• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump Says He Plans to Deliver State of the Union Address Next Week in House Chamber

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ddress-next-week-in-house-chamber-11548264666

Pelosi had recommended the speech be delayed until shutdown ends

President Trump said Wednesday he planned to deliver the State of the Union address in the House chamber next week, disregarding the recommendation of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that he delay the speech until the government reopened.

“I look forward to seeing you on the evening [of] January 29th in the Chamber of the House of Representatives,” Mr. Trump wrote in a letter to Mrs. Pelosi, the California Democrat. “It would be so very sad for our Country if the State of the Union were not delivered on time, on schedule, and...[payweall]
=========================================
Interesting break with tradition. I had thought that the SOTU required the invitation of the Speaker.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ddress-next-week-in-house-chamber-11548264666

President Trump said Wednesday he planned to deliver the State of the Union address in the House chamber next week, disregarding the recommendation of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that he delay the speech until the government reopened.

“I look forward to seeing you on the evening [of] January 29th in the Chamber of the House of Representatives,” Mr. Trump wrote in a letter to Mrs. Pelosi, the California Democrat. “It would be so very sad for our Country if the State of the Union were not delivered on time, on schedule, and...[payweall]
Interesting break with tradition. I had thought that the SOTU required the invitation of the Speaker.

It requires both the House and Senate to pass a resolution. Pelosi can prevent such a resolution from being voted on by the House. Whether she will or not remains to be seen.

this would be an excellent moment for Pelosi to direct the entire video transmission system of the House be removed to a distant locale where it can be thoroughly tested for adequacy, and then returned to the chamber after the 29th

One had already been sent by the Speaker and it was accepted, according to the NY Post.

Let him deliver an advanced copy for independent fact checking. If it's his usual lie fest, bar him from the house floor. Sounds good to me.

It would be sad for our country? Why?

I think it should be delayed until the shutdown ends too. But Trump isn't a decent man, so there's that.

LOL! Unfortunately for Donnie, even when it's a powerful woman telling him 'no', there's nothing he can do if she continues to prevent him from having the SOTU at the House.

I find this whole squabble over the State of the Union some of the pettiest bickering in federal politics and that is saying quite a bit.

With the said, a State of the Union during a government shutdown seems silly. Open the government, hold the State of the Union and let's be done with it.

At this point in time I highly doubt I would listen to the State of the Union speach. In all my years I have never seen such childish behavior from a President and members of Congress. End the bickering. Open the government. Pass a budget and not some CR, Quit kicking the can down the road.

At this point in time I am dispointed with the President and Congress (both houses both sides). I will remember this shutdown when the 2020 election comes around.

I'll be honest, Trump shouldn't go to the House to give the State of the Union speech. He should do it at the border, practically a rally, and explain what he tried to do with the Democrats and why they're the obstructionists in this partial government shutdown over $5.7 billion for border wall funding. Then he should just declare a national emergency at the border so the wall goes up. Screw what the Democrats or any of their activists posing as judges say. He has the Constitutional authority to do it and they know this. If they don't, they need voted out immediately and replaced with people that do.

I find this whole squabble over the State of the Union some of the pettiest bickering in federal politics and that is saying quite a bit.

With the said, a State of the Union during a government shutdown seems silly. Open the government, hold the State of the Union and let's be done with it.

What would he say, in any case, about the state of our union?

"Oh, folks, everything's GREAT, believe me!"

I'll be honest, Trump shouldn't go to the House to give the State of the Union speech. He should do it at the border, practically a rally, and explain what he tried to do with the Democrats and why they're the obstructionists in this partial government shutdown over $5.7 billion for border wall funding. Then he should just declare a national emergency at the border so the wall goes up. Screw what the Democrats or any of their activists posing as judges say. He has the Constitutional authority to do it and they know this. If they don't, they need voted out immediately and replaced with people that do.

So, IOW, you simply want him to keep lying.

Pretty sure there was already a 100% chance of that happening.

Why do you hate the rule of law?

Its my guess that there will finally be some movement on ending the shutdown towards the end of the week. If not I like the optics of the Great Orange Fool standing in the House Chamber saying the state of the union is good in the middle of a shutdown. No matter what braggadocio self promotion he indulges in much will be made of his speech in the middle of a shutdown.

What would he say, in any case, about the state of our union?

"Oh, folks, everything's GREAT, believe me!"

Are you serious?

Lowest black unemployment in history. Lowest latino unemployment in history. Record number of people off welfare. Job market thriving. TRADE. TRADE. TRADE. Shall I go on ????

Nancy Pelosi responds. She is not going to allow the SOTU address in House chambers until the shutdown is ended.

GO NANCY!

Pelosi is currently steepling her fingers and saying "Excellent...."

Perhaps his entire speech should just be reading quotes of democrats that have given speeches on the dire need for border security, their votes for more walls and fences, their support of Obama's actions while deporting millions, images of the existing walls and border fencing, etc. He should be able to fill several hours and democrats wouldnt have to worry about fact checking their own words...just the side of their ass they are talking out of at the moment. Heck...maybe rather than just giving the speech he could play the video clips to help people understand that the shutdown is over 5.7 billion democrats refuse to fund over structures they previously voted for and built but today call evil and immoral.

Perhaps his entire speech should just be reading quotes of democrats that have given speeches on the dire need for border security

And then she can get up and read the Heritage Foundation's counter-proposal to Clinton's health care plan, a counter-proposal that is quite similar to another Democrat's heath care plan that had conservatives melting down for several years.

And she can then read all the bills the GOP-controlled house passed that didn't include the funding that was only magically needed once the Dems had swept the recent elections.

:shrug:

Think before you try playing The Hypocrisy Game. Glass houses and shotguns, etc.

There are no elections for over 18 months. But you are right Trump will not be giving the SOU in the House. The Speaker controls the microphones and the lights. If he thought he had the 'Constitutional authority" don't you think he would declare the "National emergency"? He knows he does not.

And then she can get up and read the Heritage Foundation's counter-proposal to Clinton's health care plan, a counter-proposal that is quite similar to another Democrat's heath care plan that had conservatives melting down for several years.

:shrug:

just so long as she is willing to read for a few hours to remove the president's address from prime time

She did invite him

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Open or closed I see no reason to delay the speech.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Perhaps his entire speech should just be reading quotes of democrats that have given speeches on the dire need for border security, their votes for more walls and fences, their support of Obama's actions while deporting millions, images of the existing walls and border fencing, etc. He should be able to fill several hours and democrats wouldnt have to worry about fact checking their own words...just the side of their ass they are talking out of at the moment. Heck...maybe rather than just giving the speech he could play the video clips to help people understand that the shutdown is over 5.7 billion democrats refuse to fund over structures they previously voted for and built but today call evil and immoral.

LOL If Trump did that he would be admitting that he is lying about the Dems wanting "open borders". Trump should talk about how he is endangering our national security by insisting on a unpopular, expensive largely unbuildable barrier that no experts think will be effective or worth the expense. Meanwhile the public servants charged with protecting us are going without pay.

Open are closed I see no reason to delay the speech.
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Trump can make all the speeches he wants. But a State of the Union when the Union is so broken to not even have a working government because of pettiness seems rather silly.

Open the government, give the speech. Done.

Back
Top Bottom