• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump: Republicans, Really? Democrats, really?

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Folks, this trump thing just shows you how bad we as a country are when it comes to politics. Republicans closing thier eyes to the trump of the past, and democrats doing the same, coming down along party lines. Lets look at trump shall we?

NewsRoomAmerica.com - Trump 2008: Bush 'Evil;' Praises Obama

"Bush has been so bad, maybe the worst president in the history of this country. He has been so incompetent, so bad, so evil that I don't think any Republican could have won,"

"Regarding Obama, Trump said, "I think [he's] going to lead through consensus. It's not going to be just a bull run like Bush did. He just did whatever the hell he wanted. He'd go into a country, attack Iraq, which had nothing to do with the World Trade Center and just do it because he wanted to do it."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Donald Trump: "Obama Has Been The Worst President Ever"

""He's been a horrible president. I always said the worst president was Jimmy Carter, guess what? Jimmy Carter goes to second place. Barack Obama has been the worst president ever. [In] the history of this country, Barack Obama is number one," Donald Trump told Sean Hannity on FOX News."

Wait what? What happened to Bush, how did Carter leap frog him? :lamo

Donald Trump: We Need A Health Care System Like What Canada Has

“We must have universal healthcare,” wrote Trump. “I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one. We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by healthcare expenses.”

Donald Trump on Abortion

Trump clarified his views on abortion, saying he favors abortion rights, but respects those who oppose his position. “I believe it is a personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors,” he said.

Donald Trump on the Issues

One-time 14.25% tax on wealth, to erase national debt.

So lets review, Trump is an anti-war, pro universal health care, pro-abortion, pro-tax the wealthy, Supports an Assault weapons ban, potential candidate... And we have the left trashing him and the right praising.

Allah, Buddha, Jesus, WTF is going on here? :doh

"Donald Trump is a Liberal-Leaning Populist."
s040_030.gif

Last edited:
The scary thing about Trump running is that he's got something that overshadows almost everything else....celebrity status and name recognition.

If this is the best anyone can find to discredit Donald Trump, he may well be our next President. :rofl

Well, there goes Trumps chances in a Republican primary.

I sure hope so. The guy's a poser.

Couldn't agree more. He just says whatever he needs to say to make headlines and plug his reality show. It's advertising, not campaigning.

Well, there goes Trumps chances in a Republican primary.

I don't know so much about that. In the primary the vote will be split multiple ways, except in the cacauses of course he is unlikely to win cacauses. But in the other primaries, if the far right vote gets spit between multiple candidates and if Trump appears to be the only moderate, then he may pick up close to 100% of the moderate vote plus a good chunk of the independant vote. He may actually win quite a few primaries.

I'm not making any predictions though, my predictions rarely are right, I'm such a looser. If I do make any predictions, and if you choose to place a bet, you would be wise to bet against my predictions.

"Populist is right"...dude's just pandering. I suppose between all the Miss Teen South Carolinas, the Tara Conners, the Carrie Prejeans, Trump was like "I gotz to get me some media attention too!"

This is what alot of politicians do, I mean look at Mitt Romney, his stances of today are in steep contrast to his stances of a few years ago, and all because he wants to run for national office. This is a major problem of the 2 party system, people can't run on their own beliefs, they have to run on their parties beliefs.

This is what alot of politicians do, I mean look at Mitt Romney, his stances of today are in steep contrast to his stances of a few years ago, and all because he wants to run for national office. This is a major problem of the 2 party system, people can't run on their own beliefs, they have to run on their parties beliefs.

Yea, in the last election Mitt ran on reducing taxes of the middle class, you know, eliminating Death taxes (that the middle class doesn't pay anyway) and capital gains tax (which is primarally paid by the wealthy). Now if he wants to run on eleminating taxes on the rich, then so be it, it's his right, but I really resent it when he lies to the American public claiming that eliminating those are "middle class tax cuts". He's a scumbag in my book.

Of course most middle class Americans "buy it" and never bother to consider if they pay much or anything in death taxes or capital gains taxes, because they just "feel" like they are over taxed, even though they tend to pay very little in federal taxes.

I don't know so much about that. In the primary the vote will be split multiple ways, except in the cacauses of course he is unlikely to win cacauses. But in the other primaries, if the far right vote gets spit between multiple candidates and if Trump appears to be the only moderate, then he may pick up close to 100% of the moderate vote plus a good chunk of the independant vote. He may actually win quite a few primaries.
I hope you're wrong. If Republican voters give Trump the nomination, I'll be very disappointed in my party. What worries me is that people will vote for celebrity over substance. I'm not naive enough to think Repulican voters are above this.

I'm not making any predictions though, my predictions rarely are right, I'm such a looser. If I do make any predictions, and if you choose to place a bet, you would be wise to bet against my predictions.
I feel your pain. LOL.

Folks, this trump thing just shows you how bad we as a country are when it comes to politics. Republicans closing thier eyes to the trump of the past, and democrats doing the same, coming down along party lines. Lets look at trump shall we?

"Bush has been so bad, maybe the worst president in the history of this country. He has been so incompetent, so bad, so evil that I don't think any Republican could have won,"

"Regarding Obama, Trump said, "I think [he's] going to lead through consensus. It's not going to be just a bull run like Bush did. He just did whatever the hell he wanted. He'd go into a country, attack Iraq, which had nothing to do with the World Trade Center and just do it because he wanted to do it."

RealClearPolitics - Video - Donald Trump: "Obama Has Been The Worst President Ever"

""He's been a horrible president. I always said the worst president was Jimmy Carter, guess what? Jimmy Carter goes to second place. Barack Obama has been the worst president ever. [In] the history of this country, Barack Obama is number one," Donald Trump told Sean Hannity on FOX News."

“We must have universal healthcare,” wrote Trump. “I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one. We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by healthcare expenses.”

Donald Trump on Abortion

Trump clarified his views on abortion, saying he favors abortion rights, but respects those who oppose his position. “I believe it is a personal decision that should be left to the women and their doctors,” he said.

So lets review, Trump is an anti-war, pro universal health care, pro-abortion, pro-tax the wealthy, Supports an Assault weapons ban, potential candidate... And we have the left trashing him and the right praising.

s040_030.gif

It's like Ross Perot all over again. Logic has very little to do with it. :coffeepap

So what you are saying is that he is not a full on conservative and actually has nuanced positions. I can see how conservatives would be against that...

Seriously Rev, he is neither a liberal or democrat, nor does he claim to be one. I make no claims about whether he is a conservative or republican, it's not my place to judge that.

Donald Trump on Abortion

s040_030.gif

This is one of those cases where I honestly don't care where he falls on the issues. He's an obnoxious prick and that's all I really need to know. I'd campaign for Romney or Jindal or a number of other Republicans over him regardless of issues.

It's like Ross Perot all over again. Logic has very little to do with it. :coffeepap

Actually, his views are very logical. He stated that Bush was a terrible president. Now I have some sympathy for Bush, and I don't think that he was THAT bad, but he was certainly bad. There is nothing wrong or illogical with Trump expressing his personal feelings and being honest with them (as opposed to lieing to us like most candidates do).

The he expressed that he expected Obama to be a better president. After Obama didn't turn out to be a better president (a sentiment that I happen to agree with), he stated that Obama has been a "horrible" president. Yes, lots of us had hoped the Obama would be a great president, even some Republicans (it's not particularly patriotic to predict that a president will screw things up even worse). I am glad that Trump is humble enough and man enough to admit that he was wrong in his expectations.

Believing that personal decisions (abortion) are best left of to the individuals and doctors is something that many on both the left and the right believe. Remember, conservatives want government out of our lives and less laws and regulations and restrictions.

The need for universal healthcare is something that a large percent of our population believe in, it's not all that whacked out of an idea. Personally, I am against universal healthcare for a wide variety of reasons, but I can certainly understand why some people think that it is a good thing. I only which he would lend me his ear and I could give him a plan that is much better than universal healthcare, and much more cost effective, but will ensure that the vast majority of the time, finances would not be a barrier to obtaining health care.

As far as his suggestion that we should have a temporary tax to eleminate the debt, lots of conservatives have suggested that, and I actually prefer Trumps suggestion over theirs. Glenn Beck and OReily have both suggested a temporary tax to eleminate the debt.

Couldn't agree more. He just says whatever he needs to say to make headlines and plug his reality show. It's advertising, not campaigning.

I think Trump actually has a concern for the country, not just the amount of media attention he gets. Maybe his views and ideas are credible; you should not just throw him out because he has 'celebrity' status and television shows.

Thank you, Rev!

We may not agree often, but on The Donald being a big time media w**re, I think we both agree. Clearly, he's a political flip-flopper who will change his ideology depending on what hyperbole will garner him the most attention.

How anyone could even conceive of voting for this clown is beyond me. The far right, ultra-conservative, wing-nut fringe (Tea-Partiers) can have him!

While I still think trump is a massive joke. this is not a flip flop. It's a change in opinion based on the reality of the situation. He got suckered in by hope and change like the rest of the nimrods who voted for Obama. Now that he sees what Obama is really like....

Thank you, Rev!

We may not agree often, but on The Donald being a big time media w**re, I think we both agree. Clearly, he's a political flip-flopper who will change his ideology depending on what hyperbole will garner him the most attention.

How anyone could even conceive of voting for this clown is beyond me. The far right, ultra-conservative, wing-nut fringe (Tea-Partiers) can have him!

I don't know a whole lot about Trump. Can you explain when he as flip-flopped? I'm just looking for reasons to not vote for him, other than the fact that people say he is "egotistical" or don't like his TV show. So far, thats all I can find against the guy.

I really would think that he would be more appealing to moderates than the far right. He is clearly NOT far right, at least based on the little bit I have been able to find out about his political views. Looks to me, based on his position on health care and abortion, he is at least a little left of center on social issues. Maybe just barely right of center on economic issues. sounds to me that he may be a moderate libertarian.

Last edited:
While I still think trump is a massive joke. this is not a flip flop. It's a change in opinion based on the reality of the situation. He got suckered in by hope and change like the rest of the nimrods who voted for Obama. Now that he sees what Obama is really like....

You stopped the quotes too soon. He said that Bush was the worst president ever in 2008, then claims a couple years later that he "always" thought Carter was the worst president ever. So what happened? Where did Bush go?

I disagree, first it was Bush was the worst, then when he decided he may run, Obama was the worst since carter, all of the sudden, Bush is better?

I'm more concerned with how a left leaning populist is popular with republicans, and a scourge with democrats..... Mad Mad world my friend.

Actually, his views are very logical. He stated that Bush was a terrible president. Now I have some sympathy for Bush, and I don't think that he was THAT bad, but he was certainly bad. There is nothing wrong or illogical with Trump expressing his personal feelings and being honest with them (as opposed to lieing to us like most candidates do).

The he expressed that he expected Obama to be a better president. After Obama didn't turn out to be a better president (a sentiment that I happen to agree with), he stated that Obama has been a "horrible" president. Yes, lots of us had hoped the Obama would be a great president, even some Republicans (it's not particularly patriotic to predict that a president will screw things up even worse). I am glad that Trump is humble enough and man enough to admit that he was wrong in his expectations.

Believing that personal decisions (abortion) are best left of to the individuals and doctors is something that many on both the left and the right believe. Remember, conservatives want government out of our lives and less laws and regulations and restrictions.

The need for universal healthcare is something that a large percent of our population believe in, it's not all that whacked out of an idea. Personally, I am against universal healthcare for a wide variety of reasons, but I can certainly understand why some people think that it is a good thing. I only which he would lend me his ear and I could give him a plan that is much better than universal healthcare, and much more cost effective, but will ensure that the vast majority of the time, finances would not be a barrier to obtaining health care.

As far as his suggestion that we should have a temporary tax to eleminate the debt, lots of conservatives have suggested that, and I actually prefer Trumps suggestion over theirs. Glenn Beck and OReily have both suggested a temporary tax to eleminate the debt.

I think you're skipping his more controvestial stuff, like the birther nonsense, his opec stuff, and I'm not sure being link with Beck and O'Reily is a plus. ;)

BTW, the reference to Perot was on purpose. Perot had some ideas a lot of people liked and could be called reasonable. But his nutter side got the best of him. This is where they are similar.

Last edited:
You stopped the quotes too soon. He said that Bush was the worst president ever in 2008, then claims a couple years later that he "always" thought Carter was the worst president ever. So what happened? Where did Bush go?

Back to Crawford.

Back
Top Bottom