• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump right and wrong on ‘French’ wine tariffs

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From Associated Press

PARIS (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump is partly right but far from completely correct when he says that France’s “big tariffs” make it hard for American vintners to sell their wines to the French.

Wrong because customs duties on imported wines are applied not by France but by the European Union. Right because American tariffs are “globally” less than what Europe charges, the French customs authority says.

Prices aside, wine made in the U.S. is apparently appreciated in the European Union — the world’s premier importer — and in France, where the value of wine imported has risen 200 percent between 2008 and 2017, according to the French Federation of Wines and Spirits Exporters.

Trump went after France on several fronts in tweets Tuesday, including blasting tariffs on its emblematic wine.

COMMENT:-

Although the extra $0.06 per bottle that American "vintners" have to pay to export their plonk to Europe threatens the very basis of the American economy, I'm not all that concerned about Mr. Trump's statements - EXCEPT for the fact that they expose a total lack of knowledge of the governance of other countries.

PS - What do you think the reaction amongst the American public would have been if M. Marcon had made an equivalent statement on September 11?

PPS - Please understand that when I refer to "American 'vintners'", I'm only talking about the ones who can do house to house delivery using tanker trailers. MOST of the "craft vintners" produce very good wine that far exceeds Roma Wine's muscatel in quality.

From Associated Press

PARIS (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump is partly right but far from completely correct when he says that France’s “big tariffs” make it hard for American vintners to sell their wines to the French.

Wrong because customs duties on imported wines are applied not by France but by the European Union. Right because American tariffs are “globally” less than what Europe charges, the French customs authority says.

Prices aside, wine made in the U.S. is apparently appreciated in the European Union — the world’s premier importer — and in France, where the value of wine imported has risen 200 percent between 2008 and 2017, according to the French Federation of Wines and Spirits Exporters.

Trump went after France on several fronts in tweets Tuesday, including blasting tariffs on its emblematic wine.

COMMENT:-

Although the extra $0.06 per bottle that American "vintners" have to pay to export their plonk to Europe threatens the very basis of the American economy, I'm not all that concerned about Mr. Trump's statements - EXCEPT for the fact that they expose a total lack of knowledge of the governance of other countries.

PS - What do you think the reaction amongst the American public would have been if M. Marcon had made an equivalent statement on September 11?

PPS - Please understand that when I refer to "American 'vintners'", I'm only talking about the ones who can do house to house delivery using tanker trailers. MOST of the "craft vintners" produce very good wine that far exceeds Roma Wine's muscatel in quality.

6 cents a bottle? Really?
Well, maybe he can get it cut to a nickel and claim a 16.5% victory that saves the American economy.

Trump is wrong on anything tariff related.

1) American wine manufactures can not blame tariffs for lack of sales in Europe. The price difference is non existent.

2) Wine from Australia and Chile have the same tariffs as far as I know and they out sell American wines.

Why? It is a bit like American cars.. Europeans don't like or want them.

So as usual with Trump, he wants other nations to buy American crap they don't want or need.

And for the record.. American wine are fine but in many cases why buy California wine when you can buy French originals?

Sendt fra min SM-N9005 med Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom