based criteria can objectively field candidates any better than an education based criteria? One thing about an accredited college education is you can pretty much believe that candidates from that pool have a pretty objective and rigorous vetting before they even get put in a position.

I really can't understand all the whining from those on here that argue that they employ college idiots. I can only imagine that they never hired from accredited colleges (maybe Trump university, which wouldn't qualify), and never took the time to interview college graduates before hiring, or were not qualified to interview to begin with. Of the hundreds of candidates I've interviewed, very few hires could not perform competently on the job.

All these new college graduates who worked hard for years and likely gambled their entire future on the promise of hard work pays off, are being marginalized by the Trump admin. Sadly, Trump is doing everything he can to minimize their chances, right as we are facing the biggest unemployment crisis in history. And there's a history of Trump administration hiring people that made up college educations (like mina chang) and got put in high paying jobs. This just makes those types of hires, easier to slip through the cracks. There's not a lot to suggest he really cares about improving objective hiring standards or improving quality of living wages, but I can see how it sounds good on the surface (like lots of his specious statements).
Would Columbia qualify as one of the better universities? YouTube

Or Berkeley? YouTube

It also prioritizes those who have sat around for years with less skills and knowledge to be hired before a college graduate, dis-incentivizing getting a college degree. It puts a priority on nepotism and who you know over hard work and years of investing in education. The overall effect is regressive and decreases competency and progress. Anyone could look at Covid-19 results vs. the rest of the world, and see that something is terribly wrong with the results of the wealthiest nation. I don't think this step will mitigate that problem much.

We won't know exactly how the new classifications prioritize what, until the precise modifications come out.

Let's just stick with answering my question first. You made a definite statement...and then responded...'we wont know...' What was the basis for your statement?

So you're neither a corporate hiring manager nor a college graduate. No experience in those areas. Lots of opinions.

So you're just going to police the thread and say that people aren't things?

So you're turning in with pointless drivel because you can't formulate an argument?

thanks for letting me know I guess there's nothing left to talk to you about.

Back
Top Bottom