• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump says he has 'incredible relationship' with Xi

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...dible-relationship-with-xi-idUSKCN1O03SL?il=0

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he had an “incredible relationship” with Chinese President Xi Jinping before the start of a meeting between the two leaders on Saturday.

“The relationship is very special. The relationship that I have with President Xi, I think that’s going to be a very primary reason we’ll probably ending up getting something good for China and good for the United States, so we very much appreciate it,” Trump said, referring to trade.
==============================================
I hope we do get something good from China as they have been eating our lunch for years.

Would that be Stormy Daniels special ?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...dible-relationship-with-xi-idUSKCN1O03SL?il=0

BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said he had an “incredible relationship” with Chinese President Xi Jinping before the start of a meeting between the two leaders on Saturday.

“The relationship is very special. The relationship that I have with President Xi, I think that’s going to be a very primary reason we’ll probably ending up getting something good for China and good for the United States, so we very much appreciate it,” Trump said, referring to trade.
I hope we do get something good from China as they have been eating our lunch for years.

All they agreed on was postponing the tarriffs until next year. trump is still planning on increasing tarriffs on Chinese goods from 10% to 25%. What does he expect China to do? Of course they will retaliate and impose tarriffs on US goods. If it is OK for trump to protect American businesses then it is perfectly OK for other countries to protect their countries businesses.

So much winning. trump promised to build a tower in Moscow and give a $50 million penthouse to his best friend Putin. He also discussed building apartments, resorts and golf clubs in North Korea. Wonder what he promised Kim Jon Ung?

Looks like their meeting has set the table for further productive negotiation, as well as some immediate benefit for both sides. Here's part of what they agreed on:

On Trade, President Trump has agreed that on January 1, 2019, he will leave the tariffs on $200 billion worth of product at the 10% rate, and not raise it to 25% at this time. China will agree to purchase a not yet agreed upon, but very substantial, amount of agricultural, energy, industrial, and other product from the United States to reduce the trade imbalance between our two countries. China has agreed to start purchasing agricultural product from our farmers immediately.

President Trump and President Xi have agreed to immediately begin negotiations on structural changes with respect to forced technology transfer, intellectual property protection, non-tariff barriers, cyber intrusions and cyber theft, services and agriculture. Both parties agree that they will endeavor to have this transaction completed within the next 90 days. If at the end of this period of time, the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the 10% tariffs will be raised to 25%.

https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-statement-from-the-press-secretary-regarding-t-1830800077

President Trump realizes that President Xi is a dictator who changed Communist Party rules to let him run for a possible third term.

So our president knows that President Xi understands only one thing: Standing up to him.

In many ways, China -- like Russia -- is a paper tiger. (Some years back, Vietnam chased invading Chinese troops back into China.)

If some nations actually stood up to bullies like China and Russia, they would back down. After all, chaos could bring down Messrs. Xi and Putin.

President Trump knows how far he can trust his "friend" Xi. Our president is one smart cookie.

Trump says he has 'incredible relationship' with Xi

I dont know if I would have worded it quite like that.....just makes it seem all dirty and wrong.

Not judging though....;)

He has to big up Xi because his old bestest buds are hanging out with each other this time around. Even Theresa May didn't hold his hand!

No other world leader, including our president, has a relationship with the Chinese, because they are who they are. Having said that, I suppose most understand that, what a world leader says in public to officially butter up another, has little to do with what is going on behind the scene. It is a diplomatic game they are playing. All juicy gossip aside, that is.

Looks like their meeting has set the table for further productive negotiation, as well as some immediate benefit for both sides. Here's part of what they agreed on:

Could be productive, but the Chinese are not stupid. With all the anti Trump rhetoric going on in this country, and the upcoming changes in the house, I bet they are biding their time. We will have to see if the dems in the house are pro America of pro China. What happens when they take office will be on them. A good thing, imho, and a lot to think about before 2020.

All they agreed on was postponing the tarriffs until next year. trump is still planning on increasing tarriffs on Chinese goods from 10% to 25%. What does he expect China to do? Of course they will retaliate and impose tarriffs on US goods. If it is OK for trump to protect American businesses then it is perfectly OK for other countries to protect their countries businesses.

The longest journey is begun with but a single step.

So much winning. trump promised to build a tower in Moscow and give a $50 million penthouse to his best friend Putin. He also discussed building apartments, resorts and golf clubs in North Korea. Wonder what he promised Kim Jon Ung?

What are you talking about? Are you wearing a tin foil hat?

President Trump realizes that President Xi is a dictator who changed Communist Party rules to let him run for a possible third term.

So our president knows that President Xi understands only one thing: Standing up to him.

In many ways, China -- like Russia -- is a paper tiger. (Some years back, Vietnam chased invading Chinese troops back into China.)

If some nations actually stood up to bullies like China and Russia, they would back down. After all, chaos could bring down Messrs. Xi and Putin.

President Trump knows how far he can trust his "friend" Xi. Our president is one smart cookie.

I can't think of many folks in history that I'd prefer as a negotiator for my interests than Trump.

Beats the crap outta Chamberlain.

He has to big up Xi because his old bestest buds are hanging out with each other this time around. Even Theresa May didn't hold his hand!

She's too busy trying to undo Brexit.

Could be productive, but the Chinese are not stupid. With all the anti Trump rhetoric going on in this country, and the upcoming changes in the house, I bet they are biding their time. We will have to see if the dems in the house are pro America of pro China. What happens when they take office will be on them. A good thing, imho, and a lot to think about before 2020.

With absolutely no doubt whatever, if it hurts Trump, the Dems will stage a parade for Xi every day all day until the next election.

I think Xi's aim is to outlast Trump without making significant changes.

I think Xi is thinking more about whether Trump wins another term as President or is impeached, though Xi must be aware that impeachment probably won't result in Trump not being President.

Trump is aware of this, hence the time limits put in place.

Here's what a local ag teacher and farmer said about how the tariffs are effecting the family farm here in Indiana when I asked her about it. Sounds like some farms are going to go belly up in a year two if this idiocy keeps up.

Soybean prices dropped ~$2/bushel when China slowed down their business with the US. Luckily, **** had forward contracted this year's crop so we personally didn't take a financial hit.

China, however, has been investing in land and infrastructure in South America, so our prediction is that prices will never return to the $10-$10.50 range that is profitable for most farms. If prices hold as they are now, we will lose $50,000 next year....good for aquaculture/livestock producers, bad for crop producers!

Last edited:

Trump is a little bombastic and seems determined to ever present an optimistic outlook even where optimism seems unwarranted. I sort of admire that about Trump, although I know disappointments will come and critics will forever be finding fault with every little thing he says and does. Critics should stop being such relentless crybabies and ill-spirited critics of their opponents all the time. Such whining and complaining gets tiresome for others who have better dispositions.

Back
Top Bottom