• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Says Supreme Court Needs Ninth Justice to Decide Election

Why would we want a situation where SCOTUS has eight members if they had to make a decision about some issue of election law pertaining to the presidency?

The state legislatures are the ones who choose their electors. And ideally, any sort of problem with their election should be resolved by the state legislature without interference from the courts, state or federal. And if the problem can't be resolved by the particular state legislature (ie. democratically) Congress resolves it (ie democratically).

But lets face it: we all know that in ANY contested election, the Democrats will run to the courts and demand they resolve it. The Republicans would probably also. We all know this. So ensuring there will be no ties in any possible SCOTUS ruling seems like a pretty wise move.

Silly me. And here I thought that it was American voters who decided the election.

Everything points to the fact that Trump isn't running against Biden, but against democracy.

Nonsense - have you forgotten the 2000 election? Got nothing to do with "Trump against Democracy".

"The Trump campaign is weighing a postelection strategy that would bypass the results in key swing states by installing electors who would vote for the president in the Electoral College even if he loses, The Atlantic reported.

Using a rationale of baseless claims about widespread voter fraud and other irregularities with mail ballots, President Donald Trump "would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly," The Atlantic's Barton Gellman wrote, adding that "the longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires."

If Trump's campaign staff succeeded in doing this I believe those States would see rebellion by the people. It would violate federal law.

That makes me question if President Trump is really a law and order President.

Democrats, and the courts, are the ones seeking to keep the vote count in doubt. It is they are demanding that votes continue to be accepted after election day.

Democrats, and the courts, are the ones seeking to keep the vote count in doubt. It is they are demanding that votes continue to be accepted after election day.

So the source I posted was wrong according to you. What you posted is an opinion. Care to share a source to what you posted?

So the source I posted was wrong according to you. What you posted is an opinion. Care to share a source to what you posted?

Under state laws, the candidate that wins that state, wins that states electors. The electors are chosen by the candidate prior to the election. It is difficult to imagine a duly elected Biden elector voting for Trump.

If the concern is that the campaign will try to get the state's to change their laws, that's been going on over the course of the year-- generally surrounding mail in ballots.

If the concern is that a state that has a close election, there will be pushing and pressure within state legislatures regarding a resolution, probably, and from both sides.
That's called democracy.

If the closeness of the state vote is due to all this newly adopted mail in voting, whose fault is that? Trump is on record numerous times in opposition to this development.

Under state laws, the candidate that wins that state, wins that states electors. The electors are chosen by the candidate prior to the election. It is difficult to imagine a duly elected Biden elector voting for Trump.

If the concern is that the campaign will try to get the state's to change their laws, that's been going on over the course of the year-- generally surrounding mail in ballots.

If the concern is that a state that has a close election, there will be pushing and pressure within state legislatures regarding a resolution, probably, and from both sides.
That's called democracy.

If the closeness of the state vote is due to all this newly adopted mail in voting, whose fault is that? Trump is on record numerous times in opposition to this development.
So no source. Got it.

I have been voting by mail for more than 20 years. Never had an issue. So why is it now an issue for Trump?

I hate to say it, but I suspect that even the most rational Republican Senators are thinking, "Welp, our democracy was good for a couple hundred years." I don't think they've spent a single second considering their role in any of this.

McConnell did say this in a tweet afterward...

"The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th. There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792."

So you disagree with counting a vote by mail if the state requirement is a postmark on or before election day?

McConnell did say this in a tweet afterward...

"The winner of the November 3rd election will be inaugurated on January 20th. There will be an orderly transition just as there has been every four years since 1792."

Impressive. McConnell is actually taking a role in in dialing down the temperature.

So you disagree with counting a vote by mail if the state requirement is a postmark on or before election day?

If that is the state law, then yes.

So no source. Got it.

I have been voting by mail for more than 20 years. Never had an issue. So why is it now an issue for Trump?

No source regarding what? Electoral laws in various states.
The objection being raised is the indiscriminate mailing of ballots.
No doubt you heard the story today about the Pennsylvania ballots... That is what Trump has the issue.

Silly me. And here I thought that it was American voters who decided the election.

Everything points to the fact that Trump isn't running against Biden, but against democracy.

The Democrats are already planning out how to win the election via the courts.

Trump has finally gone completely off the rails. I think he and his election team are floating this by early to see what kind of reaction he gets. And so far, there's no GOP or conservative voter resistance whatsoever. Unbelievable!
I think McConnell said there will be a peaceful transfer of power, but he is full of shit. He created the McConnell Rule, and then violated it based on absurd logic. It's hard to trust the GOP when they have made themselves out to be a bunch of liars

One day, Trumper supporters should all be ashamed

If their capacity for shame was suddenly returned to them (assuming they possessed shame in the first place), they would start screaming...and wouldn't stop screaming for a year before breaking down into relentless, uninterrupted sobbing for the next five years.

I hate to say it, but I suspect that even the most rational Republican Senators are thinking, "Welp, our democracy was good for a couple hundred years." I don't think they've spent a single second considering their role in any of this.
We can hope on the Supreme Court or another possible impeachment... maybe this time, more republicans will work with the democrats

The United States isn't a democracy.

Yes. You are right. Trump is POTUS. The Senate is controlled by Republicans, and have the votes to confirm. In what both parties refer to as the most crucial SCJ appointment of our time, you are saying the democrat party would voluntarily wait until the the election is decided, and the next president is inaugurated to pull the trigger on it right? .......... um... sure they would.

If their capacity for shame was suddenly

The U.S is not a democracy.

The United States isn't a democracy.
How much do you have to “hate to say it”, before you actually don’t say it?

It’s outrageous that he already has the votes to seat the person. I hope Romney backs out.

Romney's statement was very carefully worded.

He'll probably vote in support, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly voted against.

Back
Top Bottom