• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says Pence partnership over as ex-president eyes 2024 comeback bid

Lycanthrope

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
To the surprise of no one, Trump suggests Pence would not be on his 2024 ticket:

Former President Donald Trump is effectively ruling out tapping former Vice President Mike Pence as his running mate should he mount a third White House bid in 2024 and win the Republican nomination.

“I don’t think the people would accept it,” Trump told the Washington Examiner Tuesday evening during a wide-ranging telephone interview from Mar-a-Lago, his private social club and political headquarters in Palm Beach, Florida.

Trump specifically cited Pence's unwillingness to support the Big Lie as the primary reason. As for Pence?

Pence is considering a 2024 bid. He has let it be known he would not automatically stand aside if Trump ran and has accelerated efforts to establish his independence from the former president. Pence recently told a gathering of conservative lawyers Trump is flat “wrong” to claim the vice president is constitutionally empowered to throw out the results of a presidential election. Pence also took aim at Trump in a March speech to Republican donors.

Should shape up to be an interest GOP primary if both men run. I don't expect comments about penis size like in 2016 as Pence is a religious man, but it will be interesting to see the back and forth between them and how much the Big Lie will dominate the primary debates as a result.

GOP needs to find a way to get out of bed with Donald. He will dominate their platform and absolutely refuse to let them move on from the 2020 election.

To the surprise of no one, Trump suggests Pence would not be on his 2024 ticket:

Former President Donald Trump is effectively ruling out tapping former Vice President Mike Pence as his running mate should he mount a third White House bid in 2024 and win the Republican nomination.

“I don’t think the people would accept it,” Trump told the Washington Examiner Tuesday evening during a wide-ranging telephone interview from Mar-a-Lago, his private social club and political headquarters in Palm Beach, Florida.

Trump specifically cited Pence's unwillingness to support the Big Lie as the primary reason. As for Pence?

Pence is considering a 2024 bid. He has let it be known he would not automatically stand aside if Trump ran and has accelerated efforts to establish his independence from the former president. Pence recently told a gathering of conservative lawyers Trump is flat “wrong” to claim the vice president is constitutionally empowered to throw out the results of a presidential election. Pence also took aim at Trump in a March speech to Republican donors.

Should shape up to be an interest GOP primary if both men run. I don't expect comments about penis size like in 2016 as Pence is a religious man, but it will be interesting to see the back and forth between them and how much the Big Lie will dominate the primary debates as a result.

GOP needs to find a way to get out of bed with Donald. He will dominate their platform and absolutely refuse to let them move on from the 2020 election.
Time for Pence to look concerned again.

I pray djt gets the nomination.

There is a sizeable enough number of never Trump folks that if he runs it will splinter the Rep vote and once again force independents to vote D, and the Dems cruise in to another term, regardless of who they run (maybe with the exception of Hillary)
This is good news for the Democrats, terrible news for the Republicans.

Yay! I hope he goes for it! :p Trump will keep on ****ing up everything, until he's in the ground. He's stuck like glue.

Time for Pence to look concerned again.

I pray djt gets the nomination.
Why? I don't want either of them to get the nomination.

Lol Trump saw Pence throw all Donnie's crap out on the grass and Trump screams that's IT I'm done with you!!! Heads up little man, Pence already said cya.

If Trump runs in 2024 the obvious ticket will be Putin/Trump.
And the disconcerting part is many on the far right would be in favor of that.

There is a sizeable enough number of never Trump folks that if he runs it will splinter the Rep vote and once again force independents to vote D, and the Dems cruise in to another term, regardless of who they run (maybe with the exception of Hillary)
This is good news for the Democrats, terrible news for the Republicans.
I agree that Trump running hurts Republicans. He will (once again) make it all about him, and specifically about the 2020 election which will inevitably keep the events of January 6 in the forefront of everyone's minds.

Sparring with Pence in the primary debates about what he should or shouldn't have done to ensure a second Trump term will be especially damaging, but must see TV!

Perhaps. I don't think he has a chance in getting nominated.
I generally agree, especially if Trump runs again. Pence would get precious little Trumpist support, and as such would be absolutely dependent on the Evangelicals. Trouble is, too many Evangelicals are themselves Trumpists.

Trump won't need a running mate.
He'll just have an "acting" VP, like he had for most of the cabinet positions.
And once he declares that he doesn't need the constitution to rule, the VP position will go away.

I generally agree, especially if Trump runs again. Pence would get precious little Trumpist support, and as such would be absolutely dependent on the Evangelicals. Trouble is, too many Evangelicals are themselves Trumpists.
I agree. Of course, if by some miracle, he does get the nomination, is that better, or worse for Democrats? I think a lot of GOP voters will feel better about voting for Pence, as apposed to the disruptive a@@clown they failed with previously.

Any chance if Pence ran, he would strip away the evangelicals from the Trump tent?

Any chance if Pence ran, he would strip away the evangelicals from the Trump tent?
To a significant degree? I sincerely doubt it. Too many Evangelicals are drawn in by Trump's particularly toxic tough guy bluster. Pence is a milquetoast who calls his wife "Mother."

I find it rather sad to pathetic, that so many Evangelicals have allowed this man to turn them into raging hypocrites. A real Christian, which Evangelicals claim to be, would not have Trump as their leader as Trump is antithetical to just about everything Christ taught and God has commanded. It shows the utter shallowness of many Evangelicals.

I agree. Of course, if by some miracle, he does get the nomination, is that better, or worse for Democrats? I think a lot of GOP voters will feel better about voting for Pence, as apposed to the disruptive a@@clown they failed with previously.
If it came down to either Trump or Pence winning the nomination I'm not sure whether it's better or worse for Democrats with Pence - even though he did the right thing on January 6, he still sat meekly by for 4 years while Trump beclowned himself daily.

I don't think Republicans would be able to generate much enthusiasm for Pence - he's too vanilla for some of them, still reeking of Trump for the others.

Perhaps. I don't think he has a chance in getting nominated.
His ability to get nominated is not entirely related to his desire to be nominated.

I find it rather sad to pathetic, that so many Evangelicals have allowed this man to turn them into raging hypocrites. A real Christian, which Evangelicals claim to be, would not have Trump as their leader as Trump is antithetical to just about everything Christ taught and God has commanded. It shows the utter shallowness of many Evangelicals.
While I understand what you're saying from a theological standpoint, it makes perfect sense to me when Evangelicals love and defend Trump. He embodies/embraces some of their most cherished values - patriarchy, nationalism, militant masculinity, power, and capitalism as inherently virtuous (to name just a few).

While I understand what you're saying from a theological standpoint, it makes perfect sense to me when Evangelicals love and defend Trump. He embodies/embraces some of their most cherished values - patriarchy, nationalism, militant masculinity, power, and capitalism as inherently virtuous (to name just a few).
...none of which are Godly values (other than patriarchy)... which is why much of the evangelical movement has twisted off into an un-Godly cult that fundamentally uses the Lord's name to further their own political power, in essence, doing Satan's work for him.

...none of which are Godly values (other than patriarchy)... which is why much of the evangelical movement has twisted off into an unGodly cult that fundamentally uses the Lord's name to further their own political power
I don't disagree, with the bolded caveat "much," meaning not all. Those are the sorts who are typically the most ardent Trump supporters.

Why? I don't want either of them to get the nomination.
Because there is zero chance djt will win, and his trumpiness will drag down enough middle districts to increase D majorities in each house. There is a huge difference between a R primary and a general election.

Because there is zero chance djt will win, and his trumpiness will drag down enough middle districts to increase D majorities in each house. There is a huge difference between a R primary and a general election.
I thought there was zero chance for him to get elected in 2016, but I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom