• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says US stands with Saudi Arabia despite journalist Khashoggi's killing

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
This shouldn't be a surprise but many people are not going to be okay with this decision. We all sort of knew by this point that Trump wasn't about to put the Magnisky Act sanctions on Saudi Arabia. He just does whatever the hell he wants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/trump-says-us-stands-with-saudi-arabia-despite-khashoggi-killing.html

President Donald Trump says that the U.S. stands with Saudi Arabia in the wake of the slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

In a lengthy statement, punctuated with eight exclamation points, Trump says that "we may never know all of the facts surrounding" Khashoggi's death, but "our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."

Trump told reporters Saturday that a "very full report" will be coming by Tuesday on the U.S.' investigation. But in his statement Tuesday, Trump appeared to cast doubt that the U.S. probe of the matter was complete.

This shouldn't be a surprise but many people are not going to be okay with this decision. We all sort of knew by this point that Trump wasn't about to put the Magnisky Act sanctions on Saudi Arabia. He just does whatever the hell he wants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/20/trump-says-us-stands-with-saudi-arabia-despite-khashoggi-killing.html

President Donald Trump says that the U.S. stands with Saudi Arabia in the wake of the slaying of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

In a lengthy statement, punctuated with eight exclamation points, Trump says that "we may never know all of the facts surrounding" Khashoggi's death, but "our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."

Trump told reporters Saturday that a "very full report" will be coming by Tuesday on the U.S.' investigation. But in his statement Tuesday, Trump appeared to cast doubt that the U.S. probe of the matter was complete.

What a puppet.

That's fine... Saudi Arabia is a relatively nonaggressive middle east ally... no need to stir the pot even more...

They have got fair criticism for what happened, and I bet they will think twice before doing something like this again.... the prince also obviously has a lot of pressure on him now. It's not like nothing has come from this.

That's fine... Saudi Arabia is a relatively nonaggressive middle east ally... no need to stir the pot even more...

They have got fair criticism for what happened, and I bet they will think twice before doing something like this again.... the prince also obviously has a lot of pressure on him now. It's not like nothing has come from this.

Wow...

What a pathetic display.

Trump is a Benedict Arnold. I bet Pence was behind this TBH. His ideology converges with right-wing Islamofascist dictatorships such as Saudi Arabia quite a lot.

Trump might as well take a dump right on the foreign intelligence services since he just told the world he simply does not care if the Saudis killed this journalist or not. To him it simply does not matter.

This man - and I use the term charitably - is beyond disgusting and will go down in history as the worst president in American history with nobody else even close.

It would make zero sense to destroy the US relationship with Saudi Arabia over them doing what they've always done anyway.

What a puppet.

US is locked in, not much they can do as Saudi is critical to US Iran policy/sanctions. Also US needs Saudi and their regional weight to push, if it comes, an Israel/Palestine peace deal.
Note that Saudi and others are now working openly with Israel. Iran is their common enemy

Now in Saudi many Princes are disgusted with MBS, his run amuck attitude in Yemen/fight with Qatar. King Salman has a younger brother, who may yet become King.
Now is the US offering these Princes support?? I do not know. But I bet there has been contacts

Since MBS came to power he has alienated the majority of former Princes who carried immense weight within the Family. The successor to Salman is chosen by the Family, MBS is not made King without broad support within the Family.

https://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN1NO2KF

Dozens of princes and cousins from powerful branches of the Al Saud family want to see a change in the line of succession but would not act while King Salman - the crown prince’s 82-year-old father - is still alive, the sources said. They recognise that the king is unlikely to turn against his favourite son, known in the West as MbS.

Rather, they are discussing the possibility with other family members that after the king’s death, Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, 76, a younger full brother of King Salman and uncle of the crown prince, could take the throne, according to the sources.

Trump might as well take a dump right on the foreign intelligence services since he just told the world he simply does not care if the Saudis killed this journalist or not. To him it simply does not matter.

This man - and I use the term charitably - is beyond disgusting and will go down in history as the worst president in American history with nobody else even close.

this.

Of course the US president would stand next to an authoritarian regime that murders journalists abroad.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Of course the US president would stand next to an authoritarian regime that murders journalists abroad.

EVERY other president has done it. Get over yourself.

Disregarding US intelligence and siding with a foreign government who executed an American citizen. How can anyone stand with Trump on this? Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe these traitors to our country.

Obama is pictured bowing to them and you lot flip your lids. But now your man "stands with" a murderous dictator and it's cool?

Disgusting. Expected, yes, but disgusting.

Disregarding US intelligence and siding with a foreign government who executed an American citizen. How can anyone stand with Trump on this? Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe these traitors to our country.

What American citizen was executed?

Obama is pictured bowing to them and you lot flip your lids. But now your man "stands with" a murderous dictator and it's cool?

Disgusting. Expected, yes, but disgusting.

Yea, if Trump was bowing to them... I wouldn't like that lol.

But I don't want to make an enemy of them. We have too many enemies.... bigger one's. You have to make priorities... Saudia Arabia's cooperation with the US is far more valuable than a big denouncement show put on by our President.

Last edited:
Grotesque. There's no other word for it.

I'm not surprised you want to make more enemies in the middle east. Seems the left want's it to forever be a bloodbath militarized zone.

The Saudi's got bad press... what else do you want? Sanctions? Denouncement? So they get mad and start funding terrorists?

No thank you.... Saudi Arabia is one of the few Muslim countries playing it smart, being a crazy Theocracy while choosing to not piss off the West.

Last edited:

That is pretty much in keeping with the President's anti-globalist stance which is much appreciated by those of us who don't want the USA to be in the business of nation building or 'disciplining' other countries unless they force us into it as Germany and Japan did in WWII.

What would be gained by making enemies of an important middle east ally--an important trading partner and critical to many middle east peace initatives--because of the action of one member of the Saudi family? I know many members of Congress on both sides of the aisle think the Saudis should be severely punished for the murder of Khashogg but even the ring leader, Lindsay Graham, admits some caution is warranted in that regard.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...ip-complicates-u-s-response-khashoggi-n920551

Here is the White House statement regarding the Khashoggi murder:

America First!

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq’s fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Iranians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East. Iran states openly, and with great force, “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Iran is considered “the world’s leading sponsor of terror.”

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries – and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crime against Jamal Khashoggi was a terrible one, and one that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murder. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

EVERY other president has done it. Get over yourself.
Which is every?!?! Lmao, you're deluded. There is no case of a government admitting to the murder of a US resident, and then the US president saying yes, that's fine.

This is why you lost the election for the GOP. I can't wait until Trump is out of office so you can go back to the 'i didn't defend this GOP politician' routine.

I'm not surprised you want to make more enemies in the middle east. Seems the left want's it to forever be a bloodbath militarized zone.

I'm not surprised you'd lie about what I want in the middle east and imply that I'm on the left. You haven't presented anything even remotely rational thus far.
The Saudi's got bad press... what else do you want? Sanctions? Denouncement? So they get mad and start funding terrorists?

See? Laughably intellectually dishonest. They go press that described their murder of an America-based journalist in a foreign country. And they already fund terrorists. You simply have no idea what you're talking about.
No thank you.... Saudi Arabia is one of the few Muslim countries playing it smart, being a crazy Theocracy while choosing to not piss off the West.

Yawn. Clueless.

Here is the White House statement regarding the Khashoggi murder:

America First!

The world is a very dangerous place!

The country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq’s fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more. Likewise, the Iranians have killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East. Iran states openly, and with great force, “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Iran is considered “the world’s leading sponsor of terror.”

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

After my heavily negotiated trip to Saudi Arabia last year, the Kingdom agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States. This is a record amount of money. It will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, tremendous economic development, and much additional wealth for the United States. Of the $450 billion, $110 billion will be spent on the purchase of military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon and many other great U.S. defense contractors. If we foolishly cancel these contracts, Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries – and very happy to acquire all of this newfound business. It would be a wonderful gift to them directly from the United States!

The crime against Jamal Khashoggi was a terrible one, and one that our country does not condone. Indeed, we have taken strong action against those already known to have participated in the murder. After great independent research, we now know many details of this horrible crime. We have already sanctioned 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.

Representatives of Saudi Arabia say that Jamal Khashoggi was an “enemy of the state” and a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, but my decision is in no way based on that – this is an unacceptable and horrible crime. King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman vigorously deny any knowledge of the planning or execution of the murder of Mr. Khashoggi. Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event – maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!

That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi. In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They have been a great ally in our very important fight against Iran. The United States intends to remain a steadfast partner of Saudi Arabia to ensure the interests of our country, Israel and all other partners in the region. It is our paramount goal to fully eliminate the threat of terrorism throughout the world!

I understand there are members of Congress who, for political or other reasons, would like to go in a different direction – and they are free to do so. I will consider whatever ideas are presented to me, but only if they are consistent with the absolute security and safety of America. After the United States, Saudi Arabia is the largest oil producing nation in the world. They have worked closely with us and have been very responsive to my requests to keeping oil prices at reasonable levels – so important for the world. As President of the United States I intend to ensure that, in a very dangerous world, America is pursuing its national interests and vigorously contesting countries that wish to do us harm. Very simply it is called America First!

When Trump says "America first" what he's really saying is "Me first."

"Saudi Arabia, I get along with all of them. They buy apartments from me. They spend $40 million, $50 million," Trump said during a presidential campaign rally in Alabama in August 2015.

"Am I supposed to dislike them? I like them very much."

At another rally that year, Trump said of the Saudis, "I make a lot of money from them."

"They buy all sorts of my stuff. All kinds of toys from Trump. They pay me millions and hundred of millions."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/tru...nterests-in-saudi-arabia-but-makes-money.html

The corruption is so thick you can't see through it.

Back
Top Bottom