• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Trump rejects shutdown deal Republicans negotiated with Republicans

Ah, I see, so is this also true of any legislator that gets federal money for their state, or constituents? In other words, hold out until they get what they want? Ya know, how it's done in congress for oh I dunno, like forever.. LOL

You guys crack me up..:lamo

Tim-

So you should be able to compile a nice long list of all the other state lawmakers who have triggered massive shutdowns of the government over..."forever".

I'll watch this space.

You aren't listening. We don't negotiate with hostage takers. It's been Govt. policy for decades. If Trump wants his pet project he will do it like every other President has. Make a deal with the opposition that satisfies both parties to get the votes.

Here's your problem and the question why aren't you outraged over the information in this link? Would you invest 5 billion dollars to reduce these expenses? Pass the bill with the 5 billion in it then hold Trump responsible if the positive results aren't generated

https://fairus.org/issue/publicatio...n-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers

So you should be able to compile a nice long list of all the other state lawmakers who have triggered massive shutdowns of the government over..."forever".

I'll watch this space.

How about every single bill every passed, where a swing vote or two were needed in order to pass? I seem to recall just recently that Obamacare needed several dems to get on board, but they refused until funds were allocated to their respective states. I could look it up, but really, do I need too? Are you denying this axiom about America politics?

Tim-

Yes, and this applies to Trump exactly how?

It seems I make the mistake sometimes of thinking that people on a political forum might actually keep up with the news.

What is Trump, the man, personally receiving from this? Jesus, dude, by your whimsical definition, ANY legislation bargained for like ever is by way of extortion. ;)

In short, your mind is very small, or completely suffering from TDS that it is incapable of clear thought.

Tim-

Yeah... That's not my definition. Looks like another con at war with the dictionary.

It seems I make the mistake sometimes of thinking that people on a political forum might actually keep up with the news.

Yeah... That's not my definition. Looks like another con at war with the dictionary.

And of course none of the information in the attached is relevant or the responsibility of the Federal govt. Then then there is the human cost which doesn't resonate

https://fairus.org/issue/publicatio...n-illegal-immigration-united-states-taxpayers

Yes, and this applies to Trump exactly how? What is Trump, the man, personally receiving from this? Jesus, dude, by your whimsical definition, ANY legislation bargained for like ever is by way of extortion. ;)

In short, your mind is very small, or completely suffering from TDS that it is incapable of clear thought.

Tim-

Have you ever heard of "kick backs"? Why do you think Trump won't demand them from all the contractors he gives a deal for construction of this wall? Trump is never involved in any construction where he is not rewarded.

From the rubric article:
"The GOP group tried to jump start bipartisan talks before Trump declares a national emergency to get his wall. But the president rejected their idea to allow congressional committees to sort out his border wall request while the government reopened, deeming the idea likely to leave him with nothing to show for the shutdown."​
As usual, Trump's choices are made with regard to their impact on himself, not the country.

Senators need to install a majority leader who believes Congress is a separate and co-equal branch of government. It's ridiculous that McConnell won't bring to the Senate floor an appropriations bill that will obtain a so-called supermajority.

This is not how faithful Democracy works.

Choosing to irresponsibly allow government services to lapse in to order to extort your opposition to change their votes, is not only unacceptable politics that shouldn't be tolerated, it's downright un-american in its morality.

Refusing to sustain national security is immoral and un-American.

You aren't listening. We don't negotiate with hostage takers. It's been Govt. policy for decades. If Trump wants his pet project he will do it like every other President has. Make a deal with the opposition that satisfies both parties to get the votes.

Why are you acting as though this is the first shutdown over funding in American history? We’re waiting for Pelosi and Schumer to make a counteroffer in exchange for the $5 billion.

I completely disagree. Legislation requires the President’s signature and he’s under no obligation to do that for nothing.

The legislation created and submitted for his signature isn't about him, but he treats it as though it is.

Have you ever heard of "kick backs"? Why do you think Trump won't demand them from all the contractors he gives a deal for construction of this wall? Trump is never involved in any construction where he is not rewarded.

The President doesn't hand pick contractors... There's a very specific process for awarding bids, but that's a whole other level of corruption not immediately before us in this topic.

Tim-

The legislation created and submitted for his signature isn't about him, but he treats it as though it is.

It is about him. It’s about every President. They submit a proposal and Congress sends what is more or less a counteroffer for his consideration and signature. That doesn’t mean perpetuate a shutdown because you think you’re entitled to an on-demand Presidential signature in exchange for nothing.

Why are you acting as though this is the first shutdown over funding in American history? We’re waiting for Pelosi and Schumer to make a counteroffer in exchange for the $5 billion.

Because this IS the first shutdown ever caused by a President demanding funding for a pet project in "American history". Trump knows there will be no offers as long as Govt. is shut down. He is not interested in deals. He had one with wall funding and reneged on it. He wants his way or the highway. It is beyond wrong, it is seditious.

Legislation, all legislation, is for the good of the people. Congress is pissing on The People of The United States by refusing to secure the border.

It's painfully obvious that the Democrats and some Republicans care more about non-citizens than they do about United States citizens.

Because this IS the first shutdown ever caused by a President demanding funding for a pet project in "American history". Trump knows there will be no offers as long as Govt. is shut down. He is not interested in deals. He had one with wall funding and reneged on it. He wants his way or the highway. It is beyond wrong, it is seditious.

Don’t say the President isn’t interested in deals that you aren’t offering. And no it isn’t. There was a government shutdown for 16 days over the ACA and we didn’t see anyone losing their **** about how federal employees would pay their mortgages.

The 2013 shutdown came about because Obama wasn't going to sign any bill that defunded Obamacare.

I completely disagree. Legislation requires the President’s signature and he’s under no obligation to do that for nothing.
No, it doesn't.

We should not negotiate with hostage takers. We did in the past, and now because we have, it's now accepted as the normal thing to do when democracy doesn't go the way they wanted.

If we reward the hostage takers, we can count on them using it like their new toy from now on.
I partly blame the Democrats.

Republicans are like children and much like children, when they are rewarded for bad behavior they not only continue that behavior, but push further to see what else they can get away with. The DNC should have made the Republicans suffer the consequences and pay a price for these shutdowns a long, long time ago.

That's why Graham and company are just melting down. They didn't believe the Democrats would follow through in making them take responsibility for this shutdown, and now that they are holding them accountable, they are like a child after getting spanked for the first time.

They will think twice before shutting the government down next time.

So.....what was the deal? Are you sure it was one Democrats would have accepted?

How about, just for once, you stop trying to turn every last thing away from the people you vote for and onto "Democrats"? It's completely ****ing ludicrous.

The GOP didn't give Trump his stupid wall money when they controlled the house. I have no doubt that you find it utterly nothing wrong with the fact that Trump only made a big deal the moment the Dems were coming in. No doubt you have some elaborate theory about how deep states and ocasio-ortez conspired to force Trump to only throw a tantrum once they entered office. Whatever the cause of the GOP not trying to get wall money for an alleged crisis when they controlled the legislature and executive, you no doubt do not care or if you care you blame Democrats. Fine. That's covered.

Next?

Now he's turning down any prospective deal the GOP might give him. And of course, he's not willing to give the Democrats anything anyway (after all, they previously offered him his entire stupid wall in exchange for DACA). Of course, yet again, you want it to be because of something the Demorats might hypothetically done had Trump not ruled it out.

:roll:

Just stop. It's transparent. So blindingly transparent.

LOL FAIR is not a unbiased source and you know it. If illegals are such a "burden" why do they all have jobs? Are they a "burden" to their employers too?

Because they all don't have jobs and why wouldn't you prevent them from getting here instead of rounding them up and trying to deport them? You give me another source that lists costs for illegals which is something you have never done. Keep spouting the liberal talking points about employers being the problem totally ignoring the hole in the dike.

Costs to federal, state, and local coffers is staggering so why isn't that an issue for you?

The President doesn't hand pick contractors... There's a very specific process for awarding bids, but that's a whole other level of corruption not immediately before us in this topic.

Tim-

Actually no large institutions that could actually be capable of the job have even applied. So it is ripe territory for rip-off artists who will "sweeten the pot" for Trumps approval and anyone who thinks that is not needed is incredibly naive.

One company that is highlighting its lack of interest in the project is AECOM, a multinational engineering firm that posted $17 billion in revenue for fiscal year 2016; Engineering News Record has named it #1 among its top 500 design firms for the last 7 years running. Chris Bauer, an executive vice president for AECOM, made a point of calling CityLab to note that the firm’s name was nowhere to be found on the list of interested companies.

An official at another international building company echoed that sentiment. “We have no interest in the border wall,” said the official, who was not authorized to speak for the entire firm. “As most builders know, it’s suicide."

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/heres-what-global-building-companies-say-about-designing-trumps-wall/518475/

No wall, no deal, period! Staying strong, unlike past republicans, including the RINO's currently sitting in Congress. :)

These idiots haven't figured out this yet, Trump is not to be bullied like past Republican Presidents!

Tim-

What has he given up in return for his wall?

Idiots also haven't figured out yet that Trump is not a dictator. He is not the sole decision maker in this country. He is obligated to work with the Congress. The Constitution, you know.

I partly blame the Democrats.

Republicans are like children and much like children, when they are rewarded for bad behavior they not only continue that behavior, but push further to see what else they can get away with. The DNC should have made the Republicans suffer the consequences and pay a price for these shutdowns a long, long time ago.

That's why Graham and company are just melting down. They didn't believe the Democrats would follow through in making them take responsibility for this shutdown, and now that they are holding them accountable, they are like children getting spanked for the first time.

They will think twice before shutting the government down next time.

So it is bad behavior to focus on preventing illegals thus reducing human and fiscal costs?

How about, just for once, you stop trying to turn every last thing away from the people you vote for and onto "Democrats"? It's completely ****ing ludicrous.

The GOP didn't give Trump his stupid wall money when they controlled the house. I have no doubt that you find it utterly nothing wrong with the fact that Trump only made a big deal the moment the Dems were coming in. No doubt you have some elaborate theory about how deep states and ocasio-ortez conspired to force Trump to only throw a tantrum once they entered office.

Now he's turning down any prospective deal the GOP might give him. Of course, you want it to be because of something the Demorats might hypothetically done had Trump not ruled it out? Obama probably did it, with his mind control worms from space....

:roll:

How about you come teach my cat how to play Bridge. You have just as much likelihood of success as what you requested of him.

Back
Top Bottom