• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Says He Rejected Graham’s Proposal to Reopen Government

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ams-proposal-to-reopen-government-11547477613

GOP senator backed allowing temporary reopening of government while border talks continue

Breaking News

*Trump says he rejected Sen. Graham’s proposal he reopen government temporarily while border security talks continue... [paywall]
======================================================
I fail to see his long term strategy here. His planned wall will not work as intended & would cost far more than the projected $5.7B. Meantime the country is suffering deeply.

At this point it's just a tug-of-war between Trump and Congressional Republicans for who will bear the blame for the shutdown.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ams-proposal-to-reopen-government-11547477613

GOP senator backed allowing temporary reopening of government while border talks continue

Breaking News

*Trump says he rejected Sen. Graham’s proposal he reopen government temporarily while border security talks continue... [paywall]
I fail to see his long term strategy here. His planned wall will not work as intended & would cost far more than the projected $5.7B. Meantime the country is suffering deeply.

I think his long term strategy is to not open the government until there is a line item in the appropriations for wall construction @ 5.7B.

At this point it's just a tug-of-war between Trump and Congressional Republicans for who will bear the blame for the shutdown.

And that's all this is to you and your ilk. Blame Trump for the shutdown but don't care so much about the welfare of the country.

Breaking News

This is interesting because Graham has been spouting lots of Russian Propaganda recently... Maybe this is Trumps way of "proving" he's not a Russian Asset.

Breaking News

Lindsay should stop fretting so much. Everyone with a working brain knows that Trump owns the shutdown. He said so himself.

The Democrats just have to show a piece of paper to Trump that says Wall money is in the bill, but then switch it out with the real New Green Deal.

And that's all this is to you and your ilk. Blame Trump for the shutdown but don't care so much about the welfare of the country.

When a bad thing happens it is often the case that a single person or group is responsible for it. If a mugger robs an innocent passerby, is it the fault of the mugger or is putting the fault onto the mugger just an example of playing "the blame game"?

Where did this "you and your ilk" thing come from that Republicans like to say so much? Did you all hear that on Tucker or something?

Lindsay should stop fretting so much. Everyone with a working brain knows that Trump owns the shutdown. He said so himself.

He can't b/c Trump gave Russia kinky sex tapes of gay sex horndog Lindsey Graham.

My mother had a saying that you made me think of; “ Why not get back into bed and get out again on the right side?”

Leave the grumpy pants in the closet, too.

The latter will, count on it.

Trump wants there to be so much pressure on the Republican senators that they just fold, reopen the government without him, and they become the ones blamed for caving in right-wing media.

I think his long term strategy is to not open the government until there is a line item in the appropriations for wall construction @ 5.7B.
IMO, if the house passes a non-wall spending bill and the Senate passes the non-wall spending bill, I think Trump will be hard pressed to veto it. Especially after the gov't has been temporally reopened.

Anything that is worthwhile should be done at any cost. Heck, for examples, dems want everyone to be taxed for healthcare and for people to pay higher premiums and have higher deductibles for the common good.. Dems want higher taxes to promote the reduction of carbon emissions.

Temporarily reopening the gov't only invites congress to further non-cooperation. Force the hand of congress to get something done. Keep the heat on congress. That's why they're yelping for a temp re-opening. Make congress move to agreement.

Last edited:

Trump wants there to be so much pressure on the Republican senators that they just fold, reopen the government without him, and they become the ones blamed for caving in right-wing media.

I can hear Hannity and Rush rejoicing already.

Those Hippies. :mrgreen:

My mother had a saying that you made me think of; “ Why not get back into bed and get out again on the right side?”

Leave the grumpy pants in the closet, too.

Your antidotes are not helpful. Tell me how just resisting Trump helps the country.

When you're a spectator at a Stalin-Hitler fist fight, either outcome will do (although even better would be if a grizzly bear entered the ring and mauled them both).

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with Republicans taking on the majority of the blame, if that's what ultimately ends up happening. Republicans have been using Trump as a lightning rod for far too long. It's super easy to blame Trump for everything, but the truth is he's only still there because of Congressional Republicans.

Breaking News

Physical barrier's do work! Nancy and Chuck can end this today for a very small cost. $5.5 billion.
They have the a small part of the government on furlough because they don't want President Trump to
have the funds to put more security on our Southern border.

When you're a spectator at a Stalin-Hitler fist fight, either outcome will do (although even better would be if a grizzly bear entered the ring and mauled them both).

To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with Republicans taking on the majority of the blame, if that's what ultimately ends up happening. Republicans have been using Trump as a lightning rod for far too long. It's super easy to blame Trump for everything, but the truth is he's only still there because of Congressional Republicans.
I want them to be the villains in this because they are.

Trump is simply doing what he's doing because Republicans have done this stuff in the past and gotten away with rewards. This wall fight just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back in the Democratic party, and it's taken the GOP (and me) by surprise, and it's why they're all acting so unhinged.

Breaking News

I'm not suffering a bit.

Physical barrier's do work! Nancy and Chuck can end this today for a very small cost. $5.5 billion.
They have the a small part of the government on furlough because they don't want President Trump to
have the funds to put more security on our Southern border.

I think the Dems bill does have funds for border security. Just not a wall.

Breaking News

The bigger question is why Graham thought Trump would accept the same non-deal he’d already rejected from Pelosi and Schumer. He just wanted his name in the papers.

They both do.

I want them to be the villains in this because they are.

Trump is simply doing what he's doing because Republicans have done this stuff in the past and gotten away with rewards. This wall fight just happened to be the straw that broke the camel's back in the Democratic party, and it's taken the GOP (and me) by surprise, and it's why they're all acting so unhinged.

Yup, you and I have been through this before, and it's been my position that Trump being on the other side of shutdown negotiations became too much to bear.

Back
Top Bottom