• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says not pressing U.S. government for coronavirus vaccine for political reasons

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Trump says not pressing U.S. government for coronavirus vaccine for political reasons | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday told Fox News he is not pressuring the U.S. government for a vaccine against the deadly coronavirus for political reasons.

“I’m not doing it for political reasons. I want the vaccine fast,” said Trump, whose chances at re-election in November hinge on his response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
===============================================
I don't believe a word of his statement. He wants the vaccine by election time.

Last edited:
Trump says not pressing U.S. government for coronavirus vaccine for political reasons | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday told Fox News he is not pressuring the U.S. government for a vaccine against the deadly coronavirus for political reasons.

“I’m not doing it for political reasons. I want the vaccine fast,” said Trump, whose chances at re-election in November hinge on his response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

When would you like to see a vaccine available?

You don't?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When everything is tested & approved. It's hard to forecast complex projects like this.

I think everyone wants one fast. The question is whether it will be properly tested and competently distributed.

When everything is tested & approved. It's hard to forecast complex projects like this.

So if it's (some vaccine version) sufficiently tested and approved by the end of October, you'd be okay with it?

When it is safe and effective and there is time for thorough testing.

Also when the supply chains have been effectively built for people can get it easily at the local drug store.

When it is safe and effective and there is time for thorough testing.

Also when the supply chains have been effectively built for people can get it easily at the local drug store.

I believe the safety standard is being satisfied. OTOH, if you prefer to take your chances with the virus, you are free to do so.

No pharmaceutical company on the planet has the ability to produce 300,000,000 vaccine doses at one time. Vaccination will start with the most vulnerable and expand from there.

It sounds as if you wish to delay the vaccine for politucal purposes.

When proper testing is actually completed, which necessarily takes a specific amount of time so that we dont see unexpected side effects from the vaccine and know that it works.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

I believe the safety standard is being satisfied. OTOH, if you prefer to take your chances with the virus, you are free to do so.

No pharmaceutical company on the planet has the ability to produce 300,000,000 vaccine doses at one time. Vaccination will start with the most vulnerable and expand from there.

I will wait until actual scientific medical agencies like Cleveland Clinic, Emory, John's Hopkins, or other nonpolitical institutions recommend it. That is the only intelligent approach in this social climate because unfortunately right now executive branch agencies cannot be fully trusted.

Trump has absolutely no problem trying to release a vaccine that harms people, so long as that harm happens after the election.

Last edited:

It sounds more like your reading comprehension may be off.

When proper testing is actually completed, which necessarily takes a specific amount of time so that we dont see unexpected side effects from the vaccine and know that it works.

That process has been underway for some time now.

Of course he does. Everything he utters is either a blatant lie or needs rigorous fact-checking. Too many professionals have stated categorically that this process cannot be rushed. We're not building microwave ovens here.
There are established protocols for clinical trials, and they are 'established' for a good reason; because they have been proven over years to produce the most reliable results. Start cutting corners and you're in for a world of potential problems leading you back to square one.

Last edited:

There are over 150 countries involved in testing and trials of various vaccines. That's by far the largest testing base ever attempted. Astra Zeneca recently halted phase three trials because one (!) person suffered an adverse reaction out of 30,000 candidates. They take safety seriously.

As I mentioned to another, you don't have to be innoculated until you are completely satisfied. Others who are vulnerable to complications from this virus don't have that luxury.

I will wait until actual scientific medical agencies like Cleveland Clinic, Emory, John's Hopkins, or other nonpolitical institutions recommend it. That is the only intelligent approach in this social climate because unfortunately right now executive branch agencies cannot be fully trusted.

Trump has absolutely no problem trying to release a vaccine that harms people, so long as that harm happens after the election.

This seems to be an emergency, so it is perfectly reasonable that emergency proceedures would be employed. You are free to wait as long as you like.

You seem to have no problem with continuing deaths from the virus as long as it advances your preferred politics. It's not a flattering picture.

This seems to be an emergency, so it is perfectly reasonable that emergency proceedures would be employed. You are free to wait as long as you like.

You seem to have no problem with continuing deaths from the virus as long as it advances your preferred politics. It's not a flattering picture.

You seem to have no problem assuming what I intend. Its obvious I want to minimize deaths and to suggest otherwise is nothing but poor attempt at trying to frame my argument into something ridiculous, if you choose to stoop that low, so be it, but I will be a better person than you in that regard it seems since I will avoid baseless accusations.

What I want is a solution that is not politically affected. That will not happen, so instead, I will look towards institutions that are independent for the good of all.

You are free to take undue risk if you wish, and that is fine, however that just effectively makes you a guinea pig.

There are over 150 countries involved in testing and trials of various vaccines. That's by far the largest testing base ever attempted. Astra Zeneca recently halted phase three trials because one (!) person suffered an adverse reaction out of 30,000 candidates. They take safety seriously.

As I mentioned to another, you don't have to be innoculated until you are completely satisfied. Others who are vulnerable to complications from this virus don't have that luxury.
Having those who are vulnerable die from the vaccine or find out it isnt affective isnt going to do them any good.

You seem to have no problem assuming what I intend. Its obvious I want to minimize deaths and to suggest otherwise is nothing but poor attempt at trying to frame my argument into something ridiculous, if you choose to stoop that low, so be it, but I will be better than you in that regard it seems.

What I want is a solution that is not politically affected. That will not happen, so instead, I will look towards institutions that are independent for the good of all.

You are free to take undue risk if you wish, and that is fine, because you can be my guinea pig.

You have no problem attributing motives to others not in evidence.

Vaccine developers don't have a political motive. They have an economic motive that could be disastrous for them should they fail in any respect. They also have an altruistic motive, as much as this may shock some.

The politics associated with this operates outside the field of research. I suggest you review exactly who has made this pandemic a political issue. At the outset of this pandemic, political leaders in areas most severely affected by this virus were quite complimentary of Trump's effort to assure they had what was necessary.

And requires more time. That is why we have phases of testing.

It's not ready just yet, but the sooner it is, the better. At my age, yesterday would be good.

You have no problem attributing motives to others not in evidence.
sure buddy!

Vaccine developers don't have a political motive. They have an economic motive that could be disastrous for them should they fail in any respect. They also have an altruistic motive, as much as this may shock some..

Correct and so far all I have suggested is to let them do their job without political interference from the president.

The politics associated with this operates outside the field of research. I suggest you review exactly who has made this pandemic a political issue. At the outset of this pandemic, political leaders in areas most severely affected by this virus were quite complimentary of Trump's effort to assure they had what was necessary.

1. That fault is primarily Trump's in the way he did not provide federal leadership, instead leaving it up to the states.
2. This has nothing to do with political interference with vaccine research.

Having those who are vulnerable die from the vaccine or find out it isnt affective isnt going to do them any good.

Many of the developers already know their vaccines are effective. The chief questions are effective for how long, and what adverse reactions might be encountered.

The University of Pittsburgh has isolated the specific antibody that attacks this virus and prevents serious infection. Administration of that particular antibody may be as simple as inhaling it. The treatment picture is brightening as well.

Mt suggestion is to let research and development lead the way. The politics surrounding such efforts is meaningless, unless you view political concerns before all else.

It's just as easy to say the political left is interested in delaying a vaccine for political purposes as it is to say that Trump is interested in expediting a vaccine for political purposes. The chief difference is that if a safe vaccine is available in the next couple of months, lives will be saved.

sure buddy!

Correct and so far all I have suggested is to let them do their job without political interference from the president.

1. That fault is primarily Trump's in the way he did not provide federal leadership, instead leaving it up to the states.
2. This has nothing to do with political interference with vaccine research.

Heh. As I said, you have no problem assuming motives not in evidence.

Back
Top Bottom