• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says he will not give State of the Union until after shutdown ends

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Trump says he will give the State of the Union address but not until after the shutdown ends. But Trump doesn't realize that a continued shutdown is going to throw the U.S. into a recession and when that happens any chance of him winning re-election in 2020 goes down the drain. I've been saying since the first week of the shutdown that most people are just 2 paychecks away from bankruptcy. It's been 2 paychecks now. How are federal workers going to react this going on for possibly months?

https://wapo.st/2FJwj3x?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.19765f8240d2

The back and forth between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and President Donald Trump over when and where the State of the Union will be delivered -- if at all -- came to a conclusion, if temporary, late Wednesday night. Trump will not give a speech until after the partial government shutdown is over.

The president tweeted the news in a two-part missive just before midnight, saying, "As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over."

Trump says he will give the State of the Union address but not until after the shutdown ends. But Trump doesn't realize that a continued shutdown is going to throw the U.S. into a recession and when that happens any chance of him winning re-election in 2020 goes down the drain. I've been saying since the first week of the shutdown that most people are just 2 paychecks away from bankruptcy. It's been 2 paychecks now. How are federal workers going to react this going on for possibly months?

https://wapo.st/2FJwj3x?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.19765f8240d2

The back and forth between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and President Donald Trump over when and where the State of the Union will be delivered -- if at all -- came to a conclusion, if temporary, late Wednesday night. Trump will not give a speech until after the partial government shutdown is over.

The president tweeted the news in a two-part missive just before midnight, saying, "As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over."

Are you really under the illusion that if this drags on that federal workers and the American public won't start to blame Democrats from keeping the government closed over semantics? The Wall vs drones?

Good luck!

How are federal workers going to react this going on for possibly months?

They are going to tell Nancy: "Now look, woman, you strike a deal with the President, or we will either vote Republican in 2020 or sit out the election."

That Donald J. Trump is one smart cookie.

They are going to tell Nancy: "Now look, woman, you strike a deal with the President, or we will either vote Republican in 2020 or sit out the election."

:screwy

Are you really under the illusion that if this drags on that federal workers and the American public won't start to blame Democrats from keeping the government closed over semantics? The Wall vs drones?

Good luck!

LOL

This is Trump's shut down, he said so.

Everyone understands tRump has twice changed his mind on a deal and that the DEm house has voted to reopen and the GOp refuses to act.

What flavor kool-Aid are you drinking? Is it tasty?

Good luck!
Semantiics? Throwing away 5 billion that does nothing to a complete child of a president is semantics? LOL Sorry, everybody knows Trump and the repulbicans that somehow continue to protect him (fine, go down with the ship) are responsible.

Only people ever blaming democrats are dumb, fox news watching moron conservatives

The current 37% POTUS approval rating tells all we need to know as to who the American populace is holding responsible for the shutdown. end...of....story...

Semantiics? Throwing away 5 billion that does nothing to a complete child of a president is semantics? LOL Sorry, everybody knows Trump and the repulbicans that somehow continue to protect him (fine, go down with the ship) are responsible.

Only people ever blaming democrats are dumb, fox news watching moron conservatives

You're right, Trump should ask for more money.

And in fact, this morning it's being reported that Trump is pushing the number to $20 Billion in exchange for green cards and residency for DACA recipients.

Thanks for the advice!!

Good luck!

Actually yes, the majority will still blame Trump and the GOP. Look, since you guys are so hung up on the wall, have you seen the WH or anyone else do a cost comparison of technology versus the wall? Neither have I because the WH (aka Trump) is so fixated on his EGO wall that there hasn't been one done.

Really sad that you all are (yeah just spend it) without any cost comparison of using different methods. Wow is all I have to say. And the people will say Trump and the GOP are at fault in 2020. Good luck.

You're right, Trump should ask for more money.

And in fact, this morning it's being reported that Trump is pushing the number to $20 Billion in exchange for green cards and residency for DACA recipients.

Thanks for the advice!!

Reported by who? Oh yeah nobody really. Trump put the DACA recipients in danger BECAUSE of his OWN actions receding the DACA protection. So now you think Dems are supposed to jump for joy that they were offered a 3 year TEMPORARY reprieve for that? Hell no.

Now if Trump TRULY is offering green cards and PERMANENT residence for DACA recipients, than that is something at least can be discussed AFTER the shutdown is over. Not until then, Trump is holding government workers hostage.

Actually yes, the majority will still blame Trump and the GOP. Look, since you guys are so hung up on the wall, have you seen the WH or anyone else do a cost comparison of technology versus the wall? Neither have I because the WH (aka Trump) is so fixated on his EGO wall that there hasn't been one done.

Really sad that you all are (yeah just spend it) without any cost comparison of using different methods.
Wow is all I have to say. And the people will say Trump and the GOP are at fault in 2020. Good luck.

Who gives a fu** about your little cost comparison? Everyone knows as soon as Democrats have control, they'll defund and ignore border security and find more ways to let millions more illegals in with another, 'Catch and Release' scheme.

A Wall is permanent and that's why your side is fighting so hard against it.

Reported by who? Oh yeah nobody really. Trump put the DACA recipients in danger BECAUSE of his OWN actions receding the DACA protection. So now you think Dems are supposed to jump for joy that they were offered a 3 year TEMPORARY reprieve for that? Hell no.

Now if Trump TRULY is offering green cards and PERMANENT residence for DACA recipients, than that is something at least can be discussed AFTER the shutdown is over. Not until then, Trump is holding government workers hostage.

Pelosi has already made clear she won't give any money for the Wall even if Trump opened up the government. Therefore we'll discuss Wall funding now.

Pelosi has already made clear she won't give any money for the Wall even if Trump opened up the government. Therefore we'll discuss Wall funding now.

You can discuss wall funding NOW all you like. Without alternatives and cost analysis and the government re-opened up it is a dead issue. Pelosi said she is not going to take the same old AND wall funding. Until Trump reopens the government up and ACTUALLY discusses other things he will get no wall.

Who gives a fu** about your little cost comparison? Everyone knows as soon as Democrats have control, they'll defund and ignore border security and find more ways to let millions more illegals in with another, 'Catch and Release' scheme.

A Wall is permanent and that's why your side is fighting so hard against it.

Yeah, the dems ignore border security so much that each year BILLIONS have been sent to support Border Security :lamo

You guys are hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic that you actually believe the bull**** you spout. All you do is proved correct what we have said about Trump supporters. Please keep digging your hole of ignorance and lies, it's hilarious. :lamo

You can discuss wall funding NOW all you like. Without alternatives and cost analysis and the government re-opened up it is a dead issue. Pelosi said she is not going to take the same old AND wall funding. Until Trump reopens the government up and ACTUALLY discusses other things he will get no wall.

Fine. You Liberals can keep the government closed on principle.

I'm sure the 75% of federal workers on furlough who are Democrats will support that

Really sad that you all are (yeah just spend it) without any cost comparison of using different methods. Wow is all I have to say. And the people will say Trump and the GOP are at fault in 2020. Good luck.

Who the public blames is irrelevant. If Trump holds strong and the Dems cave the public will immediately blame the democrats.

I'm sure the 75% of federal workers on furlough who are Democrats will support that

That’s the thing, the vast majority of furloughed workers are probably in D districts anyway

It's not the Dems keeping the government closed. They want it re-opened and to discuss Border Security. It is Trump and the GOP who want to keep the government closed and to hold federal workers hostage to their demands.

Good luck!

Psst… Trump says he proudly owns the shutdown. This is his temper tantrum, no one else's. And billions of dollars on a wall that won't fix the problem is hardly semantics.

It is fascinating to see the contortions of Trump supporters in light of yet ANOTHER Trump walk back. :lol: #winning

Yeah, the dems ignore border security so much that each year BILLIONS have been sent to support Border Security :lamo

You guys are hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic that you actually believe the bull**** you spout. All you do is proved correct what we have said about Trump supporters. Please keep digging your hole of ignorance and lies, it's hilarious. :lamo

Yeah, the side that wants to abolish ICE, give citizenship to 11 million illegals, wants no border barrier and comes up with schemes like Catch and Release, funds border security not out of necessity to get funding for their own pet projects but because,......they super duper care about the border.

It's reasons like your post above why many think your side is a joke.

Who the public blames is irrelevant. If Trump holds strong and the Dems cave the public will immediately blame the democrats.

And that's why the Dems aren't caving. They have said they will discuss Border Security when the government reopens completely and Trump and the GOP stop holding federal workers hostage. This shutdown is Trump's and the GOP FULLY now and there is nothing you can say to change that.

And who cares what you think, you'll be out of the US for good in about 10 months right? Or are you backing out of that lie too? :lamo

Yeah, the side that wants to abolish ICE, give citizenship to 11 million illegals, wants no border barrier and comes up with schemes like Catch and Release funds border security not out of necessity to get funding for their own pet projects but because,......they super duper care about the border.

It's reasons like your post above why many think your side is a joke.

So Billions are not spent each year on Border Security? Please show that. Also, what Bill has been introduced to abolish ICE? Oh yeah NONE. Also, we have border barriers NOW, so your comment about Dems wanting open borders is bull**** and your lies are well known now.

And that's why the Dems aren't caving. They have said they will discuss Border Security when the government reopens completely and Trump and the GOP stop holding federal workers hostage. This shutdown is Trump's and the GOP FULLY now and there is nothing you can say to change that.

And who cares what you think, you'll be out of the US for good in about 10 months right? Or are you backing out of that lie too? :lamo

I never said I was leaving the US in ten months, I said I was leaving WA state in 10 months, I’m researching job skills useful for living as an expat in Latin America in case intersectionalists gain full power though

You say that now but I wonder how many democrat house members will hold strong when the districts in NoVa and Maryland where the federal workers live start going into recession from lack of pay and the heat really picks up on those reps to end it. I think plenty of democrats might be willing to give 5 billion for a fence if their constituents are demanding to go back to work and don’t give a crap over 5B for a wall versus their salaries

Good luck!

It's no illusion. His approval numbers have dropped to 37% since the shutdown commenced. His approval rating was 55% at this same time last year. He's the one that's responsible for starting it, he's the one that is responsible for continuing it, and he's the one that can end it today. Democrats will not be held responsible since Pelosi has stated numerous times that discussions will begin once the shutdown ends.

Back
Top Bottom