• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump signs executive against FB & Twitter

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Can't find this on youtube. If someone can find it on there, please post it. Pardon the very biased header.

Short version: Their liability protections are now gone. Let the lawsuits begin.

This is one of the very few things I agree with DT on.

Edit: Removed original link.

Can't find this on youtube. If someone can find it on there, please post it. Pardon the very biased header.

Short version: Their liability protections are now gone. Let the lawsuits begin.

Twitter should cancel trumps account and that of anyone in his family or cabinet, conflict of interests. Facebook should do the same.

Don't think he can unilaterally do that, but we'll see what's going on if more comes out. Absolutely nothing on YouTube.

LMAO... Did you actually READ the executive order?

I'll sum it up.... I want the FCC to look for some way they are relevant in determining who gets section 230 protections... Conclusion, they are not...

If this isn't the grand mal seizure of unintended consequences, it'll do till the grand mal gets here.
Don't anyone think that a privately operated political discussion forum is safe from something like this, because they won't be.
I understand that a forum does not play any kind of a role that is played by FB or YT or what not.
Thing I'm getting at is, there are consequences which will ricochet and draw forums in.

And nothing draws in the s**tstorm quite as well as a vaguely worded and poorly crafted and overly excessive EO penned by a vindictive despot whose favorite chapter in their own book is titled "Revenge".

Loose the Kraken on this at your own risk.

Revenge22354 smaller.jpg

If this isn't the grand mal seizure of unintended consequences, it'll do till the grand mal gets here.
Don't anyone think that a privately operated political discussion forum is safe from something like this, because they won't be.
I understand that a forum does not play any kind of a role that is played by FB or YT or what not.
Thing I'm getting at is, there are consequences which will ricochet and draw forums in.

And nothing draws in the s**tstorm quite as well as a vaguely worded and poorly crafted and overly excessive EO penned by a vindictive despot whose favorite chapter in their own book is titled "Revenge".

Loose the Kraken on this at your own risk.

View attachment 67300209

We are fortunate that anyone who is familiar with this area of the law just smirks and ignores the rantings.

Last edited:

I'll sum it up.... I want the FCC to look for some way they are relevant in determining who gets section 230 protections... Conclusion, they are not...
hey, it'll get some play on Hannity (and Hannity will lie about it).

so there's that.

Just read it... thanks! Apparently I am way behind the boat on this one...

Anyway, would this not strip "publishers" of 230 liability protections if they claim equality but do not hold up to their own standards?
Therefore an average person could sue them.

Anyway, would this not strip "publishers" of 230 liability protections if they claim equality but do not hold up to their own standards?
No, there are over TWO decades of law backing the interpretation of the law. The way the protections are written, they are a defense that is raised by the person being sued with the court. The FCC is not involved at all.

can we sue this board?

Another Trump EO that does nothing he thinks it does. Shocker.

Don't think he can unilaterally do that, but we'll see what's going on if more comes out. Absolutely nothing on YouTube.

It sounds as if he is trying to re-assert the Bill of Rights while simultaneously daring anyone to attempt to apply any case law that has been considered part of our legal system as existing any longer. I don't think he has a chance of pulling that off once a court gets a look at the logic.

As far as I know, as of this writing:
The Federal Communications Commission has absolutely zero jurisdiction over FB, Twitter, YouTube or any other internet platform because the FCC's primary jurisdiction over subscriber based services (which is what the internet is) centers around technical specifications and performance criteria with regard to the way system infrastructure and its operators handle the flow of raw data.
Much of the rest of FCC's jurisdiction is centered around over the air broadcast and telecommunications.
For over the air commercial broadcasting, the FCC controls the licensing of transmitters and license status is dependent upon FCC rules regarding content which may run afoul of community standards for obscenity, or promotion of illegal activities.
These rules govern what is known as "the public airwaves".
For cable and satellite systems, the FCC's jurisdiction primarily centers again around technical and performance criteria, because again, cable and satellite are not public airwaves, they are private subscriber services.

As far as I know, as of this writing:
The Federal Communications Commission has absolutely zero jurisdiction over FB, Twitter, YouTube or any other internet platform because the FCC's primary jurisdiction over subscriber based services (which is what the internet is) centers around technical specifications and performance criteria with regard to the way system infrastructure and its operators handle the flow of raw data.
Much of the rest of FCC's jurisdiction is centered around over the air broadcast and telecommunications.
For over the air commercial broadcasting, the FCC controls the licensing of transmitters and license status is dependent upon FCC rules regarding content which may run afoul of community standards for obscenity, or promotion of illegal activities.
These rules govern what is known as "the public airwaves".
For cable and satellite systems, the FCC's jurisdiction primarily centers again around technical and performance criteria, because again, cable and satellite are not public airwaves, they are private subscriber services.

Just to extend this excellent writing.. The only reason the FCC is given the power to regulate OTA (that’s over the air) is because frequencies are limited. This is one of the reasons cable became so popular, the FCC couldn’t do squat if a show used bad language.

Which part do you approve of?
1: The president using the power of office to attempt to punish those he is feuding with?
2: The big government attempt to control content on private websites?
3: Increased governmental regulation?

Just curious...

Here is another look at the same topic from one of my favorite youtubers(check out his videos looking at legal movies, some are hilarious):

I like LegalEagle!

Which part do you approve of?
1: The president using the power of office to attempt to punish those he is feuding with?
2: The big government attempt to control content on private websites?
3: Increased governmental regulation?

Just curious...
I like the fact that liability protections are removed for folks that do not hold up to their own policies.

The shit will hit the fan on this one... looking forward to it.

I like the fact that liability protections are removed for folks that do not hold up to their own policies.

The shit will hit the fan on this one... looking forward to it.
Which is highly debatable to be the case here. Maybe if Trump had not cried wolf so many times, he might have just a touch of credibility.

Back
Top Bottom