• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says he is suing Twitter, Facebook, Google and CEOs Dorsey, Zuckerberg, Pichai

In the category of stupidest lawsuits, the former president goes all in and is suing facebook, google and twitter for... get this... violations of the 1st amendment... LMAO...

".......who has a history of not following through on lawsuits....."

Just more hot air bluster, as usual.

i love this stuff.

a yankee con man got the small government conservatives to drop they drawers once again.

It's their platform that they don't charge users -- but users have to follow the rules (term of service.)
If I walk into Trump Tower and become a disturbance, they can throw me out of the door. Likewise, Trump was a disturbance and posting dangerous content. Twitter threw him out the door.
Trump Tower is not a monopoly.

But the reality is that the information is gathered and disseminated by three like-minded people and they can censor or promote whatever they choose. They also, through Google, control much of the past. They will have you thinking whatever they want you to think, and are doing it now.

Trump may or may not win this Quixotic attempt but it should bring the issue to the public and to the new Congress. It's a monopoly.
This is Twitter's statement on the Trump ban, which seems reasonable.

Twitter ban of Trump.png

But the reality is that the information is gathered and disseminated by three like-minded people and they can censor or promote whatever they choose. They also, through Google, control much of the past. They will have you thinking whatever they want you to think, and are doing it now.

Trump may or may not win this Quixotic attempt but it should bring the issue to the public and to the new Congress. It's a monopoly.
Are American conspiracy theories popular in Canada?

They may do what they did with other former monopolies, such as Standard Oil and AT&T., That's the end game.

Do you think that having a near monopoly on news and opinion serves the public interest?

Do you use Facebook or Twitter as your news sources?

Should Apple and Microsoft be broken up. They are near monopolies for computer operating systems?

I don't do facebook or twitter. So I don't really care what their policies are.

were you a small government conservative before you turned into what you are now?

Trump Tower is not a monopoly.
Neither are those social media websites. Just like Hollywood doesn't have a monopoly on movies nor does Nashville have a monopoly on country music. Those places are simply highly popular for those particular things.

Control of information is essential to any totalitarian system but anathema to a Democracy.
Do you know how the Internet works at all? Why is anyone getting their news from Twitter or Facebook or other social media sources when there are thousands of other sites for them to go to?

Control of information is essential to any totalitarian system but anathema to a Democracy.
Can the GOP break its addiction to show biz? | TheHill

Facebook is a capitalist organization that is exercising its FREE SPEECH by not allowing fraudulent claims (lies) to be posted in its online format. That's the way that it works under the First Amendment in this USA democracy.

JohnBarron001
I have no doubt that if Donald Trump started an account here his username would definitely be PresidentDonaldTrump or something very much like that. There is no way he would not call himself by his own name.

I'm not sure of the character limit for names here but I could see him doing something like this "The Greatest, Best, Smartest, Sanest President Trump, Everyone Knows It and that I'm the Most Wonderful. Everybody Loves Me"

I have no doubt that if Donald Trump started an account here his username would definitely be PresidentDonaldTrump or something very much like that. There is no way he would not call himself by his own name.

I'm not sure of the character limit for names here but I could see him doing something like this "The Greatest, Best, Smartest, Sanest President Trump, Everyone Knows It and that I'm the Most Wonderful. Everybody Loves Me"
he'd have 5 accounts.

Do you use Facebook or Twitter as your news sources?

Should Apple and Microsoft be broken up. They are near monopolies for computer operating systems?

I don't do facebook or twitter. So I don't really care what their policies are.
No, I don't use them.

An argument for Apple and Microsoft could be made and, if it is ever in the public interest, that could happen.

You should care about their policies because they are the only source of information for a growing number of adolescent people. They really are indistinguishable from TikTok, a CCP company.

No, I don't use them.

An argument for Apple and Microsoft could be made and, if it is ever in the public interest, that could happen.

You should care about their policies because they are the only source of information for a growing number of adolescent people. They really are indistinguishable from TikTok, a CCP company.
So if this site is my main source of information, of news, should it be treated like Facebook and Twitter? Should it be required to never be able to ban or suspend or punish anyone for breaking the rules? What if the only source of information for people is Westboro Baptist Church's website or FOX news comments or Frank!? Should those sites be required to not be able to enforce their rules too?

Seriously.

Some thoughtful and rational people (both Dems & Republicans) quietly acknowledge that there needs to be a conversation on the matter of the First Amendment vs. Big Tech (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

The Internet is a relatively new way of communication. Some people feel that it may no longer be appropriate to compare the Internet to privately owned newspapers that can decide what to print and not to print. They point out that anyone can print a newspaper, but it is much more difficult to start one's own website. Furthermore, some people believe that maybe a monopoly comes into play here when discussing Big Tech.

I agree that Mr. Trump's lawsuit will fail (as will Florida's new law on the subject), but maybe in the long rule, such lawsuits may eventually lead to some kind of compromise so that no message board can ban a sitting President or, for that matter, doctors who have certain views about the current pandemic.
I don't know how this particular lawsuit will go but I certainly agree with the bulk of this comment.

There are other search engines to use other than Google, there are other social media sites not owned by Facebook

They just happen to be the most dominant ones currently, that can change fairly quickly, how many people remember MySpace or Yahoo

Neither are those social media websites. Just like Hollywood doesn't have a monopoly on movies nor does Nashville have a monopoly on country music. Those places are simply highly popular for those particular things.
That's a common enough argument that will be introduced in Congress and perhaps SCOTUS. The crux of the argument is often whether a company is predatory, if they destroy any competition. That has already happened against this group.

Good for Trump....the sorry ass, un-American Libs and Commies who run these companies need some suing!!!

Why? Trump repeatedly violated the ToS and was given more rope than most people because he was president. The 1st Amendment applies to the government, not corporations providing a free service.

Do you know how the Internet works at all? Why is anyone getting their news from Twitter or Facebook or other social media sources when there are thousands of other sites for them to go to?
Do you recall what happened to Parler?

Back
Top Bottom