• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump' s character will be his downfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the attacks on Trump's character stem from the hatred of his attackers. If they didn't hate him, his character wouldn't matter. So instead of damning Trump for his character, we should be asking ourselves why he is hated so much.

(hint: He isn't hated because of his character)

Obviously nothing to see here. His lynch mob ads on the Central Park Five, spreading false info on black on white homicide, birtherism, calling Mexican migrants rapists, stiffing his suppliers, calling people names, his documented lies, his attempts to break the law regarding refugees... nothing to do with character, yet I find him odious. Strange.

You act like a true believer; I think you are more contrarian than anything else. Your statement that Trump is focused on ALL of America, I find incredulous.......

Perhaps you are looking more at what people are saying...you know, about his character and such...than actually looking at what he's doing.

All of the attacks on Trump's character stem from the hatred of his attackers. If they didn't hate him, his character wouldn't matter. So instead of damning Trump for his character, we should be asking ourselves why he is hated so much.

Generally it's because he's crass and tactless. It's why he's been generally disliked before he became president. In the NY area he was always a bit of a joke because most people understood him to be a braggart. There are a variety of ways to handle situations: you can choose to work with people, or being demanding and obstinate and create an environment where no one does want to work with you. He seems to always choose the latter. People generally don't like people who are confrontational for everything.

Not true at all. I would severely criticize any US president that betrayed a staunch US ally such as Trump has betrayed our Kurdish allies in Syria.

Leaving our allies surrounded on 3 sides by their enemies is abject perfidy. And there is no reason for such a helter-skelter withdrawal. We were doing just fine with a very small boot-print in Syria.

Treachery is treachery, no matter the party affiliation of the president.

You are quoting Goldberg but attributing these words to me. I did not write them. And I'm also not interested in getting into the weeds in this thread over our Kurdish allies.

Trump is an outsider in Washington, he's not a politician, that's why they hate him. He's doing things his own way and they don't like it.

He is blowing DC up, like his supporters wanted. That's what the Russians wanted too. And then people wonder what possible reason the Russians had to want to help Trump get elected. Why they just wanted to Make America Great Again, right?

Perhaps you are looking more at what people are saying...you know, about his character and such...than actually looking at what he's doing.

There are reasons why over 150 high ranking people have left his administration in less than two years.

So much winning! What accomplishments are you most pleased with?

I other words you admire liars and cheats and those that don't are just "haters". :lamo

I don't disagree with that. I also don't deny that there is such a malady as "Trump Derangement Syndrome." "_____ Derangement Syndrome" began with Bush 43, and the Obama version was horrible and stupid and this Trump version just frothing-at-the-mouth insane.

But what you aren't talking about are the regular folks like you and me who also have opinions and reasons for them that have nothing at all to do with power or clout. Trying to stifle or deny that there are valid criticisms to be made of Trump and insisting on a knee-jerk defense is just as irrational as those whose hatred of Trump is unreasoning and pathological. As Goldberg says in his article:

Weirdly, it’s gotten to the point that when I say President Trump is not a man of good character, I feel like I should preface it with a trigger warning for many of my fellow conservatives.

Most of the angry responses are clearly rooted in the fact that they do not wish to be reminded of this obvious truth. But others seem to have convinced themselves that Trump is a man of good character, and they take personal offense at the insult, even though I usually offer it as little more than an observation. They rush to rebut the claim, citing banal or debatable propositions: He loves his children! He’s loyal to a fault! He’s authentic! Never mind that many bad men love their children, that loyalty to people or causes unworthy of loyalty is not admirable, and that authentic caddishness is not admirable. Moreover, he is not remotely loyal to his wives or the people who work for him.

What’s most worrisome is that these defenders are redefining good character in Trump’s image, and they end up modeling it.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/trump-character-will-be-his-downfall/

You are being influenced by the attackers. You are doing your part in the strategy of the people who are threatened by Trump.

They call you their useful idiots.

You are quoting Goldberg but attributing these words to me. I did not write them. And I'm also not interested in getting into the weeds in this thread over our Kurdish allies.

Not weed-whacking here; but I’m wondering if the Kurds consider themselves allies today.......

It took national review all these years to work that out? Like I've said, Trump is a vile swine, though perhaps I should not insult bacon seeds that rudely.

However, after years of craven GOP behavior, I have no reason to suspect Trump's character will cause his downfall, at least in the sense of getting booted from the oval office. The Dems do not have enough votes to convict after impeachment, and the GOP is spineless. They most any of them do is squawk a bit as they retire, so as to avoid having to tarnish their legacy in their own minds by meaningfully standing against Trump and his policies.

Of course, any past crimes he has committed may cause a different sort of downfall later on, but then we have to wait for Mueller to wrap up before we find out about that. And those crimes would certainly stem from his character. It's not like if he stole, he could blame it on starvation by poverty or something.

I suspect his legacy will be that of a national embarrassment, and the rabidity of his supporters indicative of those strange moments in human history when a society seems to lose its mind.

shrug...

Whatever floats your boat.

As I said, the "character" thing stems from hatred. My question is, why the hatred.

I can't answer your question. Because I don't hate Trump, I don't understand your opinion that questioning or criticizing character failings stem from hatred. Do we not consider others' character failings as well as our own? Rhetorical question to which you already know the answer.

Obviously nothing to see here. His lynch mob ads on the Central Park Five, spreading false info on black on white homicide, birtherism, calling Mexican migrants rapists, stiffing his suppliers, calling people names, his documented lies, his attempts to break the law regarding refugees... nothing to do with character, yet I find him odious. Strange.

shrug...

The Trump haters love you. They call you their useful idiot. You are helping them get rid of Trump so THEY can keep their money and power.

Own your role.

I can't answer your question. Because I don't hate Trump, I don't understand your opinion that questioning or criticizing character failings stem from hatred. Do we not consider others' character failings as well as our own? Rhetorical question to which you already know the answer.

Did you hate Obama's character as much as you do Trump's? I doubt it. And yet, Obama's character was whole levels worse than Trump's.

So...you should ask yourself why you hate Trump's character so much. I contend it is because of influence from the people who hate Trump because of the threat he poses to them.

I other words you admire liars and cheats and those that don't are just "haters". :lamo

I don't speak "in other words". I speak my own words.

But hey...you are welcome to those other words if you want them.

Many of the liberal critics shrieking about the betrayal of the Kurds implicit in Trump’s decision to withdraw from Syria would be applauding if a President Clinton had made the same decision.

I just love being told what I think.

:roll:

Despite proving the adage about broken clocks correct in this instance, the National Review can get stuffed.

Did you hate Obama's character as much as you do Trump's?

The one person who keeps using that word - "hate" - is you. Has it occurred to you that if you think everyone else around you is so hateful, it's possible that everyone else is not hateful, and the perceived problem actually lies elsewhere?

^
Rhetorical question. I am telling you to consider other reasons why you might conclude everyone else is hateful when they are in fact not.

The one person who keeps using that word - "hate" - is you. Has it occurred to you that if you think everyone else around you is so hateful, it's possible that everyone else is not hateful, and the perceived problem actually lies elsewhere?

^
Rhetorical question. I am telling you to consider other reasons why you might conclude everyone else is hateful when they are in fact not.

Have you consumed any mainstream media lately? There's your Trump hatred.

So says Jonah Goldberg, who writes:

Nearly all of the controversies that have bedeviled Trump’s administration are the direct result of his character, not his ideology. To be sure, ideology plays a role, amplifying both the intensity of anger from his left-wing critics and the intensity of his transactional defenders. Many of the liberal critics shrieking about the betrayal of the Kurds implicit in Trump’s decision to withdraw from Syria would be applauding if a President Clinton had made the same decision. And many of the conservatives celebrating the move would be condemning it.

But Trump’s refusal to listen to advisers, his inability to bite his tongue, his demonization and belittling of senators who vote for his agenda but refuse to keep quiet when he does or says things they disagree with, his rants against the First Amendment, his praise for dictators and insults for allies, his need to create new controversies to eclipse old ones, and his inexhaustible capacity to lie and fabricate history: All of this springs from his character. https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/trump-character-will-be-his-downfall/

Yep. Since Trump's election I have been shouting that his character, his obnoxious persona, personalty, his very unpresidential behavior would drive folks away from him that supported him during the election. I think the midterms proved that. Independents, the more or less non-partisans, the non-affiliated, neither pro or anti Trumper deserted him and the GOP. Remember only 42% of independents voted for Hillary Clinton in 2016, but 54% this midterm voted for the Democratic congressional candidates. That's a 12 point swing. On inauguration day, 48% of independents gave Trump a favorable rating, today, only 38% do. Most of that drop is based on his character, his personality more suited as a wrestler in the WWE than the occupant of the oval office.

Those who disapprove of Trump, only 16% base their disapproval on his policies, 65% on character concerns. At least according to Gallup.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/214091...utm_content=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

Trump's character, his uncouth personality, his obnoxiousness, his temper tantrum throwing and name calling like a five year old kid whose parents failed to teach him any manners grates on most folks who aren't avid Trumpers. Trump is a very easy man to dislike and it is showing. If Trump gets into trouble, he hasn't built up any good will among the populace as a whole to back him like Reagan and Bill Clinton did.

shrug...

The Trump haters love you. They call you their useful idiot. You are helping them get rid of Trump so THEY can keep their money and power.

Own your role.

I do. I don’t like lying crooks. Look, we can enter into useful dialog. Do you have any comments on the various issues involving Trump that I mentioned?

Did you hate Obama's character as much as you do Trump's? I doubt it. And yet, Obama's character was whole levels worse than Trump's.

So...you should ask yourself why you hate Trump's character so much. I contend it is because of influence from the people who hate Trump because of the threat he poses to them.

You've made a lot of ridiculously stupid and false statements posting here, but that surpasses your usual delusions. There's literally no objective way you'd convince anyone not on your level of lack of sanity that it's even an argument.:roll:

You are being influenced by the attackers. You are doing your part in the strategy of the people who are threatened by Trump.

They call you their useful idiots.

Well, if refusing to criticize Trump when he has earned criticism makes me a "useful idiot," I don't care. And no, Mycroft, I am simply willing to see things as they are. I don't hate Trump; neither do I have a crush on him that forces me to knee-jerk defend his every action or inaction. He's my President, not my boyfriend (and my boyfriends all had flaws too just as I did and do).

I wish you could see that by refusing to be reasonable, by refusing to allow even a conservative to speak honestly--not hysterically, as so many do Trump-haters do--you are blinding yourself. What you're really saying here is that if I don't agree with your opinion that all criticism stems from hatred of the man, I am a useful idiot for "them." But Truth doesn't have a "side."

I do. I don’t like lying crooks. Look, we can enter into useful dialog. Do you have any comments on the various issues involving Trump that I mentioned?

No. I've already put those comments in their proper place with my first post in this thread.

You have no idea at all what my opinion of Obama and his character is, so now you're just inventing. And despite my saying that I don't hate Trump, you nevertheless have decided that I hate Trump's character. So I will just wait for you to tell me what I think and believe. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom