• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says, he never said Mexico would write a check to pay for the wall!

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
That is actually true in a way. Trump never said that Mexico would pay for the wall via check, but he did say over and over and over and over again that Mexico would pay for the wall. OF course he is know trying to say he never really said any such thing. I know many of his defenders are saying that Trump saying Mexico would pay for the wall was just political speech, but how do they get around the fact that he is now trying to say he never said Mexico would pay for the wall at all?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
That is actually true in a way. Trump never said that Mexico would pay for the wall via check, but he did say over and over and over and over again that Mexico would pay for the wall. OF course he is know trying to say he never really said any such thing. I know many of his defenders are saying that Trump saying Mexico would pay for the wall was just political speech, but how do they get around the fact that he is now trying to say he never said Mexico would pay for the wall at all?

Not "in a way", this is a completely True statement.

Stealers Wheel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Oh, let's parse words, shall we?

Where did anyone get the dumb idea that Mexico was going to pay for the wall? That's the most ridiculous idea ever! And anyone who suggests that Trump ever even hinted that Mexico was going to pay for the wall is clearly out of their minds.

Trump never claimed that any other presidents have secretly endorsed his building of the wall.

Trump never claimed he would proudly own the government shutdown and not blame the House Democratic Leadership.

Furthermore, Trump never ever uttered the words "grab 'em by the *****." Never happened.

And he never claimed to own any winery, let alone one of the largest in the country.

Trump has never met Paul Manafort, Michael Cohen, or Michael Flynn. He couldn't pick any of them out of a lineup.

Trump never claimed that he, and he alone, could accomplish anything as president.

Parrish

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
His base believed him.

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Not "in a way", this is a completely True statement.

Well, Trump said in a memo to Costa and Woodward that Mexico would indeed write a check, and he outlined the pressure points he'd use to make them do it. Or Mexico or their citizens would pay directly, through higher visa fees. I'd quote it but it's an image, and I can't quote an image. You can see the memo below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps...to-pay-for-border-wall/2007/?tid=a_inl_manual

So he said Mexico would pay for the wall I'm guessing 100 times or more, and wrote a memo explaining how he'd make them pay directly for the wall, but now you're telling us it's false that Trump ever said such a thing. We used to be better, and called lies what they are.

Here's an article discussing the memo:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/tru...r-the-wall-contradicting-campaign-pledge.html

But on the campaign trail, Trump appeared to make that argument. A March 2016 memo to Washington Post reporters explained multiple ways to "compel Mexico" to "make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion" to keep the U.S. from cutting off the spigot of money it already sends to Mexico annually.

I don't think you're parsing words so that 'writing a check' is distinguishable from, different than, a "one time payment." Right?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well, Trump said in a memo to Costa and Woodward that Mexico would indeed write a check, and he outlined the pressure points he'd use to make them do it. Or Mexico or their citizens would pay directly, through higher visa fees. I'd quote it but it's an image, and I can't quote an image. You can see the memo below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps...to-pay-for-border-wall/2007/?tid=a_inl_manual

So he said Mexico would pay for the wall I'm guessing 100 times or more, and wrote a memo explaining how he'd make them pay directly for the wall, but now you're telling us it's false that Trump ever said such a thing. We used to be better, and called lies what they are.

Here's an article discussing the memo:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/10/tru...r-the-wall-contradicting-campaign-pledge.html

I don't think you're parsing words so that 'writing a check' is distinguishable from, different than, a "one time payment." Right?

Obviously I was unaware before now of what is apparently a single message sent to WP personnel....if that turns up in evidence then we would need to decide if he lied or not......I heard him talk about this many many times and I never understood him as saying that Mexico would be expected to send money for a "one time payment for the wall". ....I am certain that he never lied to me.

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Obviously I was unaware before now of what is apparently a single message sent to WP personnel....if that turns up in evidence then we would need to decide if he lied or not......I heard him talk about this many many times and I never understood him as saying that Mexico would be expected to send money for a "one time payment for the wall". ....I am certain that he never lied to me.

Like I said, we used to be better.

You're parsing his words now, and pretending he didn't mean what he said, 100 times or more. The memo from TRUMP tell us how he'd do it. FWIW, the memo has been in evidence since April 5, 2016, when WaPo printed it, and wrote an article based on the memo, in 2016 during the campaign. It would be amazing if WaPo forged this memo and we didn't hear about the forgery during the campaign when it was printed.

Trump is a liar. I don't know why you're defending his obvious lies. If a memo from Trump that he's now denying knowledge of, denying what he said in that memo in writing isn't enough, what would be?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Like I said, we used to be better.

You're parsing his words now, and pretending he didn't mean what he said, 100 times or more. The memo from TRUMP tell us how he'd do it. FWIW, the memo has been in evidence since April 5, 2016, when WaPo printed it, and wrote an article based on the memo, in 2016 during the campaign. It would be amazing if WaPo forged this memo and we didn't hear about the forgery during the campaign when it was printed.

Trump is a liar. I don't know why you're defending his obvious lies. If a memo from Trump that he's now denying knowledge of, denying what he said in that memo in writing isn't enough, what would be?

Trump talked to me many many times, and I always felt like I understood him and I never had the idea that mexico was ever going to send a check or anything remotely like a check so I dont feel like he lied to me.

This is where I stand, if it is a different place from where you stand then you need to figure out how to deal with this reality.

Work it out.

MomentOfZen

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

President Trump has mentioned Mexico paying by a check as far back as April 2016.

April 13, 2016. Method: Maybe a check.

“You know, the politicians say, ‘They’ll never pay...’” Trump said during a live event with Fox News' Sean Hannity. “100 percent,” he assured the cheering audience.

“They’re not going to write us a check, but...” Hannity replied.

“They’ll pay. They’ll pay. In one form or another," Trump said. "They may even write us a check by the time they see what happens.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...tape/?noredirect=on&__twitter_impression=true

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
President Trump has mentioned Mexico paying by a check as far back as April 2016.

April 13, 2016. Method: Maybe a check.

“You know, the politicians say, ‘They’ll never pay...’” Trump said during a live event with Fox News' Sean Hannity. “100 percent,” he assured the cheering audience.

“They’re not going to write us a check, but...” Hannity replied.

“They’ll pay. They’ll pay. In one form or another," Trump said. "They may even write us a check by the time they see what happens.”

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...tape/?noredirect=on&__twitter_impression=true

Your mileage may vary, I have told you what I think and what I think he said as he was asking for votes and asking to lead The Rebellion......, I dont have anything else to give.

Threegoofs

In mourning for Turtledude
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Trump talked to me many many times, and I always felt like I understood him and I never had the idea that mexico was ever going to send a check or anything remotely like a check so I dont feel like he lied to me.

This is where I stand, if it is a different place from where you stand then you need to figure out how to deal with this reality.

Work it out.

Jesus.

He literally said it.

Twitter

How do people end up like this, denying the existence of the very nose on their face? Sad.

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Work it out.

There's nothing to work out. Trump was admirably clear and direct about how he'd make Mexico pay for the wall, directly, including ways he could force them to make a direct payment of $5-$10 billion. Today he denied ever suggesting something that he put on paper, in a memo, and that he said in various ways I'm guessing at least 100 times on the campaign trail. So he lied.

What you understood him to mean (not having seen the memo) doesn't change the existence of the memo, or what he said in it. In other words, there is an objective truth here, and your (mis)understanding of what he said doesn't change objective truth into something else.

JasperL

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Jesus.

He literally said it.

Twitter

How do people end up like this, denying the existence of the very nose on their face? Sad.

It's kind of fascinating in a morbid, frightening way. And if you're going to do it, do it right. SAD!

:peace

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Jesus.

He literally said it.

Twitter

Taking Trump literally is where so many go wrong, he clearly does not want you to take him literally, he is literally ****ing with you trying to wake you up.

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Work it out.

Do you hear voices in your head? Is that how Trump talks to you? Where exactly do you stand? Are you just another trump cultist or maybe a Russian Troll, just asking?

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do you hear voices in your head? Is that how Trump talks to you? Where exactly do you stand? Are you just another trump cultist or maybe a Russian Troll, just asking?

??????????

I have given up those who cant/wont man up and make statements for the New Year.

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Taking Trump literally is where so many go wrong, he clearly does not want you to take him literally, he is literally ****ing with you trying to wake you up.

I think you need to wake up. You have been deceived and you can not let yourself go there. You see yourself as being too smart to have been deceived so you have to believe anything and everything trump tells you including he was not lying when he told you and the rest of his followers that he would get Mexico to pay for the wall. Kind of feel sorry .

MomentOfZen

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Yes, if there is one quality I want in my President it is for me to not take him literally whenever he speaks.

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I think you need to wake up. You have been deceived and you can not let yourself go there. You see yourself as being too smart to have been deceived so you have to believe anything and everything trump tells you including he was not lying when he told you and the rest of his followers that he would get Mexico to pay for the wall. Kind of feel sorry .

What is sorry is how you clearly demand that people agree with you.....it is clearly deeply troubling to you when that does not happen.

You were supposed to get better than this.

Diversity and Freedom are big deals.

Please support them.

Last edited:

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Yes, if there is one quality I want in my President it is for me to not take him literally whenever he speaks.

Trump was never that guy, he is better understood as a performance artist...a very very good one.

Top Bottom