• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump, Ryan say they are ‘totally committed’ to uniting their party

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan struck a conciliatory tone after meeting in Washington Thursday, seeking to ease tensions that flared last week when Ryan said he is not ready to endorse the business mogul in his bid for the White House.

“While we were honest about our few differences, we recognize that there are also many important areas of common ground,” Trump and Ryan (R-Wis.) said in a joint statement shortly after their meeting at the Republican National Committee headquarters on Capitol Hill. “We will be having additional discussions, but remain confident there’s a great opportunity to unify our party and win this fall, and we are totally committed to working together to achieve that goal.”

Despite the positive tone of the statement, Ryan is still not committing to supporting Trump as the party’s nominee, although he said he was “encouraged” by their conversation Thursday

Okay, whatever. More of the warm fuzzies at the link. But what really gets me is how many loonies are out there.

As he shook his bags of money and made campaign promises like giving all women free manicures and pedicures, Trump supporter Johnny Rice stood in front of him with a mega-horn and sang religious songs in an attempt to drown out the protester. He then switched to sounding a ram’s horn that he bought on eBay.

“Okay: Believe in spiritual or don’t believe in spiritual, God spoke to me and said that he was raising up Trump to trump the evil government of Obama,” said Rice, 48, who lives in Maryland.

Wut?

Two activists from Code Pink held pink signs reading “Islamophobia is UnAmerican” and “Trump is a racist.” The group held up a red cardboard coffin that they said represented the death of the Republican Party and “all of the injustice” it has directed at minorities.

Barf.

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and House Speaker Paul D. Ryan struck a conciliatory tone after meeting in Washington Thursday, seeking to ease tensions that flared last week when Ryan said he is not ready to endorse the business mogul in his bid for the White House.

“While we were honest about our few differences, we recognize that there are also many important areas of common ground,” Trump and Ryan (R-Wis.) said in a joint statement shortly after their meeting at the Republican National Committee headquarters on Capitol Hill. “We will be having additional discussions, but remain confident there’s a great opportunity to unify our party and win this fall, and we are totally committed to working together to achieve that goal.”

Despite the positive tone of the statement, Ryan is still not committing to supporting Trump as the party’s nominee, although he said he was “encouraged” by their conversation Thursday

Okay, whatever. More of the warm fuzzies at the link. But what really gets me is how many loonies are out there.

As he shook his bags of money and made campaign promises like giving all women free manicures and pedicures, Trump supporter Johnny Rice stood in front of him with a mega-horn and sang religious songs in an attempt to drown out the protester. He then switched to sounding a ram’s horn that he bought on eBay.

“Okay: Believe in spiritual or don’t believe in spiritual, God spoke to me and said that he was raising up Trump to trump the evil government of Obama,” said Rice, 48, who lives in Maryland.

Wut?

Two activists from Code Pink held pink signs reading “Islamophobia is UnAmerican” and “Trump is a racist.” The group held up a red cardboard coffin that they said represented the death of the Republican Party and “all of the injustice” it has directed at minorities.

Barf.

I just noticed this: Trump had a secret closed door meeting with Republican Elites today. You know he said he wouldn't beg the politicians for anything so that he wouldn't have to be beholden to them right? You know he said he would never have secret meetings like these because he is rich and he can do whatever he wants right?

Trump is helping Ryan, more than Ryan is helping Trump. It goes a long way towards establishing Ryan to the throne of the GOP shortly after Trump's Golden dust settles after a Clinton landslide victory in 2016.

I just noticed this: Trump had a secret closed door meeting with Republican Elites today. You know he said he wouldn't beg the politicians for anything so that he wouldn't have to be beholden to them right? You know he said he would never have secret meetings like these because he is rich and he can do whatever he wants right?

Trump is helping Ryan, more than Ryan is helping Trump. It goes a long way towards establishing Ryan to the throne of the GOP shortly after Trump's Golden dust settles after a Clinton landslide victory in 2016.

Trump also has to hold political fundraising now.

Trump also has to hold political fundraising now.

Trump always left the door open to massive fundraising in the general. The idea that he would self-fund a billion dollar campaign is really ridiculous.

Trump always left the door open to massive fundraising in the general. The idea that he would self-fund a billion dollar campaign is really ridiculous.

But didn't trump establish himself as the number one choice amongst his followers by repeatedly saying that he would not be bought by anyone and did not actively seek out funds from the party establishment?

Give it more time, Trump and Ryan will **** this all up.

Sigh. Billion dollar campaigns are ridiculous no matter what your political leanings.

But yes, Trump would be silly not to take the money offered by the party. He would be wise not to take any large contributions from anybody who would appear to be a special interest though.

Closed door, yes, but secret? You been in a coma?
And if it was closed, how do you know there was begging ... by anyone?

Closed door, yes, but secret? You been in a coma?
And if it was closed, how do you know there was begging ... by anyone?

You just answered your own question. Secret meaning nobody knows but them, what was said. But the perception can be that Trump went to Ryan. Ryan obviously didn't go to Trump. Trump went begging to the RNC.

Trump, "Please Embrace me."
Ryan, "Maybe..."

You just answered your own question. Secret meaning nobody knows but them, what was said. But the perception can be that Trump went to Ryan. Ryan obviously didn't go to Trump. Trump went begging to the RNC.

Trump, "Please Embrace me."
Ryan, "Maybe..."

Everybody knew there was a meeting. It was no secret. It just wasn't open to the media. Calling it "closed door" was accurate enough.
And I believe Reince Priebus set up the meeting. I hadn't heard that either Trump or Ryan begged him to set it up.
And Trump met with a bunch of Rep Pols.
Still no indication of anyone begging anyone for anything during any of the meetings.

Everybody knew there was a meeting. It was no secret. It just wasn't open to the media. Calling it "closed door" was accurate enough.
And I believe Reince Priebus set up the meeting. I hadn't heard that either Trump or Ryan begged him to set it up.
And Trump met with a bunch of Rep Pols.
Still no indication of anyone begging anyone for anything during any of the meetings.

Yeah and if it was any other Republican doing this, Say Ted Cruz getting delegates, for example.
You guys would be howling about the evil Washington cabal. You are putting a lot of Trust in the deal-maker that he hasn't made deals with them. LOL. :lamo:lamo

Yeah and if it was any other Republican doing this, Say Ted Cruz getting delegates, for example.
You guys would be howling about the evil Washington cabal. You are putting a lot of Trust in the deal-maker that he hasn't made deals with them. LOL. :lamo:lamo

Huh?
I should tell you that I don't trust anyone, including Trump, until they show me they deserve it.
And I don't forget it when someone shows me they don't.
I just know the difference between conjecture and known facts and that was my point.

Huh?
I should tell you that I don't trust anyone, including Trump, until they show me they deserve it.
And I don't forget it when someone shows me they don't.
I just know the difference between conjecture and known facts and that was my point.

When has Trump deserved your trust? He has consistently and constantly lied all throughout the primary and is continuing to do it right to your face. That or he flip flops 180 on issue over issue just because he's talking to different people. Doing what a normal sleazy politician does best. Tell the crowd what it wants to hear. Trump may have done it a bit differently, sure but if you are expecting a big change coming to the system just because Trump is telling things you might want to hear, that's putting too much trust in one guy.

This I also half expect is Ryan's concern as well as many other Republicans.

When has Trump deserved your trust? He has consistently and constantly lied all throughout the primary and is continuing to do it right to your face. That or he flip flops 180 on issue over issue just because he's talking to different people. Doing what a normal sleazy politician does best. Tell the crowd what it wants to hear. Trump may have done it a bit differently, sure but if you are expecting a big change coming to the system just because Trump is telling things you might want to hear, that's putting too much trust in one guy.

This I also half expect is Ryan's concern as well as many other Republicans.

Who said he did?
You're political disenchantment is much too selective.
As for "many other Republicans" it applies to them, and Democrats, also because they have a lot to lose.
There will be a new book coming out, written by a Democrat, that exposes what's wrong with a lot of those we elected.
It sums up what both Parties have to lose.
I'm trying to find out where I saw it.
I'll post it if I do.

Who said he did?
You're political disenchantment is much too selective.
As for "many other Republicans" it applies to them, and Democrats, also because they have a lot to lose.
There will be a new book coming out, written by a Democrat, that exposes what's wrong with a lot of those we elected.
It sums up what both Parties have to lose.
I'm trying to find out where I saw it.
I'll post it if I do.

Yeah but Trump's just AS bad, if not WORSE!!!!

Yeah but Trump's just AS bad, if not WORSE!!!!

Have you had a chance to watch John Stewart's hour long interview with David Axelrod? In it Stewart frequently laments how honest good people go there and within a few years most of them have lost any glimmer of hope. Trump hasn't spent a day in Washington politics. Furthermore he's going straight from outside the system to the big chair. Now it could be very well that he's totally as corrupt without even being covered in the Washington slime but I see no reason to believe that.

Have you had a chance to watch John Stewart's hour long interview with David Axelrod? In it Stewart frequently laments how honest good people go there and within a few years most of them have lost any glimmer of hope. Trump hasn't spent a day in Washington politics. Furthermore he's going straight from outside the system to the big chair. Now it could be very well that he's totally as corrupt without even being covered in the Washington slime but I see no reason to believe that.

He is. The evidence is there, you just need to have a desire to look for it and for the life of me I can't figure out why Trump's previous actions (all of which I have outlined above) hasn't given plenty of reasons for more people to look into his past... Ugh I am seeing this Obama-loving all over again. BTW, I tend to stay away from Jon Stewart. I like Conan and Kimmel more. But Jay Leno was the King.

To his credit, Ryan's beliefs are in another hemisphere from Trump's beliefs. I can't see any reason why Ryan should compromise his beliefs because a Democrat is about to be given the Republican nomination.

I'm going to laugh my head off when Trumpster starts taking money from the "establishment" and the "elite".

If you notice, Trump always leaves the door open for anything, either pre-emptively or via plausible deniability afterward. Hence, his claims of being different from all the rest is just a bunch of crap.

Back
Top Bottom