• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump - Ryan Meeting

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So the Trump - Ryan meeting took place today. Paul Ryan is about to make a statement about the event, but the statements have been released from both Ryan and Trump describing the meeting as "great" and "good" and "an opportunity to unify the GOP."

"With that focus, we had a great conversation this morning. While we were honest about our few differences, we recognize that there are also many important areas of common ground. We will be having additional discussions, but remain confident there’s a great opportunity to unify our party and win this fall, and we are totally committed to working together to achieve that goal," Trump and Ryan said.

"This was our first meeting, but it was a very positive step toward unification.”

Dana Bash just had an interview with Reince Pribus and he resisted repeated efforts to discuss the interaction as anything more than "great" and "mutually cooperative."

What do you think was the result of this interaction? What do you think was discussed?

P.S. And now Ryan is launching into his speech. With a start about bringing up the drug epidemic...

So the Trump - Ryan meeting took place today. Paul Ryan is about to make a statement about the event, but the statements have been released from both Ryan and Trump describing the meeting as "great" and "good" and "an opportunity to unify the GOP."

Dana Bash just had an interview with Reince Pribus and he resisted repeated efforts to discuss the interaction as anything more than "great" and "mutually cooperative."

What do you think was the result of this interaction? What do you think was discussed?

P.S. And now Ryan is launching into his speech. With a start about bringing up the drug epidemic...

Watching him (Ryan) now. Thanks for giving us the heads up.

The media sounds none too happy.

Ryan is trying to do whatever he can to support the GOP and at the same time to not bring up the fact that trump does not hold to conservative ideals, not a enviable job and I kinda feel for him. Wanna bet he takes a good long shower to wash off the donald after that meeting is done. Personally I would have stuck to my ideas and told trump that I would decline attending the convention to support him as the GOP candidate. I wonder what is going on behind closed GOP doors, this must be diving some of them completely crazy with the idea of supporting the pretender donald, I think some of them will do everything in their power to ensure he does not win in Nov, good for them.

The media just wants to know what happened in the meeting or they want conflict. The statements and answers from all parties involved don't lend themselves to either event.

Ryan was being politically correct, he has to if he wants to try and get real Conservatives to back trump, the problem is how many will actually buy into the words since they already know trump is not one of them or holds the same conservative ideals. Going to be a hard race for the GOP and my guess is that many already know that the odds of them winning the Whitehouse are not all that good.

without the benefit of hindsight, the right move for Ryan would have been to stick to his guns against Trump, endure four years of Hillary Clinton, build congress during the midterm, and then run in 2020. if he wants to jump aboard the Trump ship, that's on him.

The media just wants to know what happened in the meeting or they want conflict. The statements and answers from all parties involved don't lend themselves to either event.

Because neither really said anything.

So this meeting reads to me as largely an attempt by Paul Ryan to place a positive spin and publicize the House GOP efforts to pass legislation. There doesn't appear as though much agreement took place based on the comments made publicly outside of a common desire to defeat Hillary Clinton. Paul Ryan kept mentioning the notion of attempting to find common core principals and one of the example he used was the "Constitution" which is about as broad as you can possibly get.

I will note, in all fairness, that the process of unification in this situation is unique because of the sheer amount of contentiousness that took place during the Primary.

without the benefit of hindsight, the right move for Ryan would have been to stick to his guns against Trump, endure four years of Hillary Clinton, build congress during the midterm, and then run in 2020. if he wants to jump aboard the Trump ship, that's on him.

imnho ryan has played this hand deftly
acknowledging the republican public's choice and expressing a willingness to assist a candidate he believes to be flawed
even after tRump took multiple shots at him for withholding his endorsement

if tRump wins, they have a basis of cooperation to move forward
if tRump loses, Ryan is viewed as a team player who astutely assessed the political fortune of the popular nominee

don't know what Ryan could have done to better play a bad hand

There really shouldn't be any conflict. Where does Trump oppose most conservatives? Religion? Hating Gays? Hating Blacks? Trying to waste everyone's time legislating morality?

Oh Trump wants to increase taxes? Yeah, we are supposed to do that during times of war. That's typically how wars get paid for until the GOP bought Ronald Reagan's voodoo magic of paying for wars by borrowing money from China.

Oh Trump wants to reassess our Trade deals? Boo ****ing hoo. None of the trade deals have delivered on the promise of more jobs to America in technology fields. Those tech jobs are getting outsourced and off-shored just like everything else.

Paul Ryan needs to put on his big boy pants and support Trump. The only job he's had in the private sector was working at McDonald's flipping burgers.

imnho ryan has played this hand deftly
acknowledging the republican public's choice and expressing a willingness to assist a candidate he believes to be flawed
even after tRump took multiple shots at him for withholding his endorsement

if tRump wins, they have a basis of cooperation to move forward
if tRump loses, Ryan is viewed as a team player who astutely assessed the political fortune of the popular nominee

don't know what Ryan could have done to better play a bad hand

i definitely wouldn't stump for the idiot if i were him. best case scenario now is that if this becomes (more of) a debacle, Ryan can say, "well, obviously, i had misgivings about a Trump candidacy. i gave him nominal support in order to try and unite the party. was he my first, second, or third choice? of course not."

but Christie as drooling lackey and Carson as the personification of minority support? they're toast if he loses. toast. ****, there's even a risk of them being more toasted if he wins.

i definitely wouldn't stump for the idiot if i were him. best case scenario now is that if this becomes (more of) a debacle, Ryan can say, "well, obviously, i had misgivings about a Trump candidacy. i gave him nominal support in order to try and unite the party. was he my first, second, or third choice? of course not."

but Christie as drooling lackey and Carson as the personification of minority support? they're toast if he loses. toast. ****, there's even a risk of them being more toasted if he wins.
Christie was already on his way out and when it comes to politics Carson was already a nobody who got lucky. If he would have taken some coffee before his public appearances he would have done much better.

Like any narcissistic bully, Trump does not respect those who bend the knee to him. He just finds them useful.

Like any narcissistic bully, Trump does not respect those who bend the knee to him. He just finds them useful.

can't disagree there.

Christie was already on his way out and when it comes to politics Carson was already a nobody who got lucky. If he would have taken some coffee before his public appearances he would have done much better.

Christie's schtick was to give unfiltered "straight talk" statements to the press. Trump did the same thing x10 with a bullhorn. basically, he outChristied Christie.

Ryan still has to face re-election in 2018. He may be okay because it's Wisconsin, but this **** he's pulling now is going to hurt that effort. It's certainly going to cast a shadow on his speakership. I don't think he'll be the speaker that much longer unless he can turn his reluctance into golden support PDQ.

There really shouldn't be any conflict. Where does Trump oppose most conservatives?

Hm. Universal Health Care, Raising the Minimum Wage, Raising Taxes, Printing our way out of Debt, Transgender Bathrooms, Opposing Entitlement Reform, Pro-Planned-Parenthood (probably still very Pro-Abortion), Pro Gun Restrictions, Trade Protectionism, withdrawing from our alliances abroad, Increasing the Size and Scope of the Federal Government, Giving the Executive Branch the power to round up and forcibly deport millions of American citizens, Expanding Executive Branch interference in business and the market, ...

Off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with more if I spent any time on it.

Then there is the constant lying. Trump isn't only "Post-Constitution", he's "Post-Reality". Truth is whatever the convenient narrative is - that's a liberal schtick.

The philosophical, policy, and political differences between Trump and conservatives are deep, and they go to core principles.

Hating Blacks?

Actually Trump was sued by the Justice Department for discriminating against blacks. You know how he says he never settles if he's right? Well, that one, he settled.

Oh Trump wants to increase taxes? Yeah, we are supposed to do that during times of war. That's typically how wars get paid for until the GOP bought Ronald Reagan's voodoo magic of paying for wars by borrowing money from China.

Actually, not only have wars traditionally been paid for by bond issuance, but defense spending is bouncing along at post-war lows:

DOD GDP.jpg

What is driving the increase in federal spending isn't defense (in fact, that has had a negative effect). It's entitlements. Those things that are scheduled to eat up the budget and then collapse, but which Trump refuses to reform.

538-growth-in-gov-spending.jpg

Oh Trump wants to reassess our Trade deals? Boo ****ing hoo.

:shrug: Protectionism isn't conservative. It isn't Free Market, and it damages the country that tries it.

None of the trade deals have delivered on the promise of more jobs to America in technology fields.

That's an interesting claim. Did you type it into your iPhone?

In reality-land, US manufacturing is at an all time high:

Manufacturing.jpg

It's just that our service industry has raced ahead even faster.

Paul Ryan needs to put on his big boy pants and support Trump.

:lol: there's a lot of things that bending the knee to a crude, value-less, childish bully can be described as. Putting On Big Boy Pants isn't on that list.

Last edited:
Christie's schtick was to give unfiltered "straight talk" statements to the press. Trump did the same thing x10 with a bullhorn. basically, he outChristied Christie.

Distinction: Christie, before he chose to become a soul-less lapdog, meant "straight talk" as "saying unpopular truths". Trump means "straight talk" as "saying popular falsehoods at a third grade level".

Distinction: Christie, before he chose to become a soul-less lapdog, meant "straight talk" as "saying unpopular truths". Trump means "straight talk" as "saying popular falsehoods at a third grade level".

yeah, Trump ran it into the ground and broke it off, for sure. even if you didn't agree with Christie, you could respect him on some level, though i disagree with him intensely about unions. i was sorry to see him standing behind Trump grinning like an idiot back when he first turned. Carson i could understand a little more, because he was pissed off about Cruz's attempt at Machiavellian tricks.

Ryan still has to face re-election in 2018. He may be okay because it's Wisconsin, but this **** he's pulling now is going to hurt that effort.

:lol: As of the latest polling, he's leading 78 to 14 over his primary competitor, in a district that voted for Cruz over Trump by ~20 percentage points, in a state where he enjoys a 78% approval rating among Republicans, the majority of whom voted against Trump.

From Paul Ryan's First Congressional District as of May 10:

Q: What is your opinion of Paul Ryan?
Favorable: 78%
Unfavorable: 15%
No opinion: 7%

Q: What is your opinion of Donald Trump?
Favorable: 41%
Unfavorable: 43%
No opinion: 16%

Q: What is your opinion of Sarah Palin?
Favorable: 24%
Unfavorable: 54%
No opinion: 22%

Q: The candidates in the Republican primary election for United States Congress are Paul Ryan and Paul Nehlen. If the election were held today, for whom would you vote?
Paul Ryan: 78%
Paul Nehlen: 14%
Undecided: 8%​

I think he'll survive. :)

But hey, his opponent has decided to really hit him on the issues - by attacking his kids' attendance at Catholic School.

Catholics are far and away the largest religious denomination in Wisconsin, so, that'll probably go over really well.

It's certainly going to cast a shadow on his speakership. I don't think he'll be the speaker that much longer unless he can turn his reluctance into golden support PDQ.

:lol: who's gonna take him down?

yeah, Trump ran it into the ground and broke it off, for sure. even if you didn't agree with Christie, you could respect him on some level, though i disagree with him intensely about unions. i was sorry to see him standing behind Trump grinning like an idiot back when he first turned. Carson i could understand a little more, because he was pissed off about Cruz's attempt at Machiavellian tricks.

Both men violated what they claimed were their core principles. I don't have respect, really, for either of them at this point. :(

See this is the problem

unify our party and win this fall

Its all about winning, without thinking what winning means, in this case putting a egomaniac in the most powerful position in the world. Someone who doesnt even subscribe to the GOP platform. Ryan at least is trying to be diplomatic. Hopefull in private he told Trump that he needs to stop acting like a jerk.

Ryan is trying to do whatever he can to support the GOP and at the same time to not bring up the fact that trump does not hold to conservative ideals, not a enviable job and I kinda feel for him. Wanna bet he takes a good long shower to wash off the donald after that meeting is done. Personally I would have stuck to my ideas and told trump that I would decline attending the convention to support him as the GOP candidate. I wonder what is going on behind closed GOP doors, this must be diving some of them completely crazy with the idea of supporting the pretender donald, I think some of them will do everything in their power to ensure he does not win in Nov, good for them.

A patheic spectacle Paul Ryan, true believer, prostrating himself before Donald Trump, true heathen.

A patheic spectacle Paul Ryan, true believer, prostrating himself before Donald Trump, true heathen.

Agreed, heck if Ryan had run he would probably be a shoe in to win, I guess he did not want to be involved with the circus, cannot blame him for that.

Back
Top Bottom