• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Trump resists calls to disclose his tax returns

As mentioned several times prior, the release of tax returns by any candidate only serves a fodder for opponents of that candidate. People will always find something to criticize. It can only harm a campaign. No one is looking for a tax return in order to say, "Oh wow, that's impressive! I want to vote for him now!"

PR-wise, keeping the returns private is a stupid move.

"For us", you mean the #nevertrump crowd? Why should he pander to you? You've already gone on record saying you won't vote for him.
No. Us. The people he wants to be President of. You, me, them, us.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

How is the campaign issue going to harm him?

:shrug: The same way it harmed Romney - the longer he waits, the more obvious it is he has something to hide, the more clear it is that he doesn't want to go through the actual vetting process of being President. It's a losing issue for him if he doesn't.

Those of you clamoring to see them, aren't going to vote for him anyway.

You are confusing "those who are clamoring to see them" with "people who can be influenced by fact that he refuses to release them"

:shrug: The same way it harmed Romney - the longer he waits, the more obvious it is he has something to hide, the more clear it is that he doesn't want to go through the actual vetting process of being President. It's a losing issue for him if he doesn't.

You are confusing "those who are clamoring to see them" with "people who can be influenced by fact that he refuses to release them"

I wish he'd just tell people that he's not releasing them. I certainly wouldn't release them during an audit. I wonder when Hillary R Clinton will release the transcripts of her speeches she got paid so well to give... Oh right, she won't.

I wish he'd just tell people that he's not releasing them.

He's an attention - seeker. Playing this way and that way keeps the attention on him.

It's not even all that terribly unlikely that he's hoping to build a crescendo around the issue so that then he can release them to much fanfare, etc.

I certainly wouldn't release them during an audit.

There is no reason for him not to - as the IRS has made plain. There's also no reason at all for him to not simply release the years prior to the current audit.

Unless, of course, there is a reason. :) Then he won't do it.

I wonder when Hillary R Clinton will release the transcripts of her speeches she got paid so well to give... Oh right, she won't.

Well, that's how corrupt democrats roll.

Last edited:
He's an attention - seeker. Playing this way and that way keeps the attention on him.

It's not even all that terribly unlikely that he's hoping to build a crescendo around the issue so that then he can release them to much fanfare, etc.

There is no reason for him not to - as the IRS has made plain. There's also no reason at all for him to not simply release the years prior to the current audit.

Unless, of course, there is a reason. :) Then he won't do it.

Well, that's how corrupt democrats roll.

He's in the middle of an audit. That means that the IRS is going over his tax returns page by page, line by line looking for errors. Releasing his tax returns while that is pending would be utterly foolish. Every left leaning accountant and want to be CPA would go over those returns line by line and if any errors or even questions were discovered they'd be on the internet going viral. Talk about making the auditors day?

He's in the middle of an audit. That means that the IRS is going over his tax returns page by page, line by line looking for errors. Releasing his tax returns while that is pending would be utterly foolish. Every left leaning accountant and want to be CPA would go over those returns line by line and if any errors or even questions were discovered they'd be on the internet going viral. Talk about making the auditors day?

So? A) they IRS will find them. B) so it just makes the process faster

And C) he can release the years before. But he doesn't..... odd.

Yet D) he said earlier he would release, without reference to audit.

This isn't even a good excuse.

What does he have to hide? He has told us he is worth billions so finding billions in holdings wouldn't really surprise anyone.

Perhaps it is more about where those holdings are.

What does he have to hide? He has told us he is worth billions so finding billions in holdings wouldn't really surprise anyone.

Perhaps it is more about where those holdings are.
I think it's that he probably owes massive amounts of debt, and those holdings are exaggerated where they aren't in hoc.

exactly... there's no real useful information to be gleaned from tax returns..... this modern tradition of releasing them is dumb.
In 2012, we learned that Mitt Romney hosts his money off-shore and pays an extremely low tax-rate. That fact called into question Romney's line about people who pay low or no taxes -- he's one of them.

I think it's that he probably owes massive amounts of debt, and those holdings are exaggerated where they aren't in hoc.

It could also show that Trump isn't earning what a billionaire is supposed to earn, which questions how rich he really is.

What it shows is that Trump can't be taken at his word -- he'll renege if it suits him.

"I'll release them." Oh, no I won't.
I'll release them after November." Sure you will.
"My tax returns, none of your business."

What it shows is that Trump can't be taken at his word -- he'll renege if it suits him.

Well, yeah. If you wanted to make that case, you've got that and about couple of dozen other examples. This election is a competition between two of our body politics' biggest liars.

Well, yeah. If you wanted to make that case, you've got that and about couple of dozen other examples. This election is a competition between two of our body politics' biggest liars.

Except that one of them lies only for the purpose of maximizing attention on him. Even corrupt politicians don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom