• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

...Trump ridicules Ann Coulter, slams Fox News...

Trump is desperate to claim a "win" for building at least some part of the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) and would not dare veto even $2B (less than 10% of his original GWOT "deal") if offered in exchange for "expanded" DACA and making TPS into permanent residency. Wait and see.

Normally I hate the overuse of acronyms, but I adore "GWOT". Mind if I use it from now on? It isn't copyrighted, I assume?

Support for Trump has been hinged on one thing, the wall. This may have been a fatal flaw with Trump's strategy. He knew that if people were made to be afraid of illegals and of caravans coming to murder them, it would create a solid, loyal base that would never leave him. He was right about that. But he never for a moment considered that it might not be possible. He figured that as president, he could do just about whatever he wanted to, he would make it happen, so he kept the wall as his mantra in order to retain a solid base. But unlike in his private businesses, he found out a little too late that the U.S. government doesn't function that way and there's a Congress that needs to approve of those things he wants to waste government money on.

If he doesn't win this argument over the wall, no matter what means he has to resort to in order to get it, even declaring a national emergency, then he will have no chance at all of being reelected in 2020. He chose immigration as his hill to die on and if the wall doesn't happen then his career in politics is dead.

"The Wall" is merely symbolic of Trump's efforts to keep America white and keep the scary brown people away. If he backs away from this, he loses his base, plain and simple.

I'm sure that you see some great difference between not deporting those foreign nationals who lack legal status to remain here (for the rest of Trump's term in office) and granting them amnesty - I do not. Watch very carefully as the definition of a "dreamer" grows significantly from the Obama definition (must have come into the US by 6/15/2007 at age 16 or less) and "Temporary" Protective Status becomes permanent residency.
Considering what the courts did does it really make a big difference if he extends it or not?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Permanency is the issue its pathway to citizenship that is objected too but with that said anything done for DACA people should only go into effect contingent on the completion of the wall. We trusted the lefts promise in the 80s now it's their turn to trust the rights promise

You are aware that orrin hatch tried to have the employer sanctions removed from Reagan's amnesty right after passage, right?

Are you mad at him now that you do know, or did this knowledge trigger an avoidance response?

Nonsense, Trump has already added extending TPS status and DACA protections for at least three years in exchange for only about 1/5 of the Great Wall Of Trump funding that he wanted before. I expect that the demorats will demand that, and more, for perhaps $2B (at most) in Great Wall Of Trump funding.

I believe judges are forcing Trump to continue TPS status and DACA protections.

Its too soon to cut bait. The left is being premature about declaring victory. They want yo believe the fight is over but it is not.

I heard some shrewd advice today recommending trump to preemptively file a case in a freindly court to fight off the court challenges the dems are planning against him if he declares a national emergency. I would add to that that I would either grant a short funding extension but leave the ability to shut the government down if the courts try to usurp his presidential authority.

Democrats need to be made to understand that if they continue to be the party of NO hr will put s world of hurt on them and all their allies.

Here's hoping! How do you think Trump could hurt their allies? He needs leverage.
This fight is not about money. It's about power and we all know it.
Where can his power come from?

The definition of "dreamer" has already evolved greatly.
At this point, I'd rather Trump cut bait on wall funding and hope that he gets elected in 2020 and that Republicans regain control. Then, fulfill the promise. I think he'll be good for it.
I'm so disgusted with Dems that I hope they get nothing for DACA in making a deal for the wall.

Let Trump address it standing alone.
I think you may be on to what trump is planning to campaign on. Even if hr gets the wall started he is gonna run on being the only one who is willing to build the wall. A vote for him is a vote for the wall. Democrats know this too and they are doing everything possible to stop him from strengthening his position by getting it started before the election.

I think you may be on to what trump is planning to campaign on. Even if hr gets the wall started he is gonna run on being the only one who is willing to build the wall. A vote for him is a vote for the wall. Democrats know this too and they are doing everything possible to stop him from strengthening his position by getting it started before the election.

The smoke and mirrors are just that. We ALL know that this is about 2020.
Any attempt to make this about money, or "walls don't work" (they do) or "walls are immoral" is just insulting.

Normally I hate the overuse of acronyms, but I adore "GWOT". Mind if I use it from now on? It isn't copyrighted, I assume?

It may be confused with the Global War On Terror (GWOT) so I always spell it out first.

Its too soon to cut bait. The left is being premature about declaring victory. They want yo believe the fight is over but it is not.

I heard some shrewd advice today recommending trump to preemptively file a case in a freindly court to fight off the court challenges the dems are planning against him if he declares a national emergency. I would add to that that I would either grant a short funding extension but leave the ability to shut the government down if the courts try to usurp his presidential authority.

Democrats need to be made to understand that if they continue to be the party of NO hr will put s world of hurt on them and all their allies.

In a democracy, a president does not get his way just because he says so. If a "friendly court" gives him that dictatorial power, the purpose of a legislature will all but cease to exist. Now "friendly courts" could deny the same power to a Democratic president, but at that point, we might as well just shred the Constitution.

This is what we are reduced to when politics has lost all meaning because governing has become a zero-sum game of winners and losers. That is the antithesis of a liberal democracy.

Trump is nothing without Fox News constantly calling him a genius. I don't think this is a fight he wants.

im-donald-j-trump-the-j-stands-for-genius-30078664.png

The smoke and mirrors are just that. We ALL know that this is about 2020.
Any attempt to make this about money, or "walls don't work" (they do) or "walls are immoral" is just insulting.
That's the folly of the left. They dont understand that people are watching. If trump does not get funding it won't be from a lack of effort it will be from a lack of support in DC.

Imo this fight is going to come down to the voters. The I hate trump crowd vs his supporters. I dont pretend to know which side will win but I do believe the loser is gonna take massive losses in congressional seats. It has become a winner takes all fight.

Considering what the courts did does it really make a big difference if he extends it or not?

I am more concerned with expands DACA than extends DACA. Those who entered as children age 16 and under before 6/15/2007 is a much smaller number than those who entered as before age 18 and up to four years ago (before 3/1/2015?).

I believe judges are forcing Trump to continue TPS status and DACA protections.

That may be temporarily true but at least the SCOTUS can fix that - once Trump signs a federal law locking that policy in then it's done deal.

Keep kidding yourself.
It's not. I somewhat agree with your overall point that Trump may be willing to give more than he should and the majority of both parties are not interested in stopping the invasion. The fact is that the courts have already overruled Trumps attempt to deport illegals. It is out of his hands.

..and now he has fewer friends.

Believe it or not this brings him closer to impeachment. Once the right wing media turns on him (Truly, so we don't know how badly yet), then the Republican establishment will start to lose its fear of his base. When that happens they'll suddenly remember their beloved 'rule of law' and regain their backbones.

I even believe Hannity will turn on him if Murdoch sends the word down.

In a democracy, a president does not get his way just because he says so. If a "friendly court" gives him that dictatorial power, the purpose of a legislature will all but cease to exist. Now "friendly courts" could deny the same power to a Democratic president, but at that point, we might as well just shred the Constitution.

This is what we are reduced to when politics has lost all meaning because governing has become a zero-sum game of winners and losers. That is the antithesis of a liberal democracy.
By your definition the left already ended our democracy. They have made their bones by filing cases in courts freindly to their positions. It's a little late to cry about it now that that its bring suggested that the other side starts using the same tactic.

I am more concerned with expands DACA than extends DACA. Those who entered as children age 16 and under before 6/15/2007 is a much smaller number than those who entered as before age 18 and up to four years ago (before 3/1/2015?).
That's a fair concern

The Tyrant's Lash is going onto his core supporters now.

He failed to lead.

His armor is cracked and his weakness is exposed.

And the sky is falling.. so said chicken little!
Resist is going bonkers over this non-story.

I've been calling it "Trump Wall" for a while

One permanent thing that won't have his name removed after bankruptcy.

And the fact that that could actually be his motivation makes me kind of sad.

It's not. I somewhat agree with your overall point that Trump may be willing to give more than he should and the majority of both parties are not interested in stopping the invasion. The fact is that the courts have already overruled Trumps attempt to deport illegals. It is out of his hands.

Deportation is a very expensive process - it makes far more sense to remove the jobs magnate (mandate universal E-Verify) and simply have them self-deport.

That's the folly of the left. They dont understand that people are watching. If trump does not get funding it won't be from a lack of effort it will be from a lack of support in DC.

Imo this fight is going to come down to the voters. The I hate trump crowd vs his supporters. I dont pretend to know which side will win but I do believe the loser is gonna take massive losses in congressional seats. It has become a winner takes all fight.

Which is why I think he won't lose his base and am surprised how many conservative commentators don't get this. So, let him get back to all the other things on his agenda. Continue the economy and delivering on jobs, gdp and wages.
Also, Trump needs to schedule the SOTU and give it. Enough of Pelosi blocking.

Calling trump a wimp is probably the only news they have accurately reported in many years...

Back
Top Bottom