• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

...Trump ridicules Ann Coulter, slams Fox News...

Sen. Dick Durbin, one of the Democrat negotiators, has already said there will not be hundreds of additional miles of border fence without a permanent DACA/Dreamer deal.

Nothing temporary like Trump/GOP tried to pass last week will be considered.

I kind of like the Coulter bitch-slap though.

“I hear she’s become very hostile,” Trump told the Journal. “Maybe I didn’t return her phone call or something.”

Great line.

This is not quite what it is being made out to be.

It is not Trump vs. FoxNews, it is Trump vs. Ann Coulter with FoxNews being somewhat collateral data. In this case it started with Ann Coulter's response to Trump's "deal" to end the government shutdown and negotiate with Democrats over the next several weeks. No matter if it is another shutdown or not, Ann Coulter accused Trump of being a wimp then went on Bill Maher's show and spared over all of this including again Coulter being hard on Trump's handling of all this.

The irony is DP has had several conversations in other threads saying that Trump's reasoning for the shutdown in the first place was in response to the farthest right wanting the wall, appealing to that part of the GPO that arguably Ann Coulter is part of.

Now Trump caves and is getting the backlash from Ann Coulter who speaks to enough of that group to be somewhat meaningful to his base.

I am not a Trump supporter by any means but I think Trump deciding to take the bait and spar with Ann Coulter is not very wise, it puts him in a position to be arguing with someone via Twitter to speaks to enough of the far right that it would generate the wrong conversation for them to be having. Worse, Trump tends to be harsh on those that criticize him especially women making the whole thing a giant landmine headed into negotiations with Democrats.

I still do not think Trump will get his wall, odds are we'll see another shutdown, and how the far right aligns itself behind Trump's actions (or decides not to) impacts 2020. The base taking side will ultimately be about who is at the mic speaking to them about these last several weeks, I am unsure it can be kind to Trump but then again they are all used to being lied to.

We see Trump time and time again engage in Twitter fights with all sorts of people, going after someone who speaks to FoxNews all of which speaks to his base is not very wise.

I guess we should look on the bright side for our right leaning friends, FoxNews should get a ratings bump over this.

In the end, Trump and Coulter and FOX are all peas in the same pod. And, in the end, they will always come back to each other no matter their temporary lovers spats from time to time.

In fairness, I am about 80% convinced Republican politicians do not actually want a new wall which covers the entire border. It is much easier to campaign for a wall than it is to actually accomplish it and then pat yourself on the back for it.

Yep, once you account for those who see immigration (legal or not) as good for "job creators" (it keeps labor costs down thus profits up) and those who see immigration (legal or not) as accelerating favorable demographic changes then there are not enough congress critters left who see changing the current immigration policy situation as good public policy. They will vote for the occasional, symbolic legislative change, to be able to claim that they "took action on the issue", but without having much impact as the immigrants (legal or not) quickly find workarounds for (loopholes in?) the minor immigration policy changes made.

Yep, once you account for those who see immigration (legal or not) as good for "job creators" (it keeps labor costs down thus profits up) and those who see immigration (legal or not) as accelerating favorable demographic changes then there are not enough congress critters left who see changing the current immigration policy situation as good public policy. They will vote for the occasional, symbolic legislative change, to be able to claim that they "took action on the issue", but without having much impact as the immigrants (legal or not) quickly find workarounds for (loopholes in?) the minor immigration policy changes made.

It's only going to get worse as Democrats go radical Left.

It's only going to get worse as Democrats go radical Left.

Rest assured it will get worse even faster with Trump willing to "deal" (offering amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants?) in order to get a few (75 to 100?) miles of the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) funded by congress. This is the big problem with such bipartisan deals - some of the GWOT may be better than none of the GWOT but is it worth establishing the precedent that amnesty will be periodically be granted (traded?) for any improvement in border security or interior immigration law enforcement? The question then becomes - how many thousands of illegal immigrants 'had to be' granted amnesty for each mile of the GWOT added?

Rest assured it will get worse even faster with Trump willing to "deal" (offering amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants?) in order to get a few (75 to 100?) miles of the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) funded by congress. This is the big problem with such bipartisan deals - some of the GWOT may be better than none of the GWOT but is it worth establishing the precedent that amnesty will be periodically be granted (traded?) for any improvement in border security or interior immigration law enforcement? The question then becomes - how many thousands of illegal immigrants 'had to be' granted amnesty for each mile of the GWOT added?

Trump says he's not going to involve amnesty in this deal and I hope he doesn't. I do not think his failure to secure Congressional funding will break his chances in 2020. I know that's what the Democrats believe, hence the ridiculous excuses for not building the wall they supported just a few short years ago.
If Trump can't do it, he's got to cut bait and not allow this to drag him down. He should then continue focusing on the economy, jobs and the things he's been successful at.

Trump is nothing without Fox News constantly calling him a genius. I don't think this is a fight he wants.

If The Donald now groups Fox with 'faux news', then his followers will have nowhere to go for 'the truth' :)roll:) except The Donald's tweets.

I doubt that fox will abandon its role as state tv anytime soon.

Mmm...I dunno. Are they trying to appeal to Trump, or Trump's supporters? What makes them more money? They have done nothing but mirror the opinions and views of his base for a while now. Perhaps this is indicative of what his base is thinking...maybe Trump isn't Trump enough for them atm....hehe...

Trump says he's not going to involve amnesty in this deal and I hope he doesn't. I do not think his failure to secure Congressional funding will break his chances in 2020. I know that's what the Democrats believe, hence the ridiculous excuses for not building the wall they supported just a few short years ago.
If Trump can't do it, he's got to cut bait and not allow this to drag him down. He should then continue focusing on the economy, jobs and the things he's been successful at.

Nonsense, Trump has already added extending TPS status and DACA protections for at least three years in exchange for only about 1/5 of the Great Wall Of Trump funding that he wanted before. I expect that the demorats will demand that, and more, for perhaps $2B (at most) in Great Wall Of Trump funding.

Nonsense, Trump has already added extending TPS status and DACA protections for at least three years in exchange for only about 1/5 of the Great Wall Of Trump funding that he wanted before. I expect that the demorats will demand that, and more, for perhaps $2B (at most) in Great Wall Of Trump funding.

You just conflated amnesty (my word) with TPS and DACA protections (your words).

You just conflated amnesty (my word) with TPS and DACA protections (your words).

I'm sure that you see some great difference between not deporting those foreign nationals who lack legal status to remain here (for the rest of Trump's term in office) and granting them amnesty - I do not. Watch very carefully as the definition of a "dreamer" grows significantly from the Obama definition (must have come into the US by 6/15/2007 at age 16 or less) and "Temporary" Protective Status becomes permanent residency.

I'm sure that you see some great difference between not deporting those foreign nationals who lack legal status to remain here (for the rest of Trump's term in office) and granting them amnesty - I do not. Watch very carefully as the definition of a "dreamer" grows significantly from the Obama definition (must have come into the US by 6/15/2007 at age 16 or less) and "Temporary" Protective Status becomes permanent residency.

The definition of "dreamer" has already evolved greatly.
At this point, I'd rather Trump cut bait on wall funding and hope that he gets elected in 2020 and that Republicans regain control. Then, fulfill the promise. I think he'll be good for it.
I'm so disgusted with Dems that I hope they get nothing for DACA in making a deal for the wall.

Let Trump address it standing alone.

The definition of "dreamer" has already evolved greatly.
At this point, I'd rather Trump cut bait on wall funding and hope that he gets elected in 2020 and that Republicans regain control. Then, fulfill the promise. I think he'll be good for it.
I'm so disgusted with Dems that I hope they get nothing for DACA in making a deal for the wall.

Let Trump address it standing alone.

Trump is desperate to claim a "win" for building at least some part of the Great Wall Of Trump (GWOT) and would not dare veto even $2B (less than 10% of his original GWOT "deal") if offered in exchange for "expanded" DACA and making TPS into permanent residency. Wait and see.

Support for Trump has been hinged on one thing, the wall. This may have been a fatal flaw with Trump's strategy. He knew that if people were made to be afraid of illegals and of caravans coming to murder them, it would create a solid, loyal base that would never leave him. He was right about that. But he never for a moment considered that it might not be possible. He figured that as president, he could do just about whatever he wanted to, he would make it happen, so he kept the wall as his mantra in order to retain a solid base. But unlike in his private businesses, he found out a little too late that the U.S. government doesn't function that way and there's a Congress that needs to approve of those things he wants to waste government money on.

If he doesn't win this argument over the wall, no matter what means he has to resort to in order to get it, even declaring a national emergency, then he will have no chance at all of being reelected in 2020. He chose immigration as his hill to die on and if the wall doesn't happen then his career in politics is dead.

Of course they do NOT want a wall. They never did.. Their business and Corp donors LOVE immigrants, both legal and illegal,,, They work cheap. Trump has dozens of illegals working at his businesses..

The GOP has been taking tough about immigration for decades, but they never do a thing about it.. they talk tough to fire up their foaming at the mouth base. Trump screams 'build a wall' at his rallies and his base goes crazy.. But the GOP had 2 years to build that wall, but they and Trump didn't do a damn until the mid-terms and the Dems took the House. That gave the GOP a scapegoat, the Dems.

They've been lying to their base about being tough on immigration for decades.. And their base just keeps falling for that lie, it's like they like being lied to and conned.

I honestly believe the republican politicians rely primarily on one human foible.

We don't like to admit we have been fooled. Which is why conmen can hit the same mark more than once.

We will believe a pretty lie over an ugly truth WAY too often.

Sen. Dick Durbin, one of the Democrat negotiators, has already said there will not be hundreds of additional miles of border fence without a permanent DACA/Dreamer deal.

Nothing temporary like Trump/GOP tried to pass last week will be considered.
Permanency is the issue its pathway to citizenship that is objected too but with that said anything done for DACA people should only go into effect contingent on the completion of the wall. We trusted the lefts promise in the 80s now it's their turn to trust the rights promise

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's an interesting metric to equate it by.

That's an interesting metric to equate it by.

It's part of the 'art of the deal' for sure. What should also be considered is how much having 10% to 20% more of the border fitted with physical barriers would benefit the nation as opposed to having mandatory (and universal) E-Verify required for the deduction of direct labor costs by US "job creators".

Its too soon to cut bait. The left is being premature about declaring victory. They want yo believe the fight is over but it is not.

I heard some shrewd advice today recommending trump to preemptively file a case in a freindly court to fight off the court challenges the dems are planning against him if he declares a national emergency. I would add to that that I would either grant a short funding extension but leave the ability to shut the government down if the courts try to usurp his presidential authority.

Democrats need to be made to understand that if they continue to be the party of NO hr will put s world of hurt on them and all their allies.

That's not amnesty

Back
Top Bottom