• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says he will not give State of the Union until after shutdown ends

You're right, Trump should ask for more money.

And in fact, this morning it's being reported that Trump is pushing the number to $20 Billion in exchange for green cards and residency for DACA recipients.

Thanks for the advice!!

Trump had a 20 billion offer from the Dems earmarked for the wall and turned it down.

Actually yes, the majority will still blame Trump and the GOP. Look, since you guys are so hung up on the wall, have you seen the WH or anyone else do a cost comparison of technology versus the wall? Neither have I because the WH (aka Trump) is so fixated on his EGO wall that there hasn't been one done.

Really sad that you all are (yeah just spend it) without any cost comparison of using different methods. Wow is all I have to say. And the people will say Trump and the GOP are at fault in 2020. Good luck.

That's what my problem has been with the stupid wall. 5.8 billion is not a trifling amount of money by any means and the 1.6 billion approved last Feb has not even been spent yet, it just sits there doing nothing. There's been no real plan provided with some specifics.

Exactly what type of barrier will it be? Will it be concrete or steel, will it be slates that you can see through or will it be similar to one of the eight 'waste-of-money million-dollar-each' prototypes? Where will it go and how much private land will have to be taken by eminent domain? How many of those land owners who don't want to give up their land will go to court and tie it up for years in a protracted court battle? What happens when the wall has to be erected along a winding river where the wall will actually have to be moved further inland relinquishing portions of privately owned ranches on the wrong side of the wall which would virtually draw a new U.S.-Mexico border giving that portion to the control of Mexico? How long is this project expected to take? How many more shutdowns will we be looking at in the future every time another 5 billion is needed until the wall if finished? Last but certainly not least, what's the bottom line, what is the projection of the final cost? Taking into consideration that the U.S. will be spending vast amounts of money just buying land from owners, considering the rise of the cost of steel or concrete, will the final figure be 40 billion, 60 billion, 100 billion or more?

The answer to all those questions has been. "We need the wall to stop illegals and drugs" Trump is supposedly a great 'deal maker'. But anyone in business knows that a project of this magnitude requires a real business plan. Where is that plan, what are the specifics? There should be an analysis, a quantitative and qualitative assessment of the project. Who will actually be doing the project or segments. Where is the material going to come from. Will people be bidding on the contract for construction? What will the economic and environmental impact be upon the landowners. How is all of this going to be regulated and exactly who will be regulating it in order to oversee where the money is spent and who is receiving the money?

So far, this is the answer to all our questions: "wall, we need a wall". Nope, that's not going to cut it.

Trump says he will give the State of the Union address but not until after the shutdown ends. But Trump doesn't realize that a continued shutdown is going to throw the U.S. into a recession and when that happens any chance of him winning re-election in 2020 goes down the drain. I've been saying since the first week of the shutdown that most people are just 2 paychecks away from bankruptcy. It's been 2 paychecks now. How are federal workers going to react this going on for possibly months?

https://wapo.st/2FJwj3x?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.19765f8240d2

The back and forth between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and President Donald Trump over when and where the State of the Union will be delivered -- if at all -- came to a conclusion, if temporary, late Wednesday night. Trump will not give a speech until after the partial government shutdown is over.

The president tweeted the news in a two-part missive just before midnight, saying, "As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over."

I particularly like how he framed it like the child he always is. It was HIS idea. Just like how no one quit because he FIRED them. :lol:

His flock of sheep are so gullible.

LOL

This is Trump's shut down, he said so.

Everyone understands tRump has twice changed his mind on a deal and that the DEm house has voted to reopen and the GOp refuses to act.

Meh... I'm getting on board with blaming McConnell at this point. Won't even allow the vote of bills on his desk. I think the dems House should just keep overloading his desk with bills to open the government.

Who gives a fu** about your little cost comparison?
A shining example of your typical supposed small government, eliminate wasteful spending conservative, ladies and gentleman.

The current 37% POTUS approval rating tells all we need to know as to who the American populace is holding responsible for the shutdown. end...of....story...

Who needs approval ratings?

The guy responsible for the shutdown already declared himself responsible:

“I will shut down the government. I am proud to shut down the government. I will be the one to shut it down. I am not going to blame you for it. I will take the mantle of shutting it down.”
-- Donald Trump, 12/21/18

Trump says he will give the State of the Union address but not until after the shutdown ends. But Trump doesn't realize that a continued shutdown is going to throw the U.S. into a recession and when that happens any chance of him winning re-election in 2020 goes down the drain. I've been saying since the first week of the shutdown that most people are just 2 paychecks away from bankruptcy. It's been 2 paychecks now. How are federal workers going to react this going on for possibly months?

The back and forth between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and President Donald Trump over when and where the State of the Union will be delivered -- if at all -- came to a conclusion, if temporary, late Wednesday night. Trump will not give a speech until after the partial government shutdown is over.

The president tweeted the news in a two-part missive just before midnight, saying, "As the Shutdown was going on, Nancy Pelosi asked me to give the State of the Union Address. I agreed. She then changed her mind because of the Shutdown, suggesting a later date. This is her prerogative - I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over."

Too bad. Apparently Trump is a much nicer person than I would have been. If it were me, I would have done the speech from the oval office and I would have not lied about the state of the union and sugar coated it. I would have told the truth that Democrats are nothing but the party of no and pure anti-Trump obstructionists who favor the resistance over border security and I would have cc'd the speech to Pelosi as she suggested. It would have been a great opportunity if done right. Either Trump is trying to portray himself as being nice or there is something in the works for a deal. Be interesting to see how the Senate vote goes.

I never said I was leaving the US in ten months, I said I was leaving WA state in 10 months, I’m researching job skills useful for living as an expat in Latin America in case intersectionalists gain full power though

You say that now but I wonder how many democrat house members will hold strong when the districts in NoVa and Maryland where the federal workers live start going into recession from lack of pay and the heat really picks up on those reps to end it. I think plenty of democrats might be willing to give 5 billion for a fence if their constituents are demanding to go back to work and don’t give a crap over 5B for a wall versus their salaries

It is amusing how our liberal friends want to ignore this reality.

Trump had a 20 billion offer from the Dems earmarked for the wall and turned it down.

Earnmarked but not funded.

Perhaps this scheme would work on a 12 year old cheerleader but we're wise to your tricks.

Ok, I personally think he should have done it in the Senate, or better yet, at freedom hall in Philadelphia..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A shining example of your typical supposed small government, eliminate wasteful spending conservative, ladies and gentleman.

Perhaps you missed the point that we could care less about your little cost comparison of a wall vs Dems idea of temporarily funding more border guards and drones because Dems could pull that border funding at any time when in power.

You know this but that won't stop you from playing your games.

It is amusing how our liberal friends want to ignore this reality.

This is reality.

“I will be proud to shut down the Government”

-President Donald J Trump

Earnmarked but not funded.

Perhaps this scheme would work on a 12 year old cheerleader but we're wise to your tricks.

citation the 20 billion wasn't funded ?

Too bad. Apparently Trump is a much nicer person than I would have been. If it were me, I would have done the speech from the oval office and I would have not lied about the state of the union and sugar coated it. I would have told the truth that Democrats are nothing but the party of no and pure anti-Trump obstructionists who favor the resistance over border security and I would have cc'd the speech to Pelosi as she suggested. It would have been a great opportunity if done right. Either Trump is trying to portray himself as being nice or there is something in the works for a deal. Be interesting to see how the Senate vote goes.

He can spin it any way he wants to spin it in any room of his choice whether it's the Oval Office or the Capital building in W. Virginia....his message will be the same as it would have been in the House. It would have been fully political and biased against Democrats. This is all on him. He started the shutdown, he has the power to end it today. End of story.

It's no illusion. His approval numbers have dropped to 37% since the shutdown commenced. His approval rating was 55% at this same time last year. He's the one that's responsible for starting it, he's the one that is responsible for continuing it, and he's the one that can end it today. Democrats will not be held responsible since Pelosi has stated numerous times that discussions will begin once the shutdown ends.

Pelosi is lying, she won’t discuss jack, the only way to get her to the bargaining table is to peel off democrats, we’ve already peeled six, need 11 more, and the shutdown is hurting and will continue to hurt voters in D districts and so they’ll be receiving more pressure.

Ok, I personally think he should have done it in the Senate, or better yet, at freedom hall in Philadelphia..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He should do it at the very top of Trump Tower, with drones and spotlights on him. :2razz:

Pelosi is lying, she won’t discuss jack, the only way to get her to the bargaining table is to peel off democrats, we’ve already peeled six, need 11 more, and the shutdown is hurting and will continue to hurt voters in D districts and so they’ll be receiving more pressure.

Read her words 'END THE SHUTDOWN, THEN WE TALK'. Nancy Pelosi has done much more than 'jack'. She has caused Trump's approval rating to crash from 55% the day of the shutdown to 37% today.

The phrase is "couldn't care less".

No "perhaps", you clearly missed my point.

Try it again.

Why would I possibly waste my time with someone who will ignore pertinent facts and twist anything I say into something it's not just so they an make some trivial partisan point?

Go bother someone else with your gibberish.

Why would I possibly waste my time with someone who will ignore pertinent facts and twist anything I say into something it's not just so they an make some trivial partisan point?

Go bother someone else with your gibberish.
I didn't ask you to waste your time. In fact, I didn't ask anything of you. I made a point. You chose to respond.

Do not blame me for your constant post failures in this thread.

Duh us! We thought all this time that he meant mantle but he really meant mantel all this time. (head slap)

ebeb19fd-fb6c-44ba-a029-b8db6afbfe57.png

imageedit-6-3796946562.gif

He can spin it any way he wants to spin it in any room of his choice whether it's the Oval Office or the Capital building in W. Virginia....his message will be the same as it would have been in the House. It would have been fully political and biased against Democrats. This is all on him. He started the shutdown, he has the power to end it today. End of story.

All of these speeches are sugar coated and political. It's a rah rah session where whenever the president says something, those from his party clap while the other party stays silent. It's been that way for a very long time. Trump would not have used the speech to attack Democrats if they negotiated in good faith regarding the border wall. It's ridiculous that they were for it under Obama and even built hundreds of miles of "fence" but under Trump they won't give him even one inch of fence.

Semantiics? Throwing away 5 billion that does nothing to a complete child of a president is semantics? LOL Sorry, everybody knows Trump and the repulbicans that somehow continue to protect him (fine, go down with the ship) are responsible.

Only people ever blaming democrats are dumb, fox news watching moron conservatives

The shutdown cost $6 billion per week. The Democratic Party has burned more than Trump wanted in this budget and now the Democratic Party as thrown away the entire cost of the 300 miles of barrier Trump wants to add to the 700 miles of the existing Pelosi-Schumer barrier. The question is how many billions and billions more will the Democratic Party burn to not have a wall and prove its highest loyalty is to non-Americans?

All of these speeches are sugar coated and political. It's a rah rah session where whenever the president says something, those from his party clap while the other party stays silent. It's been that way for a very long time. Trump would not have used the speech to attack Democrats if they negotiated in good faith regarding the border wall. It's ridiculous that they were for it under Obama and even built hundreds of miles of "fence" but under Trump they won't give him even one inch of fence.

That's what part of the problem was to begin with. Yes, the SOTU address is historically upbeat, hopeful and encouraging for everyone in the country, not just 45% of the people, or 65% of the people, but 100% of the country. History has shown that Trump has a difficult time sugar-coating anything and has a propensity for going off script and going on rant as he does at his rallies. It will be nothing more than political partisanship, finger pointing and blame naming. That's not all all what a SOTU speech is intended to be.

And you are wrong when you said "they won't give him even one inch of fence". Democrats are still willing to discuss government funds for additional border agents, enhanced technology and increased security infrastructure (fencing)— especially at ports of entry where most illegal drugs enter the country — but no wall funding.

Last edited:
Semantiics? Throwing away 5 billion that does nothing to a complete child of a president is semantics? LOL Sorry, everybody knows Trump and the repulbicans that somehow continue to protect him (fine, go down with the ship) are responsible.

Only people ever blaming democrats are dumb, fox news watching moron conservatives

Democrats have thrown away trillions, so spare us the BS.

Back
Top Bottom