• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump reportedly ‘afraid’ to visit troops in combat zone

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Trump reportedly 'afraid' to visit troops in combat zone | MSNBC

It was the Associated Press that first broached the topic with Donald Trump last month, asking the president why he hadn’t yet visited a military base in a combat zone like in Iraq and Afghanistan. Trump replied that he’d do so eventually, though he didn’t see it as “overly necessary.”

He added in the same interview, “I’ve been very busy with everything that’s taking place here…. I’m doing a lot of things. I’m doing a lot of things.”
===============================

The real reason he hasn't visited the troops in over 2 years:

'The Washington Post has now reported on a brand new explanation.'

Trump has spoken privately about his fears over risks to his own life, according to a former senior White House official, who has discussed the issue with the president and spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly about Trump’s concerns.

“He’s never been interested in going,” the official said of Trump visiting troops in a combat zone, citing conversations with the president. “He’s afraid of those situations. He’s afraid people want to kill him.”

IOW, he's a pansy, scared of his own shadow.

It was the Associated Press that first broached the topic with Donald Trump last month, asking the president why he hadn’t yet visited a military base in a combat zone like in Iraq and Afghanistan. Trump replied that he’d do so eventually, though he didn’t see it as “overly necessary.”

He added in the same interview, “I’ve been very busy with everything that’s taking place here…. I’m doing a lot of things. I’m doing a lot of things.”

Trump has spoken privately about his fears over risks to his own life, according to a former senior White House official, who has discussed the issue with the president and spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly about Trump’s concerns.

“He’s never been interested in going,” the official said of Trump visiting troops in a combat zone, citing conversations with the president. “He’s afraid of those situations. He’s afraid people want to kill him.”

Oh. Another "former senior White House official". Unnamed, of course.

Moving on...

you know the alt left radicals are on a slow news day when they post anonymous sources from MSNBC.

Of course he is scared. The only surprising thing is that he would admit it to anyone.

He probably phrased it in some melodramatic, self-fluffing way about how the people in the Middle East are so afraid of him that they would want to take him out at any cost.

Visits to troops in combat zones:

Trump - 0
Obama - 7

We have no idea what was really said or why, and it is not surprising that "a former senior White House official" ran to The Washington Post.

It would not surprise me, but we need more for this story to hold.

Moving on...

Trump said part of the reason he doesn’t visit the troops is because he was against the wars. How do you feel about this?

he's a pansy, scared of his own shadow.

I know Trump pretty well having been subjected to hearing all about his bullchit for most of my adult life living in the NY area. I've always known that he's not only a coward but he's a bully. He's been able to bully whomever he feels like because he's rich. One of the most obnoxious things I've seen way before he ran for president was a visit to his gift shop in Trump Tower. The gift shop was ALL Trump crap. Trump T-shirts, Trump hats, Trump candles, Trump ties, Trump golf bags, Trump candy - little bars of chocolate wrapped in gold foil paper with the word 'TRUMP' in embossed letters. Browsing the gift shop was one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had. Of course I didn't buy a single thing, I only had to pass that Trump gift shop to get to the ladies room to pee.

I've seen Trump intimidated by a black female pastor at a speech he did in Flint Michigan. He was starting to speak to the people in the congregation as though he was at a rally and had promised the pastor there would be no politicization of his speech, it was all about the problems with Flint's water. She quickly approached the podium where he was droning on and warned him that this was not about politics. He was startled and quickly said "oh yes, yes, of course, okay, okay".

Trump has used the U.S. military as a political tool since he began his campaign. He liked having a dozen or more American flags behind him with an assortment of military men from each branch of service as his backdrop. He went on and on about how he loves the military and is going to take good care of our veterans.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/08/three-of-trumps-mar-a-lago-buddies-are-secretly-running-the-va

Three of his multi-millionaire buddies from Mar a-Lago are really running the Veterans Administration, since his pick to run the VA, Dr. Ronnie Jackson (Dr.Feelgood) had to drop out of the running when he came under harsh criticism for charges he dished out opioids, drank on the job and fostered a hostile work environment.

He got the military a increase by 2.4 percent on Jan. 1, 2018 — the largest in eight years. But pay increases are determined by a statutory formula, and Trump in fact requested an amount below the automatic adjustment for 2018. Congress overrode the president’s proposal, and Trump ultimately agreed to fully fund the increase as determined by federal law. Trump boasted that this raise was the first one that the military received in 10 years. But that was also a lie.

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Basic-
Pay/AnnualPayRaise/

Annual military pay raises are linked to the increase in private sector wages, as measured by the Employment Cost Index (ECI). In the 1990's, the annual military pay raise was capped at one-half percent below private-sector growth unless specifically granted a larger increase by Congress. The FY2000 National Defense Authorization Act directed that pay raises for 2000 through 2006 would automatically be one-half percent above the private-sector wage increases. Pay raises beginning in 2007 are equal to the increase in the ECI. Pay raises may exceed these automatic levels if authorized and funded by Congress.

The basic pay raises since 2007:
1 January 2007: 2.2%
1 April 2007: 0.5%
1 January 2008: 3.5%
1 January 2009: 3.9%
1 January 2010: 3.4%
1 January 2011: 1.4%
1 January 2012: 1.6%
1 January 2013: 1.7%
1 January 2014: 1.0%
1 January 2015: 1.0%
1 January 2016: 1.3%
1 January 2017: 2.1%
1 January 2018: 2.4%

Trump doesn't care about our military veterans, he doesn't care about those who gave their lives for this country and doesn't even consider their sacrifices important enough to lay a wreath on a grave at Arlington on Veterans Day. He USES them like he uses others.

Hugging an American flag and having a bunch of men in uniform as a backdrop is as patriotic as Trump can be. He uses 'fake patriotism' to keep his base and all our ex-veterans happy.

Attachments

• imageedit_4_8463215507.jpg
    imageedit_4_8463215507.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
you know the alt left radicals are on a slow news day when they post anonymous sources from MSNBC.

Trump said in his interview with Chris Wallace that his opposition to the wars is part of the reason he hasn’t visited the troops. How do you feel about this?

Moving on...

Gee, it’s almost like when you get a reputation for viciously attacking people who criticize you in any way, shape or form—- and your cult is even worse—- people lack any interest in exposing themselves as targets.

We have no idea what was really said or why, and it is not surprising that "a former senior White House official" ran to The Washington Post.

It would not surprise me, but we need more for this story to hold.

These things are usually relayed over drinks and dinner in Georgetown. It's gossip. Some nameless person said "thus and so". Who cares? I've heard that Adam Schiff has eaten a rat tail, too, and more than once. I can totally see him doing that.

These things are usually relayed over drinks and dinner in Georgetown. It's gossip. Some nameless person said "thus and so". Who cares? I've heard that Adam Schiff has eaten a rat tail, too, and more than once. I can totally see him doing that.

Trump said in his interview with Chris Wallace that his opposition to the wars is part of the reason he hasn’t visited the troops. How do you feel about this?

I feel that's the bulliest bull of the highest order of bullchittery.

<outrageous story> offends <groupA> while <groupB> vigorously defends......

Yawn. Pretty sure I read this one already.

1. [*=1]FDR visits Casablanca as Allied forces assault Tripoli, January 1943 Casablanca-Conference Franklin D. Roosevelt at the Casablanca Conference
    [*=1]FDR visits the Mediterranean island of Malta to confer with Winston Churchill, February 1945
    [*=1]Roosevelt meets Stalin and Churchill at Yalta, February 1945
    [*=1]Ike goes to Korea, December 1952
    [*=1]LBJ stops in Cam Ranh Bay, South Vietnam, 1966
    [*=1]LBJ returns to Cam Ranh Bay, South Vietnam, 1967
    [*=1]Nixon visits in Saigon, South Vietnam, July 1969
    [*=1]Reagan stops at the Korean DMZ for lunch, November 1983
    [*=1]Bush 41 drops in for Thanksgiving with U.S. troops during Desert Shield, 1990
    [*=1]Clinton with U.S. troops at Camp Casey, South Korea, 1993
    [*=1]Clinton visits U.S. troops in Bosnia, January 1996
    [*=1]Clinton returns to Bosnia in December 1997 to visit NATO and U.S. troops
    The president was accompanied by his wife and child, along with former Senator Bob Dole (Clinton defeated Dole in the 1996 election) and his wife Elizabeth, for the holiday visit with the troops.
    [*=1]Bush 43 grabs chow with the troops in South Korea, 2002
    [*=1]Bush 43 surprises troops in Iraq, November 2003 (Thanksgiving day)
    [*=1]Bush 43 returns to South Korea, Osan Air Base, 2005
    [*=1]Bush 43 visits Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, March 2006
    [*=1]Bush 43 visits troops in Baghdad, June 2006
    [*=1]Bush 43 visits Al-Anbar province, Iraq, September 2007
    [*=1]Bush 43 returns to South Korea, August 2008
    [*=1]Bush 43 makes one last stop in Iraq, December 2008
    [*=1]Obama stops in Iraq to see the troops, April 2009
    [*=1]Obama stops into Osan Air Base, South Korea, November 2009
    [*=1]Obama makes his first stop at Bagram Air Base, December 2010
    [*=1]Obama visits the DMZ, South Korea, March 2012
    [*=1]Obama makes his second trip to Afghanistan, May 2012
    [*=1]Obama visits Yongsan Garrison, South Korea 2014
    [*=1]Obama makes a trip to Afghanistan, May 2014
No POTUS, other than Trump, in modern times has been afraid to visit the troops he commanded, and no modern POTUS has been more dissemblingly effusive about his support for veterans.

When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool, you end up sounding like a moron instead.
-- Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

I feel fine about it. If the charge mentioned in the OP had any merit, there'd be attribution. Having the president visit our troops isn't a high priority for me. It might be a "nice" gesture, but it's still just a gesture. The president gets to go home after, and the troops remain where they are.

Visits to troops in combat zones:

Trump - 0
Obama - 7

Would be interesting to see a comparison of attendance in numbers of official ceremonies held in the rain.... (with or without an umbrella)

Trump said part of the reason he doesn’t visit the troops is because he was against the wars. How do you feel about this?

I'm against wars, too...and I've been there...done that.

Gee, it’s almost like when you get a reputation for viciously attacking people who criticize you in any way, shape or form—- and your cult is even worse—- people lack any interest in exposing themselves as targets.

No. It's nothing like that.

It's like not being interested in rumors from unnamed sources.

Outside of watching FOX on TV - Trump does precious little with his time.

Now we discover he is a coward in addition to all his other failings.

Back
Top Bottom